• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Harman Kardon 730 vs Sony STR-6050

petrol100

New Member
Ok, so I'm looking to purchase a vintage receiver. I'm "accidentally" bidding on 2 receivers. I put a bid on of them, then forgot about it and put a bid on the second one! haha! I might own 2 vintage receivers soon:D

Assuming I get into a bit of a bidding war with somebody, I might not increase the bid too much on both of them.

My Question: Which receiver is better? I'm looking for sound quality. Would you choose HK 730 or STR-6050? Why?

I had read some information on Harman Kardon receivers here, not familiar 730 but I'm assuming its similar to 430. Also I saw a couple of 330's are those good too?

Thanks guys for your help!
 
Register to hide this ad
I am using the folowing:
H/K 330c(in office), Sony STR-7045 and completed a recap of STR-6065 and starting a STR-6800SD

I have/had a H/K 730...I am going to drop this off to GoodWill this week.

All the above have been recapped...The Sony's listed are Very Warm and smooth sounding..
 
So I should stop my bidding on the Harman Kardon? Is the Sony that much better?

Sent from my SCH-I510 using Tapatalk
 
.....My Question: Which receiver is better? I'm looking for sound quality. Would you choose HK 730 or STR-6050? Why?

I had read some information on Harman Kardon receivers here, not familiar 730 but I'm assuming its similar to 430. Also I saw a couple of 330's are those good too?


I'm not familiar with the Sony but the H/K 730 is one of the best sounding receivers of its era. It was a step up from the 430, very similar but more watts.

The 330C was the lowest powered of the three, very good in its own way but I'd rather have a 430 or 730. I'm not familiar with the earlier 330's.
 
I'd rather have my twin power 730 for its ability to cleanly drive any even large set of speakers , and I do like the looks of the hk better... I love it...
Get both:)
 
Expect to add an external preamp to the 730 to get the best out of it. H-K made a great power amp but compromised the preamps on the series; the tuner is very decent. I use a Soundcraftsman with my 630 and the difference is night and day. The power amp is worth the average price of what the twin power series goes for.

I am not personally familiar with the STR-6050, it was a step below the totl STR-6060 that is one of the finest receivers ever in mho. I have several Sonys that are from that era and if the 6050 is similar in voicing and quality and sound, it is a better balanced receiver overall but, with the external preamp, the H-K probably has the better sound overall provided you use a good preamp. I use the 630 as a power amp more often than a receiver, the power amp section is that good.

With the ability to separate the amp from the preamp, the H-K can become a building block for upgrading as time and money permit. The Sony probably does not have this feature as the totl models from that period and later did not and hence you can use it through the tape out as a tuner and other input selector as well as a phono preamp but no ability to use the preamp as a control amp.
 
Can't go wrong with either. The HK can be kinda finicky but these units are very robust.

I have a mint 930 and it's a keeper.
 
I'd say same as previous post. Can't go wrong with either if they are in top shape. I grew up with a 6050 :yes:
 
I am picking up my Sony receiver in 10 minutes. It will have to sit in my car for about 6 hours...is it ok in my car when its about 9°outside?
 
Back
Top Bottom