• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

harmon/kardon td 420 cassette deck leaving soot on the roof

Anolsos_1974

Active Member
Hi all, I’m having some problems with this lovely old deck and during troubleshooting I noticed two areas of soot buildup above the power supply and the second above some heat sinks. I haven’t checked any of the components yet and obviously it’s not ideal but maybe it’s normal. Does anyone have any idea? I put my finger through the smudge to illustrate. Thanks!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_2951.jpeg
    IMG_2951.jpeg
    334.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2950.jpeg
    IMG_2950.jpeg
    131.8 KB · Views: 11
Register to hide this ad
Well it has probably been close to 30 years since the inside of that cover has been cleaned, and it'll take another decade or two for the soot to build up again. So yes, it's normal for this type of build up to occur on vintage equipment over the years.
 
Since we handled this problem, you might want to post any other problems with this deck in the "Tape" forum.
 
Back
Top Bottom