• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

H K st-7 - clean aluminium chassis - how do it?

havols

Well-Known Member
Hi AK members
I am trying to refurb an H / K st-7 old turntable
I already had help here at AK about a missing piece (RABCO). Ii is being provided
Now I need to remove some dirt from the chassis.
There are many yellowish dirts on it
This TT was kept for many years
As attached pics, it has some details
Until now, i just cleaned with a cotton and a bit of warm water - detergent soap.
It looks like some dirt has come out, but most of it is still on the chassis.
I readed here on AK about soaking for some time in hot water and soap. Would this be a good alternative?
If someone could help me with not aggressive to anodized technique,
I would appreciate it.
regards
 

Attachments

  • 20200610_071950.jpg
    20200610_071950.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 28
  • 20200610_072002.jpg
    20200610_072002.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 20200610_072008.jpg
    20200610_072008.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG-20200610-WA0001.jpeg
    IMG-20200610-WA0001.jpeg
    35.5 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG-20200610-WA0003.jpeg
    IMG-20200610-WA0003.jpeg
    41.3 KB · Views: 27
Register to hide this ad
Any polish will further ruin the brushed satin finish, perhaps a cleaner made for alloy vehicle wheels not a polish.
 
Stainless steel polish isn't an abrasive as far as I'm aware. Something like this:

61mFJehf-1L._SL1500_.jpg
 
Thanks for the answers.
I will read about polishing, although I am very afraid
Maybe i can´t find here a non abrasive or without ammonia or another substance that could damage aluminum.
I'm tending to something more conservative.
Thanks for your time
greetings
 
well.
I just tried it with hot water and kitchen soap.
little improvement. It's still very dirty.
I would appreciate some suggestions.
In the meantime I will try to find some cleaner without polish
 
Anodized aluminum can be very difficult to clean thoroughly, due to the vary nature of the anodized layer, which contains microscopic pores.

The same pores that permit it to be dyed various colors also collect all manner of grunge & grime. No amount of brushing will get into those pores.

Try a long soak with acetone to loosen it, then blast with water to try & flush it out.

An ultrasonic bath might do it too.

Whatever method you chose, do NOT use anything acidic. Acids dissolve the anodization.
 
Back
Top Bottom