• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Harman Kardon HK 560 Blown Transistor Blues

orshad2048

New Member
Hello to all who take an interest in the post here.

First a bit of background. This is my first go at repairing a vintage electronic anything so a novice level is where I'd place myself at. The equipment that I have to work with to figure out what is going on is a trusty volte meter, a dim bulb tester, and a Techtronic digital oscilloscope (that I have never used and frankly don't know how to use it but that is a future problem)

After quite a bit of looking, watching , reading, and trying to figure out what is going on I've now reached the point where it is time to phone a friend to help me out making sense of what is going on.

I acquired an HK 560 that was working and then stopped working. The person that it was obtained from had never has it serviced and upon opening it up for the first time it did not exhibit any signs that anyone had performed any work whatsoever to it.

Reposted AK HK560 manual link:

http://manuals.harman.com/HK/service Manual/HK560 sm.pdf

The only visible malfunctions upon a first look were the two blown fuses FU2,3 (5A 250V)
After some reading here on the AK site amongst other things it seemed that the most logical place to start was to check the power amp transistors:

Q421,4222SD588A
Q423, 4242SB618A


I took Q423 and Q421 out of circuit and tested them with the volt meter (in diode test mode). I found that Q423 was dead shorted. Q421 was good as well as Q422 and Q424. All of the good transistors exhibited voltage drops and there were no dead shorts or continuity in a direction that was not normal.

I also removed form circuit and tested both of the bias stabilization transistors Q415, 416

Q15, 4162SC1472(K)

Those were also found to be good by passing my test with the volt meter.

I also tested Q2 (2SC1419(C)) the voltage regulator.

That was also found to be good by passing my test with the volt meter.

So what does one do when one is a novice and do not have items in stock already on hand? You start to look for replacements, find that it is not that simple. You then proceed to spend several weeks in a rabbit hole of what the heck to I replace these broken transistors with. I won't bore the community with that well trodden path of "what do I do here" and get to the point of my first move.

My initial selection for replacing the Q421-424 transistors was based on my internet research NTE382 and NTE383:


I started out the 'repair' by removing Q421- 424, Q2, and both of the bias stabilization transistors Q415, 416 and cleaned the heat sink

I replaced Q421-424 with the NTE transistors being careful to make sure that the case was not grounded to the heat sink by using a non conductive sil-pad (Bergquist SP400-0.007-00-54 THERM PAD 19.05MMX12.7MM GRAY). I also replaced several of the caps on the main power board:

C4,5,6,74700mf 50V
C833mf 16V
C947mf 10V
C161000mf 16V
C17330mf 16V
C14,15470mf 35V


After doing all of that and replacing FU2,3 I then proceeded to power up the unit with the DBT with a 40watt bulb. The bulb went bright and then dimmed and then it illuminated more and stayed that way osculating from more and then less bright. More than the initial dimming but less then how bright it was when it was throttling the inrush current for the filter caps.

I started to do measurements based on the service manual to test the DC offset.

Using hook probes I tested but I did not see the voltage specified at the test points on the volt meter. Looking back at what happed at that time I believe that I did not have the voltmeter set to the 300 ma setting and that was the cause for no measurement. So chalk one up for human error.

I moved the VR403 and 404 pots and did not observe any changes on the volt meter. Being that this is all first time work for me I moved onto the second set of tests for DC voltage on the speaker terminals.

I was not able to observe any DC voltage at the speaker terminals so I figured that all was good and that the absence of DC offset voltage was because of the unit not being fully powered up.

So since the DBT was not showing that there was not a dead short I decided to remove the dim bulb tester and go to full power.

After switching it to full power I with the unit standing vertically I was testing voltages at the underside of the board thinking all was well. After perhaps 30 seconds the first catastrophic failure of Q423 occurred with the top blowing off. The resistor R449 (100ohm 1/2 watt) was taken out as well as FU2,3. Needless to say words were uttered and the smell of electron farts was strong for a while until the place aired out.

So what did I learn from that? In hindsight, well frankly nothing. I tested out various components and not finding anything out of place I replaced the main filter caps with a slightly larger capacitance:

C4,5,6,74700mf 50VNichiconUKT1H682MRDCAP ALUM 6800UF 20% 50V RADIAL


I then replaced the blown Q423, Q421 with another set of NTE382 and NTE383 (I initially purchased a few of them fearing that I make some mistakes) and the blown 100ohm resistor and the blown fuses.

I then removed the following resistors from the circuit and tested them with the volt meter:

Q401,403,4052SC1175(F )
Q411,4132SC1940(L )
Q407,4092SA915(L )


Those all tested as good voltage drops with no dead shorts or the ability to pass voltage in reverse and they have been replaced into the board.

I then powered up the board again on a DBT with the same results. Initially bright, then dimmed, then slightly brighter. I made more measurement with the volt meter, I can't recall exactly what they were, and then decided to go for full power. Mistakes were made as Q422 experienced a catastrophic failure. More unhappiness ensued. At least the fuses did not blow and R450 did not burn out.

I then proceeded to replace Q422 and Q424. I also removed the following from the circuit:

402,404,4062SC1175(F )
412,4142SC1940(L )
408,4102SA915(L )


Those all tested as good voltage drops with no dead shorts or the ability to pass voltage in reverse and they have been replaced into the board.

I powered the board up one more time after not finding anything that could be causing this behavior with the DBT (same behavior) and then at full power one more time. This time Q423 failed again by popping its top clean off after 30 seconds or so at full power.

What is a fellow to do. I put the project down for a bit otherwise it was going to fly out the window. When I came back it was a back to basics approach. I tested all of the resistors on the power supply board and they all test as good. I've checked all of the diodes on the power supply board (in circuit) and they all show a voltage drop with none of them being blown open.

Since I was out of power transistors I ordered more of them. This time after looking a bit more at the verious scares documentation for the initial specs of the power transistors

2SD588A
2SB618A


I changed my approach based on a cross reference table that I found from the datasheet archive site


This shows the transition frequency as 15mhz rather than the 8mhz that is the first datasheet you encounter on Google. I decided upon this for the new power transistors as finding a transition frequency in the 15 Mhz range was not possible:


I've replaced Q421 - 424 with the MJE replacements. In addition after doing more research, following the schematic up stream form the power transistors, I started looking closer at the driver transistors:

Q417,4182SD667A(C )
Q419,4202SB647A(C )


I started by pulling Q417 and Q419 from the board and testing them. I tested the D406, D407 (MV12Y Variator) and they both exhibit the same voltage drop. I did however observe that Q419 had a dead short. I cannot recall if I tested these when I initially blew up the power transistors. Eureka! I though I've zeroed in on the issue, or so I thought.

I replaced Q417 - 420 with:

NTE382
NTE383





(this apparently needs to be a two-part post so the next part will follow)
 
Register to hide this ad
PART II

Now having destroyed several power transistors I've sure to have gotten to the bottom of the problems. that alas is not the case.

I've started testing and here is what is going on. I'm back to the DC offset test.

Now that I have the voltmeter in the correct 300mV range and the test points when the amp start up there is no voltage. After a few seconds the voltage starts to climb steadily until it blasts past 33mV. When it gets to 45 mV or so (maybe after 40 or 50 seconds) that is the point where I chicken out and turn the amp off. If I immediately turn it on again there is voltage immediately at the test points, but it starts climbing again to 45mV and I turn it off again.

Well what the heck I think and start to test the transistor voltage working from the power transistors back using the voltages the SM states:

1711127303016.png


BaseEmitterCollector
Q419,420
-1.12​
-0.6​
-38
​

Q420 The collector and emitter are accurate but the base is not correct

Moving further away from Q413 up to Q414


BaseEmitterCollector
Q413,414
-36.4​
-36.8​
-1.15​



Base and emitter are correct but collector is not

Moving up to 412

BaseEmitterCollecter
Q411,412
-36.4​
-36.8​
-36.4​


All 3 are correct

So what gives. I do not know and can't figure out what is going on. So I went ALL the way to the start Q1 to work from this direction.


BaseEmitterCollecter
Q1
-0.63​
0​
0​


The base is good the emitter is good but the collector shows -12V or so. Here is the snippet of the schematic:

1711127460167.png



If I turn the amp off low and behold there is still -12V on the collector, and if I bleed the main filter caps down the voltage goes down.

I've taken D11 and D12 (1SS81) out of circuit and tested them with a voltmeter and they are not open and show a voltage drop and cannot pass current in the incorrect direction. I've replaced D11 and D12 with other random diodes from other junk boards I have laying around and the behavior is the same where the collection still shows whatever voltage is on the negative rails.

So if after this 10 part telenovela where Juan comes back from the dead to blow up several transistors and claim that he is the father if anyone can help me figure out what I'm missing here id appreciate it.
 
Don't power the unit up on line power, there is no need to do that until you have your problem fixed. Each time you do you will wreck more parts. The unit should run under dimbulb and be somewhat functional.

Remove the output transistors and power the unit up under 40-60 watt dimbulb, does the bulb roar immediately. If so power down. Remove the power supply wires from the amp board, secure them safe. Power up again, does the bulb roar? If not you have verified your problem is on the amp board.

Did you verify the pinout on your new parts? Transistors are not always ecb when reading from the face.

Replaced diodes with other random diodes from junk boards? Sorry that is not a good practice and you are inviting trouble. Look at the manual and put in the correct replacements.

If it were mine I would install the correct diodes, then verify all of my pinouts and orientations of transistors, power it up under 40w dimbulb and carefully check some voltages on all of the transistors and amp board's power supply. Note them on a copy of the schematic and post the picture. Somebody here may be able to give you a clue as to what is wrong.

Using NTE parts can be risky, some of then can be quite generic and not really suited for your intended use.

Again, stay on your dimbulb.
 
Last edited:
Hello,
Thank again for taking the time to read the long post and reply. I agree that replacing the diodes with another random one is probably not the best course of action. I however am struggling to figure out exactly what is going on.
During my testing the diodes D11 and D12 show that they are 'good' using the voltmeter. So I'm trying to understand how you arrived at the decision to:

"If it were mine I would install the correct diodes, then verify all of my pinouts and orientations of transistors, power it up under 40w dimbulb and carefully check some voltages on all of the transistors and amp board's power supply. Note them on a copy of the schematic and post the picture. Somebody here may be able to give you a clue as to what is wrong."

I don't know of a way that a diode can be bad if it:

A) shows a voltage drop
B) voltmeter does not show it passing current in the reverse direction
C) it is not shorted out

I'm not against buying replacements, if that is the issue, but I'm struggling to understand how this is the case that this is the fault. I'd like a more definitive reason before loading up the parts cannon just blasting replacing parts that are not bad with ones that are new and getting the same result.

As for the pinout I agree that this can be a tricky thing ad as far as i can tell, testing with volt meter before installation. I have all of the transistors installed properly.

I started with the measurements as listed above and I just did not fill in the bad measurements on the spreadsheet i have going. So some homework for me to get that together and put it up here.
 
Last edited:
If the old ones are good as far as you know, put them in. I would say there are many ways diodes can test good, and still fail in circuit, just like transistors. My point is it's doubtful you will find anybody willing to help you if your approach is putting in "random parts".

Also adding to my original thoughts I would say post some photos of the board in question, some that clearly show what work you have done.
 
I'm not sure if the message ever made it to the resident IEEE's in the community but I'm going to try and summarize where I'm at in trying to fix the vintage discrete component receiver.

I acquired an HK 560 that was working and then stopped working. The person that it was obtained from had never has it serviced and upon opening it up for the first time it did not exhibit any signs that anyone had performed any work whatsoever to it.

Re posted AK HK560 manual link:

http://manuals.harman.com/HK/service Manual/HK560 sm.pdf

I've replaced all of the capacitors on the main power control board and some of the transistors. After I had several catastrophic failures of the main power transistors, I decided to go ALL the way to the start of the transistor test list for the PCB to test all of the transistors to ensure that things are working correctly before I power it fully up again.

I'm starting at the top of the service manual (pg26) and working my way down the transistors. I'm of course currently stuck on the first one.

The testing procedure that I'm performing is as follows:

Power up the unit with the DBT (dim bulb tester used as a current limiting device) with a 40watt incandescent bulb. The bulb glows bright and then dimmed and then it illuminated more and stayed that way osculating from more and then less bright.

After perhaps 2 seconds I turn the power off and with a volt meter set to VDC I'm testing for voltage of the first listed transistor Q1. The negative probe I have attached to the ground of the unit and using the positive probe this is the behavior being exhibited by the PCB.

The service manual states that the expected voltages are as follows


1733965606981.png




Here is a cut out and blown up version of the schematic that I've cut out of (pg 23). The circles represent the test points:



1733965612990.png



At all of these points I observe that the voltage is ~ -22 VDC or basically the voltage present on the -B2 rail and the negative post of the large filter cap C7 (6800UF 50V).

The two test point on R408 do not show a voltage drop, even though when I test the resistance of the resistor it measured 220k ohms. The same for R406 no voltage drop across the 47k ohm resistor with the resistor showing the correct resistance. Both of those test for resistance were performed with the resistor still in the circuit.

The test points before and after D11 and D12 show ~22 VDC as well as the collector of Q1. I've taken D11 and D12 (1SS81) out of circuit and tested them with a voltmeter. They are not open and show a voltage drop from anode to cathode. I've also bought another set of recently manufactured diodes (BAV21) installed those and the behavior is the same.

I know that the large filter CAP C7 (6800UF 50V) is responsible for supplying the observed voltages. When I take a incandescent light bulb and drain the C7 CAP the voltages of the test points drop accordingly.

As I understand the schematic the diodes should prevent the current to the collector of Q1. As well as I would expect a voltage drop over R408 and R406 resistors but all of the voltages are the same.

So what exactly am I missing here with the test procedure, or what might you think is causing the voltage to be present at that the collector with the diodes seemingly not doing there job
 

Attachments

  • IMG_1300.jpeg
    IMG_1300.jpeg
    125.2 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1301.jpeg
    IMG_1301.jpeg
    147.2 KB · Views: 17
Here is a cut out and blown up version of the schematic that I've cut out of (pg 23). The circles represent the test points:



1733965612990.png
You are actually missing a lot here. This looks like the 330C start up circuit. AC gets rectified by D13, which generates a negative voltage. (this is probably where people go wrong). The caps C8 and C9 filter the signal, and slow down the voltage going negative to the base of Q1. When the base of Q1 goes below -.6, Q1 starts to conduct and will pull your "B1" and "B2" voltages up to near zero, allowing the amplifier to operate. The purpose is to minimize turn on thump. If not working (looks like it isn't if you have -22volts on the two diodes) then you have to back track and see what voltages you have on R5, R4 and R6. When it is working, you will have -0.6 volts on the two diodes D11 and D12.
Bad caps will also cause low, but still negative voltages. (sorry, I don't know what they should be.) Since you have -.6 volts at base of Q1, it could be a bad cap, and not getting enough current to turn on the rest of the circuit.
The diode D13 is fed by fuse F2, so make sure that is okay. Since there are fuses on both sides of the secondary (F2 and F3) one could be out and the amp will still get power through the other fuse. If just that fuse blows, usually one of the diodes D1 to D8 is shorted.
Hope this gives you some direction.

One detail - this circuit probably has no relation to blown outputs.
One last thought - you could be getting low voltages because it is on the DimBulbTester. Try a higher wattage bulb.
I know that the large filter CAP C7 (6800UF 50V) is responsible for supplying the observed voltages. When I take a incandescent light bulb and drain the C7 CAP the voltages of the test points drop accordingly.
Actually, voltage goes from the transformer directly to D13. The other function is to turn off quickly, so reduce turn off thump. You will see negative voltages at "B1" and "B2" because there will no longer be a pull up voltage from Q1....
 
Last edited:
Thanks for all of the replies. A few things to note. I have replaced all of the caps on the main amp board already so that should not be a factor. I agree the DBT is the reason that the circuit is only getting to ~22 volts and since I've had the other catastrophic transistor failures I'm need to keep it on a tight leash until I can get that addressed.

I was not looking at the other side of the circuit (R4,5,6) so I'll spend some time and check that.

As for troubleshooting the cause of the catastrophic transistor failures i was planning on going from top to bottom in the manual and looking at the transistors. If from the earlier super long post you have any ideas where to look for that I'd appreciate it.

Ill test the other points and get back to you all
 
I tried to rebuild one of these years ago with new output transistors and I couldn't get the bias current stable. Ended up giving up and scrapping it.
Are you monitoring the bias current when you power the unit up?
 
Raccoon1400

That is the issue same issue I am facing with what I'm going to call the 'odd' the side of the power board.

The test voltages I'm referencing are with a 60w DBT with the test points A/B.

1741791057583.png

The 'even' is stable side of the amp (Q422/Q424). The voltage at A/B will stay steady at 5 mV DC. If the 2k pot (VR404) is adjusted the voltage changes accordingly to the increase / decrease in resistance of the pot. The voltage will increase over time as the transistors warm up but it remains stable.

The 'odd' side is unstable and will, eventually, run away. When the amp starts up the voltage will come on and be 5 mV DC. Then over an indeterminate period of time the voltage will steadily start to rise and may rapidly spike. Some times it will make it to 20-30 mV DC and then will get clamped down to 5 mV. Other times it will start to climb as high as 100 mV DC with the DMT getting bright and it will not lower.

Changing the resistance on the 2K pot (VR403) will raise and lower the voltage. However when it is 'running away' the voltage drop will be temporary and it will continue to climb even though the pot is at its maximum resistance value. The 'thermal tracking' diode D407 test's good when taken out of circuit and the transistors do not feel warm to the touch even after it sits at 5 mV DC for an extended time. I've had the 'odd' side sit at that resistance for as much as 10-15 min. Conversely it has 'run away' as soon as amp power on.

Ive tried to measure what i can to see if there is a transistor that is over driving the final stage but i have yet to find anything conclusive.

All measurement are with 60 w DBT in V DC. I have observed that when the 'odd' side is running away the Collector current drops to +-18 V DC.

B E C
Q421 .5 -.08 26.6
Q422 .6 .05 26.5

Q423 -.6 -.12 -27
Q424 -.5 .04 -26

Service Manual ( these voltages are with the amp at full power)
1741793786302.png

So the emitter voltages are not in line with the service manual on the good (Q422/Q424) and bad (Q421/Q423)

Here is what has been replaced (in addition all of the caps have been replaces on the board) :


thanks again for the help
 
Sorry I forgot to mention in the previous post that Q415/Q416 (typo as q15 and 16),Q407,Q409, and Q413 were all testing good when taken out of circuit.

The killowat monitor shows that it is running at 87 V AC and is drawing .21 amps.


Also
Q401,402,403,404,405,4062SC1175(F )KSC1845FTA

Was accidentally pasted in the post and they have not been replaced (yet)
 
Hello
In doing more testing with monitoring both the 'even' and 'odd' side of items I have included some screenshots of the issue. The 'even' is the yellow volt meter, The 'odd' channel is the grey meter.

When the amp is going it is drawing .27 amps and 87 watts of power (sorry the killowatt is hard to read) and the 60W bulb is not glowing that brightly. As the 'odd' side runs away the even side drops in voltage. At the end of the test the bulb is bright the 'even' side has stopped producing any voltage and the amp is now drawing 65 volts at .33 amps with the 'odd' side still climbing at 113 mV.

Hope this helps in your understanding of what is happening
 

Attachments

  • 01.png
    01.png
    646.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 02.png
    02.png
    726.7 KB · Views: 8
  • 03.png
    03.png
    717.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 04.png
    04.png
    709.5 KB · Views: 7
  • 05.png
    05.png
    707.1 KB · Views: 7
After doing more research and watching some you-tube I have a question about my choice for the bias stabilization replacement and the transistor's gain.

The one that I chose was 2n5308 because the pin out is the same as the 2SC1472:


1745458980983.png

In the video I was watching:


~20 minutes into the video is where he talks about the transistors. While I do not have the test equipment to test the gain HFE of the two 2SC1472's from my unit both test out as functioning with a multi meter.

The person in the video used MSPA29 (https://www.onsemi.com/pdf/datasheet/mpsa28-d.pdf) for their replacement

1745459271450.png

​

In another thread where Donguri was facing a similar issue (https://audiokarma.org/forums/index...b-tester-behavior.972808/page-5#post-17747471)

He used BC517-D74Z (https://mm.digikey.com/Volume0/opasdata/d220001/medias/docus/4843/DS_261_BC517.pdf)
1745459484562.png


Is the difference in the gain what is potentially causing the off set bias to not properly track? I'm confident that I can safely swap out the legs of a new replacement if necessary to make the repair.

In addition I replaced the 'odd' side Q417/Q419 with the original drivers and I'm still getting unstable bias
 
I'm back at it after a long break and here is where I am at. Still not any closer. I replaced the Q415/Q146 with the MPSA29 and still no love. It even now does not show any voltage on Q422 / Q424 emitters. The other emitters Q423 / Q421 with a 40 W DBT is already at 45 mV DC and oscillating around.

So I'm back to testing the the voltages at the test points described in the SM. My main question is are the voltages listed in reference to GRND or are they between two points in the circuit. For example Q407 collector voltage is listed at -8.0 VDC. Should these be the test points?

1763753709637.png 1763753893662.png
Or should I be testing voltage from the Q407 collector with reference to GRND.
 
The voltages listed on the voltage chart are measured referenced to ground. They are for troubleshooting help, but you have to keep in mind that a lot of them are based on the AC line voltage, and are further affected by the DBT, (like the voltage on the collector of Q407, for instance.) With low line voltage or on a DBT I would expect that voltage to be less negative.
The Bias voltage is measured between the two emitters of the outputs on that channel. Use the picture on page 8 of the manual and follow the lines marked Q421 emitter and Q423 emitter, or Q422 emitter and Q424 emitter.
 
Thanks for that information. I suspected that the voltages were in respect to GRND but the SM is not 100% clear. The example I gave of -8 was what the service manual states. Right now it has at least -10 v DC or more with the DBT depending on the oscillation. So what is the next step? I've taken Q407 out of circuit previously and it is not show as failed.
 
Problem is deciding which part to change first. First make sure the bias transistor is making good contact with the Heat sink. I don't see any problems with the substitutes mentioned... My next suspect would be the diode string D407 (it is the odd channel with the problem?)
Next are the transistors. I would start with the differential pair (401 and 403) then the VAS (Voltage gain stage) transistor 407, 409, 411 and 413. The problem is that anyone could be breaking down when warming up, but are all in a loop so no simple way of pinpointing the problem. Then, as mentioned before, could be driver or output transistor...
You may be able to spot something with freeze spray, but be careful to only get it on one component at a time. I'm out of ideas at this point.
 
I know that the post is super long so let me bring some of the information forward to here so that we can work hopefully from the same point together.
Currently I've replaced the following:

Q421,Q422,Q423,Q424 with
MJE15030 / MJE1531
https://www.digikey.com/en/htmldatasheets/production/100543/0/0/2/mje15031g
Q417,Q418,Q419,Q420 with
NTE382 / NTE383

Right now the current bias transistors (MPSA29) are not on the heat sink. I've been swapping them out from the originals 2SC1472(K) (which both pass the voltmeter test as being good), 2N5038 (https://my.centralsemi.com/datasheets/2N5306_5308.PDF), and MPSA29 in a vain attempt to figure out why the final stage appears to be over driven.

The behavior:
The other emitters Q423 / Q421 with a 40 W DBT is already at 45 mV DC and oscillating around.

Happens almost immediately, perhaps 3-4 seconds after the voltmeter starts showing voltage. So does the warming of the bias transistors happen that fast? When I touch them, not scientific I know, they don't feel any warmer than ambient temperature.

I've removed 401,403,407,409,411, and 413 from circuit before and tested them with a voltmeter and none show any failure such as a short. So before replacing all of them, not that I'm opposed to doing that since I have already sourced replacements for all of them, I was trying to zero in on the problem and just address that. What I really don't want is to do that and still be at this point.

In addition I've removed D407/D408 from circuit and they show the same voltage drop between the two of them and do not allow current to be passed in the reverse direction.

Let me know your thoughts,
 

Attachments

So does the warming of the bias transistors happen that fast? When I touch them, not scientific I know, they don't feel any warmer than ambient temperature.
The bias transistors need to be attached to the heat sink to track the heat sink temperature. As the outputs warm up, the voltage drop across the base to emitter drops, and the bias current increases. The bias transistor has to heat up and will reduce the bias voltage so the bias current stays constant. If not attached to heat sink, thermal runaway occurs.
 
Back
Top Bottom