• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Harman Kardon 330c - what vintage?

I own H-K 330A, B, & C receivers....plus a (30wpc) butt-ugly H-K 450 receiver.

All the H-K 330 series receivers are 15wpc.
The 330A & 330B have similar styling and sound.
Styling changed on the 330C and...IMO...so did the sound...even better than the A & B series!?
Styling again changed for the 330i....but I cannot comment on the sound.
However...build quality seems to be NOT as robust as a Marantz or Sansui...I've had to deal with maint. issues on all 4 receivers!?
I especially like the amplifier sections.
Those 15wpc 330's can drive efficient speakers to ungodly sound levels....and sound really nice doing it too!

Steve

Got a 330c, deox'd, lamps replaced and this thing rocks my Pioneer humpem hundreds like you wouldn't believe.
 
Really?




I've had a 2275 since new in 1975 and just got a 330C and I'm cleaning it up. Waiting for an IC for the FM. I know the 430 Twin I picked up is impressive but competing with a 2275? This I HAVE to see.

Pound for pound the 330c kicks my Marantz 2275s ass and doesn't break a sweat.

I guess 20 watts is really all you need.
 
The 330b rated at 19wpc, tested at 37wpc in another Boston audio society publishment back in the day.
 
The 330b rated at 19wpc, tested at 37wpc in another Boston audio society publishment back in the day.

The HK 330A and 330B, even when replaced by all-modern semiconductors, will start clipping between 21 and 23 watts (12.65 to 13.5 V RMS) outputs into 8 ohms. I have no idea how someone would get 37 watts from the 330A/B main amp board without significant distortion and a very hot input signal. Even if they really did it, it would not sound good.
 
The HK 330A and 330B, even when replaced by all-modern semiconductors, will start clipping between 21 and 23 watts (12.65 to 13.5 V RMS) outputs into 8 ohms. I have no idea how someone would get 37 watts from the 330A/B main amp board without significant distortion and a very hot input signal. Even if they really did it, it would not sound good.

Doug, thinking about the wattage draw I guess it is electronically improbable. I'll do a search for ancient article I read. I believe it was a 330b and the wattage might have been closer to 27wpc (almost positive it had a 7 in the number). It was a normal, original unit being tested. I'm starting to think the printed wattage draw on the unit might not be 100% accurate.
 
And now, a bit over a year later, it's my turn to kickstart this thread from the dead. But it's not about h/k's 330 series, but a not-so-distant cousin I happened to stumble across a near-pristine example of last week: a Soundcraftsmen 2000A. I've known Soundcraftsmen for their high bang-for-the-buck separates of the 70s and 80s that seemed to straddle the median between studio and home audio, and generally had a solid rep. Unbeknownst to me up to now, they also offered a few receivers at the same time. Unlike most of their separates it's clear they outsourced the receivers' manufacturing, and just a bit of online sleuthing revealed that the 2000A came off the same production line as the h/k 330B/C.

Which has been a rather happy discovery: bearing a brand name flying under the radar of most people (Soundcraftsmen vanished from the market the better part of two decades ago), I found a beautiful 2000A on the 'bay for a bit over $70, plus shipping. If you'd told me this was some NOS piece in a box gathering dust in some warehouse for the last forty-plus years, I'd have believed you. I plugged it in plugged in all my other gear (turntable, CD, cassette), and…it sounds seriously good, especially for what is a "secondary" hi-fi system for me (main system is newer, but still rather old, with pricier gear, but also tied in with a big-screen TV in the living-room, meaning I don't get as much listening-time in on that system as I'd like). I guess Soundcraftsmen, who likely wouldn't slap their name on just anything, decided that whatever was good enough for the likes of harman/kardon was good enough for them. I concur.
soundcraftsmen2000a.jpg
 
I picked one of those for $25 a few years back. They were made in 1977 or there abouts. I believe the unit is a 2 X 25 watt or 2 X 30 watt. I have it hooked up to some monster JBL LX44's and it has more then enough power. Mine also has the black vinyl ribbed cover. I'll see if I can find the manual. I love mine. Very warm sounding as compared to other units. A very under rated unit.
It is 20 watts per channel
 
Got a 330c, deox'd, lamps replaced and this thing rocks my Pioneer humpem hundreds like you wouldn't believe.
One of the nicer sounding low wattage vintage integrated amps. In terms of pure sound experience however, I would give the Kenwood KA-4002 the edge. Jiro Kasuga (Accuphase) knew what he was doing with the original Trio-Kenwood KA-4002. One of the most undervalued and underappreciated small integrated vintage amps ever made.
 
the 2000A came off the same production line as the h/k 330B/C.
I believe it was Roland (Rotel) who built these units.

Here's my wood cased Soundcraftsmen 3oooA with definite similarities inside and out to the Harman Kardons.

PXL_20230324_213215119.jpgPXL_20230324_203317083.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom