scottyh777
Super Member
Im late to the party on these cartridges but here are my thoughts on the Hanna EL and EH.
My associated equipment used is NAD Amps and Pre,Denon DP-6000,Sony TTS 8000 and 6000 Turntable's.VLP-90 Musical Fidelity and Graham Slee Relflex M Phono Stage.I used a Luxman TA-1 low Mass Tonearm (about 9 grams).I used the calculator to determine the Resonance Frequency and used a multiple of times 1.75 for the Hana'a compliance (10) and that gave me 17.5 .I got a Resonance Frequency of around 10Hz
right where I want to be in terms of compliance.I will also state that these carts ideally should be used in a Low Mass Arm and definitely not heavy.Perhaps a Rega RB would be just fine.
First off the Hana EH.Although this is High Output it's actually way to low for my tastes.I also use a Denon DL-160 and 110 and although these are stated at 1.7MV output they play like the equivalent of a 4-5 MV Moving Magnet.Probably one of the main reasons the Denon 160/110 are much beloved.The Hana on the other hand are listed at 2.00MV and played exactly as stated for better or worse.In this case it was for the worst.The sonics were great but it lacked the slam of the Denon I am used to.Some people would say "Just increase the volume".I say it's not that simple.Im looking for 4-5 MV output from my carts whether they are low,high,medium ect.I do have several step ups here but then it would be extremely loud.For these reasons stated above the EH was returned and the vendor took it back in exchange for a EL.
I found that using the MC setting on my Musical Fidelity V-90 at 100 ohms with the EL was absolutely superb.
Hana states greater than 400 ohms setting should be used.I disagree with this and at 100 it sounded equivalent
to Moving Magnet 4-5 MV output.The EL had a nice on the side of warm sonics with a tic above average bass.
It's highly recommended by me and im very pleased with the purchase.
So, huge thumbs up on the EL and thumbs down on the EH
My associated equipment used is NAD Amps and Pre,Denon DP-6000,Sony TTS 8000 and 6000 Turntable's.VLP-90 Musical Fidelity and Graham Slee Relflex M Phono Stage.I used a Luxman TA-1 low Mass Tonearm (about 9 grams).I used the calculator to determine the Resonance Frequency and used a multiple of times 1.75 for the Hana'a compliance (10) and that gave me 17.5 .I got a Resonance Frequency of around 10Hz
right where I want to be in terms of compliance.I will also state that these carts ideally should be used in a Low Mass Arm and definitely not heavy.Perhaps a Rega RB would be just fine.
First off the Hana EH.Although this is High Output it's actually way to low for my tastes.I also use a Denon DL-160 and 110 and although these are stated at 1.7MV output they play like the equivalent of a 4-5 MV Moving Magnet.Probably one of the main reasons the Denon 160/110 are much beloved.The Hana on the other hand are listed at 2.00MV and played exactly as stated for better or worse.In this case it was for the worst.The sonics were great but it lacked the slam of the Denon I am used to.Some people would say "Just increase the volume".I say it's not that simple.Im looking for 4-5 MV output from my carts whether they are low,high,medium ect.I do have several step ups here but then it would be extremely loud.For these reasons stated above the EH was returned and the vendor took it back in exchange for a EL.
I found that using the MC setting on my Musical Fidelity V-90 at 100 ohms with the EL was absolutely superb.
Hana states greater than 400 ohms setting should be used.I disagree with this and at 100 it sounded equivalent
to Moving Magnet 4-5 MV output.The EL had a nice on the side of warm sonics with a tic above average bass.
It's highly recommended by me and im very pleased with the purchase.
So, huge thumbs up on the EL and thumbs down on the EH