• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Harman Kardon 730 restoration

jerseyben

New Member
Hello all:

Looking to have my Harman Kardon 730 restored.

Hoping a board member might recommend a place/person I can take it to in the Philadelphia/South Jersey area?

Let me know by email:
jerseyben@gmail.com

Thanks!
 

Attachments

  • hk1.jpg
    hk1.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 108
Register to hide this ad
I'd love to have it for parts :P I'm in south Central PA, I just clean my own stuff up...but lately looking more to speaker cabinet repair and whatnot.
 
Sorry, i dont know anyone to reccomend in your area. Great little receiver though! What sort of issues does she have? Typically cleaning the pots goes a long way with the H/k twins. And its easy enough to DIY.

Be prepared for a bit of a wait if you send it out for a full resto, could easily take 6 mo to 2 years. Best bet is probably to send it to one of the reputable techs on AK.

I have several H/K twins, love the sound and looks. IMHO one of the most underrated receiver brands. Still some nice pieces out there for very little $.
 
Ok, I was NOT expecting a 2 year turnaround... I have read literally nothing but raving reviews about this receiver but unfortunately it has seen better days. When I got it, it was in a barn covered in dirt. It does work but it doesn't sound good at all. 2 blown fuses makes me think it has deeper issues. I cleaned it but it will need a much better and thorough cleaning before it can even be considered operational.

I guess restoration was a bad term. I really just want to have it looked at by someone who knows what to look for and diagnose any problems and then recommend a course of action to have it running at about 95% so I can use this awesome unit!
 
I have an HK 730-no real problems "yet". There seems to be a Tech on ebay who specializes in HK restorations. Can't remember the name. He's not in your area, but somewhere in Mass.

Maybe someone "here" knows who this guy is, perhaps he's even a member here. I'll see if I can dig up this guy's ebay handle if I can.

That is a nice sounding unit so you obviously have something wrong there!

cnh2
 
Gonna try to clean it again this weekend. Still not sure what to do about the blown fuses. Anyone know which fuses this takes and where to order them? Anything else that is relatively inexpensive that is recommended to be replaced/checked?
 
Ok, cleaned it as well as I could. Noticed I have at least 2 bulbs out. Not sure where to get replacements. It smoked for about 2 seconds after I turned it back on but then it stopped smoking and it sounds fine now. No noise, no distortion. Both channels seem to be operating normally with some minor static on the left channel only every once in a while. It seems to be "working out its kinks" by just using it. Man this thing is super loud! FM Muting does not seem to do anything. Maybe it isn't working or I am using it wrong?
 
I am resurrecting my own thread because it is still relevant.

I have been using this receiver for over a year now and it has just about had it. Needs a rehab and unfortunately, I don't really have a suitable replacement for it.

I am still looking for someone in Central NJ who could fix this thing. Anyone? Please.
 
Have you contacted wmgwizard?

I sent him an email through AK. Have not heard back yet but hopefully he will get back to me soon.

Very frustrating... I have the HK, 2 Pioneers, and a Lafayette and they all have issues! I have not been able to listen to any of my tunes in "stereo" for about 6 months now.
 
Why don't you start a thread and discuss these issues?

There are many here that have 10 thumbs that have successfully repaired their gear. Frequently all that is involved it grabbing a can of spray cleaner (most use Deoxit) and opening the unplugged unit and spraying the electrical end of the knobs, switches and buttons. This is when they also replace the light bulbs.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=207005 if the thread that talks folks through this.

Having someone else work on your gear is also a possibility if you don't want to go inside the units.
 
Why don't you start a thread and discuss these issues?

There are many here that have 10 thumbs that have successfully repaired their gear. Frequently all that is involved it grabbing a can of spray cleaner (most use Deoxit) and opening the unplugged unit and spraying the electrical end of the knobs, switches and buttons. This is when they also replace the light bulbs.

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=207005 if the thread that talks folks through this.

Having someone else work on your gear is also a possibility if you don't want to go inside the units.

I genuinely appreciate your helpful comments. Unfortunately, I fear at this point, the HK is beyond my capabilities of repair.

I purchased Deoxit after my first post on AK. The first thing I do when I get a new (used) receiver is to clean them with Deoxit. It has solved many of my issues.

Like I said, the HK is beyond that and needs a technical touch.
 
Back
Top Bottom