• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

hammond m3 organ

hifijohn

Active Member
frequency response of a hammond m3 organ, believe it or not I found it on the curb, who in their right mind throws out a hammond organ??? a new power cord a few new tubes later and i have a working hammond organ.
hammond pedal response- the first peak is at 70hz, but the biggest is at 120hz, Im surprised how much bass it generates considering its an open back design, It doesnt have the best quality bass, it sounds more like fog horn.
hammond keyboard- this is the response with all the sliders pulled out. something that is usually not done.a solid output at 90hz and a smooth falling response from that to a little over 3khz.If your not familiar with the way the organ makes the tones , it uses over 90 gears that spin near a pickup coils. it has a startup motor which you use to get the whole thing going and then you switch in the run motor, though I cant understand why you cant use the same motor for both. and yes like anything mechanical you have to oil it a few times a year.

http://imgur.com/o4xvUDW

http://imgur.com/EiCnQ7e
 
Register to hide this ad
Very nice! I got a Hammond M-1 (well, just plain "M" - no selective vibrato or percussion) through CraigsList for free. A friend of mine picked it up, and four of us hauled it into my basement where it sits to this day, waiting for me to get around to fixing it. While I have numerous other keyboards, there's nothing quite like a Hammond organ. I'm hoping to put together a Leslie speaker of some sort using a bunch of parts I have. Anyway, here are some pics:

hammondfront.jpg

hammondback_small.jpg

hammondspeaker_small.jpg
 
I got a M2 for free a few years back. Nice Jensen 12" field coil woofer.
The tone wheel Hammonds are good for preserving, but the organs that use tubes for oscillators are best for parts. Whole crap load of 12ax7/12au7 in those
 
.If your not familiar with the way the organ makes the tones , it uses over 90 gears that spin near a pickup coils. it has a startup motor which you use to get the whole thing going and then you switch in the run motor, though I cant understand why you cant use the same motor for both. and yes like anything mechanical you have to oil it a few times a year.


The tone generator motor was developed by Hammond, first for use in clocks. It locks onto the 60 cycle wave rather than being voltage dependant. But this motor doesn't have the power to start the assembly and bring it up to speed.

There are IIRC 93 "gears" in the full console Hammond, but the spinets probably would have a few less seeing as the keyboards are truncated and you don't get a 16' stop (or the 5-1/3 for that matter but that would use existing tone wheels) on the lower keyboard. But, the M series does use the same tone wheels as the B, C, and D series.
 
I got a M2 for free a few years back. Nice Jensen 12" field coil woofer.
The tone wheel Hammonds are good for preserving, but the organs that use tubes for oscillators are best for parts. Whole crap load of 12ax7/12au7 in those

When Hammond stop using tone wheels in the last 10 years of production there were many complaints. I can listen to Emerson in a 1990s concert where he is obviously using a later Hammond provided by the staging company, and it sounds like crap in that it is "choppy." I instantly picked up on the difference and this is all I can attribute it too. It sounds like half of what he is playing is just "missing."

At the time, I even stated a new thread "What happened to Keith Emerson's Organ?" until I figured out what must have happened.
 
people seemed to have missed the point or the reputation of the organ has overtaken the intent of this post.This is part of my 'frequency response of instruments ' series.
 
I never did any frequency measurements with my M, but I know it wasn't very 'dynamic' with the internal speaker. I know the spinets lack the "foldback" which the larger console models employ, but I dunno if that has anything to do with it. In any case, it's much better served by wiring in a line out from the speaker connections.
-Adam
 
people seemed to have missed the point or the reputation of the organ has overtaken the intent of this post.This is part of my 'frequency response of instruments ' series.
Your thread has been hijacked. If you wish to see it alive again, please deposit £100,000 in unmarked bills... ;)

Had a lovely Hammond T-222 with built-in Leslie back in the 1990s and I miss it, but it wasn't practical to move when I moved from one continent to another in 2000.
 
I'm not a keyboard player -at all - but I LOVE the sound of a Hammond tonewheel organ pushing a Leslie speaker. I've had three, and currently have one in storage. I was given an M3 and a Leslie speaker by a church that just wanted them off the property. I spent hours in my downstairs office just holding a chord and switching the Leslie on and off! At one time, I even learned to "play" Gimme Some Lovin'. Great fun.

GeeDeeEmm
 
Back
Top Bottom