• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Harmon Kardon 590i and HK CD291 Cassette deck - anything special?

BruceRPA

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I stopped at a yard sale yesterday and showed one of my "Wanted by Hobbyist" flyers that I make with pictures of vintage stereo equipment. True to form, the guy says "Ya, I have something like that inside. Follow me." He took me into the house and showed me his old stereo cabinet (with a Bose Wave Radio sitting on top.:sigh:) Inside there was a Harmon Kardon 590i receiver and a Harmon Kardon CD291 cassette deck. I told him that I didn't think that I was interested in it but that I might know someone that was. He said that he wanted $150 for the pair and that they were working just fine. My question for you folks is, is there anything special about these units, and second, is the $150 reasonable?
 
Register to hide this ad
That's a little high in my book. The CD291 cassette deck is a solid performer, but MOTL. I'm a big fan of HK stuff, so I might try and get a lower price but it's not stuff I'd have to have either. Certainly good performers on both counts, but nothing special either high or low. Hope that helps.

In summation, I personnaly like the styling and the two units go great together, but you have to decide if you need them as a pair like that, or if you split them up then they're porbably not anything super special in either case.
 
I agree. Virtually all HK stuff from that period is nice. If you have never tried any HK stuff, and can get the price down, it would be an easy way to try them out.
 
Just as a 2nd thought, in my area those would go for (maybe) $40 for the receiver and $20 for the cassette deck. An offer in that area and I'd take them, but not at the current asking.
 
Thanks for the info. I thought that they might be MOTL but since I don't know much about HK equipment I passed at his asking price. I really don't need another MOTL receiver right now. I don't think the owner really had any idea what they might be worth either. We exchanged contact information and I went on my way. If you or anyone else is interested in this stuff, I will be happy to pass along the contact information and help out in any way that I can. They are located in Central PA near Penn State University. If it helps, I do hope to attend the mini-meet near Cleveland next month.

Sometimes a real treasure gets unearthed this way and it ends up being a win-win situation for everyone. Sometimes it goes nowhere. One never knows without asking. It's all OK though.

Thanks again!:thmbsp:
 
I just bought a 590i in very good to exellent condition for $40.00. $150 for both seems a bit high for me.
 
Back
Top Bottom