• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Gun Porn

I’d feel a whole lot worse as the owner who sold it!

"92WC" is not on roster in California so there is no hope of finding another one. It was priced a little over MSRP so I passed. I've come to realize that this premium is the California tax for off roster models.
 
Ok. Guns won’t be illegal, just harder to get.

California has a gun roster. We can only purchase hand guns that are on the roster. For a manufacturer to get a gun on the roster, the gun must have a loaded chamber indicator and a magazine disconnect. They must also pay a fee.
The guns will drop off the roster the first of each year unless the manufacturer pays to have them remain on the roster.

Older guns without those two features may still be on the roster.

Glocks have been banned, but if you already own one you may keep it. And FFLs can sell what’s in stock, from what an FFL told me earlier this month.

Currently one needs a firearm safety certificate to purchase. This involves taking a test. It’s good for 5 years.
California wants to change that to a permit to purchase. This would require buyers to complete a minimum of 4 hours classroom training, and range time with an instructor. All to be paid for by the buyer.

On top of the cost of guns and ammo and sales tax, there is an additional 11% tax.

Let’s see how this post fares.
And a little additional info for CA gun owners:

If you kick the bucket and want your guns to go to your wife or kids, they have 30 days to initiate the transfer, provided they also have firearms safety cert, and at the cost of $19 per firearm. No FFL needed for these transactions.
 
And a little additional info for CA gun owners:

If you kick the bucket and want your guns to go to your wife or kids, they have 30 days to initiate the transfer, provided they also have firearms safety cert, and at the cost of $19 per firearm. No FFL needed for these transactions.
What if they just disappear to another state?
 
I'm pretty-sure that's not true unless they are federally-restricted weapons like machine guns or silencers, etc. From there it goes by state law as usedto mentioned.
Federal Transfer Rules
    • Private sales and gifts: Under federal law, unlicensed individuals cannot transfer a firearm directly to a resident of another state. The gun must be shipped to an FFL in the recipient's home state. The receiving FFL then conducts the background check and transfers the firearm. [1, 2]
    • Purchasing from a dealer: If you buy a handgun from an out-of-state FFL, it must be shipped to an FFL in your home state for transfer. If you buy a rifle or shotgun in person at an out-of-state FFL, you can take direct delivery only if the sale complies with the laws of both states. [1]
 
That's only if you ship them through the mail or they are federally-regulated guns such as machine guns, silencers, etc.

We're talking inherited guns here. Not private sales or gifts.

When an FFL is NOT Required
    • Same State: If the deceased owner and you (the heir) live in the same state, the executor of the estate can hand the firearm directly to you, provided you can legally own a gun.
    • In-Person Pickup Across State Lines: If you travel to the state where the deceased lived and pick up the inherited firearm in person, you can legally transport it back to your home state yourself (as long as you can legally possess it and it complies with your destination state's laws).

When an FFL IS Required
    • Interstate Shipping: You cannot legally have a firearm mailed or shipped directly to your home from another state without going through an FFL. It must be shipped from an out-of-state executor/dealer to an FFL dealer in your home state, where you will complete a background check (ATF Form 4473).
    • Special Items (NFA firearms): If the inheritance includes National Firearms Act items like suppressors, short-barreled rifles, or machine guns, a special ATF Form 5 approval is required regardless of location.
 
Last edited:
I guess since the original post talked about inheriting a gun, I sit corrected. I was thinking of the purchase of guns from an out-of-state dealer, with shipping involved.
 
You are still supposed to comply with state laws though. If I died and had a collection of AR15 assault rifles and my heir lived in California or another state that restricts them, there might be some state regulations that prevent or restrict them from legally taking ownership of them or there might be some paperwork involved.

When my Father died in Illinois my Mother gave me a box with a couple handguns in it and I took them back with me to Tennessee. Totally-legal.
 
And a little additional info for CA gun owners:

If you kick the bucket and want your guns to go to your wife or kids, they have 30 days to initiate the transfer, provided they also have firearms safety cert, and at the cost of $19 per firearm. No FFL needed for these
Not sure how critical that 30 day limit is. When my dad passed, my mother was still alive (still is). So technically everything was left to her. We helped mom clear out their house on the coast, sell it, and move her down here. During this time mom gave me my dad’s service revolver and another revolver of his.

After the dust settled, which was long past the 30 days, I started looking into how to transfer the guns to me. At first it looked like an FFL was required, until I stumbled across the DOJ form.

Technically my mom and I should have taken the guns to an FFL and transferred them, because she was now the legal owner.

I decided to give the DOJ route a try and filled out the paperwork for each gun. I do have a safety certificate so good there. Included payment and sent it off.

Soon after I received confirmation of the approved transfer.

When purchasing another gun at an FFL, I told them this story, and they said that the DOJ just wants to know who has possession of the guns, and the rules are just there as guidelines. They even said if he had a gun that was not registered to him, I still could have transferred it this way.

My situation could have been an anomaly and this is not advice on doing it the way I did, but it worked for me.

That said, follow what usedto said.

Happy shooting.

Rob
 
Tennessee doesn't have gun registration. Most states don't. If I inherit a gun and the relative lives in any other state I am not required to do anything.

The only time the serial numbers are required in most states are if you sell to someone out of state or if you purchase a gun from a retailer. Private sales within the state are not required. I can walk down the street to my neighbor's house and buy a gun from him by simply handing his the cash and taking the gun home.

Now as most of you know who participate in this thread, I purchased a brand-new Colt King Cobra pistol a couple months ago from an online broker and had it shipped here to a gun store with a FFL. The serial #s are recorded then but the only record is the sales record. It is not "registered" per say but if the police were to find it used in a crime they could trace it back to me as the original purchaser. The same goes if I would have just purchased any new gun from the gun store. But 20 years from now that information might very well be irrelevent if gun laws stay the way they are today. It could have been sold ten times by then.

43 of the 50 states do not require any type of gun registration although some localities may have some form of registration. There are millions and millions of serial numbers that are not documented other than possibly who the original purchaser of the gun was (and even then that's sketchy depending on how long ago it was purchased from a retailer).

The police here have no way of knowing how many guns I own or what they are except for the ones that require federal registration like machine guns. I don't own any machine guns so they really don't know anything. If they dug deep enough they could find the serial #s of guns I purchased new but that doesn't mean I still own them.


States Requiring Registration for All Firearms
  • Hawaii: Requires registration for all firearms (both handguns and long guns).
  • District of Columbia: Requires registration for all firearms.

States Requiring Registration for Specific Types of Firearms
  • California: Requires registration for assault weapons and .50 caliber rifles, and maintains a database of all gun transfer records.
  • Connecticut: Requires registration for assault weapons and high-capacity magazines.
  • Maryland: Requires registration specifically for assault pistols.
  • Michigan: Requires registration/database entry for pistol purchases.
  • New Jersey: Requires registration for certain assault weapons.
  • New York: Requires registration for handguns (via licensing laws) and certain assault weapons.
 
Last edited:
Tennessee doesn't have gun registration. Most states don't. If I inherit a gun and the relative lives in any other state I am not required to do anything.

The only time the serial numbers are required in most states are if you sell to someone out of state or if you purchase a gun from a retailer. Private sales within the state are not required. I can walk down the street to my neighbor's house and buy a gun from him by simply handing his the cash and taking the gun home.

Now as most of you know who participate in this thread, I purchased a brand-new Colt King Cobra pistol a couple months ago from an online broker and had it shipped here to a gun store with a FFL. The serial #s are recorded then but the only record is the sales record. It is not "registered" per say but if the police were to find it used in a crime they could trace it back to me as the original purchaser. The same goes if I would have just purchased any new gun from the gun store. But 20 years from now that information might very well be irrelevent if gun laws stay the way they are today. It could have been sold ten times by then.

43 of the 50 states do not require any type of gun registration. There are millions and millions of serial numbers that are not documented other than possibly who the original purchaser of the gun was (and even then that's sketchy depending on how long ago it was purchased from a retailer).

The police here have no way of knowing how many guns I own or what they are except for the ones that require federal registration like machine guns.


States Requiring Registration for All Firearms
  • Hawaii: Requires registration for all firearms (both handguns and long guns).
  • District of Columbia: Requires registration for all firearms.

States Requiring Registration for Specific Types of Firearms
  • California: Requires registration for assault weapons and .50 caliber rifles, and maintains a database of all gun transfer records.
  • Connecticut: Requires registration for assault weapons and high-capacity magazines.
  • Maryland: Requires registration specifically for assault pistols.
  • Michigan: Requires registration/database entry for pistol purchases.
  • New Jersey: Requires registration for certain assault weapons.
Must be nice.

Actually in California ALL guns purchased legally must be registered to the buyer. Kind of like a car.

If you own an “assault weapon” it must be registered with the state as such.

Though, if I beat the crap out of someone with a stapler, is the stapler not an assault weapon?

Rob
 
Must be nice.

Actually in California ALL guns purchased legally must be registered to the buyer. Kind of like a car.

If you own an “assault weapon” it must be registered with the state as such.

Though, if I beat the crap out of someone with a stapler, is the stapler not an assault weapon?

Rob
Every state with "universal background checks" requires registration. It is done via attrition. That is the goal. That is the only goal.
 
...California: Requires registration for assault weapons and .50 caliber rifles, and maintains a database of all gun transfer records...

You sure about that? Everything I've read says possession of unregistered sidearms in CA is a big problem. You do not want to put yourself into a position of explaining to cops and prosecutors. .50 BMG rifles are banned in CA.
 
Back
Top Bottom