• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Harman / Kardon 730 vs. Studio Standard Fisher RS-2010

DrCrypt

New Member
Hey guys, I'm a stilly wooly noob about receivers. I've been using my Dad's old Realistic STA-64 for the past few months, and love the way it sounds compared to newer receivers, but with a puff of smoke it gave up the ghost just as our new turntable is set to arrive. Now I'm scrambling for a replacement.

Locally, I have two sellers trying to sell a Harman / Kardon 730 and a Studio Standard Fisher RS-2010 receiver, each for the same price. The Fisher is available today; the Harman / Kardon 730 won't be available until the end of next week.

Any thoughts here? I'm impatient, so I'd like to get something quicker, but if the HK blows the RS-2010 out of the water, I'd be inclined to wait. Can anyone give me any opinions or experiences?

Thanks so much!
 
Register to hide this ad
I like the HK, I have a mint HK-560 that sounds great playing my old vinyl. Not familiar with the Fisher though.
 
Last edited:
I like both. I've heard the HK 730 and I've owned the little brother to the Fisher (RS2007) and I like them both. They both sound very good in their own ways, but if I was forced to choose, i might lean toward the Fisher depending on price. The Fisher has more wattage (not necessarily a huge issue) and if functioning correctly, is a sleeper in my opinion. Very musical and pleasant to listen to.
 
The fisher should be nice. 100wpc and a toroidal transformer. Instead of asking for advice, go listen to the fisher and if you like the way it sounds buy it and if you don't wait for the Harman.
 
The twin power 730 should mop the floor with the Fisher, even though the Fisher has more watts.
I have had both and still have the 730, YMMV.
 
The twin power 730 should mop the floor with the Fisher, even though the Fisher has more watts.
I have had both and still have the 730, YMMV.

Perhaps it should, but in my personal experience it didn't. Of course the Fisher didn't "mop the floor" with the HK either. I think they are both very good...just quite different from each other.
 
Perhaps "mop the floor" is a bit misleading. The HK may not have as many watts, but as we all know: its quality over quantity. The HK with its twin power supplies and discreet outputs is highly regarded as one of the better receivers and will remain highly collectable. The Fisher, not so much....
I found the Fisher to sound rather bright, even a little harsh while the HK sounded very neutral. It's the East coast/West coast sound thing all over.
Then again, there is more than one flavor of ice cream for a reason. Let you own ears decide as you are the one who will be enjoying it.
 
Last edited:
I bought a HK730 last week. Just a little dusty and cracking here and there. Deoxit did the trick...
The sound is amazing to me... Beats my tube amps in miles...
Depends also maybe on your speakers...
I built some cornscalas a month ago and was listening with an DIY EL84SE from this site http://www.single-ended.com/
Just for fun bought the HK730 in Poland. Overkill with these speakers...but the sound is really so involving...somehow fast and very direct...:music:
 
Back
Top Bottom