• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Hakko

olddrum1

Well-Known Member
At one time there was a member here that had access to Hakko Soldering stations at a discount. Does anyone know if thats still available. Second question is what would be a good model number of one to own. Do very little soldering but have learned that having the right tool is important. Thanks a million.
Charlie B.
 
Register to hide this ad
The Hakko 888 is a reasonably priced model if your looking for a design with a fixed heating element and replaceable tips.

The Hakko 951 is more expensive but it has direct heating elements in each tip and has better recovery and temperature stability - Chris
 
I have the older FX-888 and have been happy with it. The current version I think is the FX-888d. Same basic thing as mine but digital controls for temperature, mine has a knob.
 
Thank you for the input. The one that just gave up here on the farm had been around 15 or so years. I am leaning towards the 888 but still sitting on the fence on this. Again thanks for the input.
 
Make sure that you ONLY purchase from an authorized Hakko distributor,a list of which can be found on the Hakko website.There are many fakes out there going for cheap (and some that are actually going for full price!) and they are absolute crap. The only guarantee of an authentic Hakko product is to buy from a listed distributor.

I have been using an FX-888D for quite some time now,and have found it to be an exceptionally good machine.Big plus;several temperature presets for different work requirements,lots of tip shapes and sizes,and the tips seem to last forever.
 
Frys Electronics often has the FX 888d on sale for $79.99 which is the price I got it at. You have to go to Frys.com and sign up for their discount codes.
 
I want to thank everyone here that commented. I went with the Hakko 888. Got it for 95$ Could have gotten one for the 79$ mentioned above but by the time shipping was added the 95$ was a buck cheaper. Actually spoke with Hakko about a dealer and the two I was looking at were practicing dealers of Hakko. They did say knockoffs were a problem as mentioned above. Again thank you to everyone.
I can now fix my Zero 100.
 
Here's the answer to your first question. B&D Enterprises used to be an advertiser with AK, and they offered discounts on soldering and desoldering stations, as well as other tools.

I was sorry to see them go.
 
B&D is a wonderful company. Matt was the AK contact but all the employees will give the best price on the equipment. The pricing is still really good for AK members.
 
Back
Top Bottom