• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Harman kardon 430 phono section.....

thebrett80

New Member
Just recently picked up a really nice harman kardon 430. I plugged in my turntable, and am very disappointed with the output level that I am getting from the phono section on the 430. I have been running a sherwood s-7200 with the same turntable with fantastic results. Is there something that could be wrong with the h/k, or are they equipped with inferior phono sections? The tuner and cd through the aux sound great!
 
Register to hide this ad
Grado green cartridge, realistic lab-400 tt. The cartridge has less than 10 hours on it. I know there is a break in period on the cartridge, but would that affect the output level?
 
I could not find the specs, but comparing the phono stage of an S-7100 and an HK-330c, the HK phono sensitivity spec (the input that results in the rated output level of the phono stage) is 2.8mV, vs. only 1.5mV on the sherwood, which would explain it.

I do have some experience with that series of HK receivers, and the phono stages should work just fine with cart outputs ~2.5mV or higher. Just how high do you have to turn up the volume to match your other inputs, and when you do that is the noise excessive? The answer here is most likely "it is fine, just turn it up".
 
Ok. Im running polk monitor 10's, I have to turn the h/k up to the 12 o'clock posistion to get enjoyable listening level through phono, compared to 9 o'clock with cd player in aux. I dont want to fry anything!
 
Yeah, that sounds about right for 89dB speakers - you're fine. More efficient speakers would get more out of the 430, but you're fine as far as the phono level, because if you're only at 12 o'clock on those speakers, you've got plenty of range to reach the max output, and that's all you need.
 
Thanks alot dumptruck! Peace be with you.

And also with you.... I use an HK Seventeen pre and have to turn it up to 12 O'clock to make my low efficiency (Quantum III) speakers sing (phono) comparo to 9ish for CDs, so you should be good but that unit is old and so are the parts. Seperate issue on the "I dont want to fry anything!" issue.. recap may be in order but won't change the volume thing. Basically any 30+ year old unit should be updated (caps/resistors) and you will be happy you did, for a lot of reasons but most importanly the SOUND. That's my HO (honest opinion) and sticking to it. Upgrading this unit will really help specifically if you listen to vinyl.


Cheers,
Bob
 
The phono output on the 430 is pretty weak, (if you switch between the phono and the FM or other inputs without adjusting first, you're likely to destroy your hearing) but it's still more than enough for my purposes...I never increase the volume past 11:00 or so. Then again, I have 99 db speakers, so every receiver is like that. I love the way the phono section sounds, personally...if it sounds flat or weak, there's something wrong...I could still blow down the house playing my vinyl setup through the 430. Oh, I also have a Grado Black cartridge.
 
Back
Top Bottom