• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Has anybody experienced worsening of alergies over the last several weeks?

Grew up with friggin' allergies -- hay fever & whatnot @ warm months, house dust (mites?) and canned air @ the cold months -- in Chicago and in Miami. Then for a period of time in the military, especially in North Carolina (Fayetteville) and Georgia (Ft Benning). Fast forward to -- IIRC -- my third year in the service, during a tour in Afghanistan: allergies abated there and then and forever. Yessirs, I've not had a single effin' "allergic episode" since circa 1982.

PS: On the down side, I did pick up, in Afghanistan (tour one or two, not sure @ which) a mean case of tinnitus, which remains wiht me to this day... moment.
 
When this thread started, I was only 2 days into taking NAC, N-acetyl cysteine. After a week, my breathing and sinuses are much better.

Taking NAC and Z-Stack now as a regular regiment.
 
Neilmed sinus rinse might help. It certainly helps with sinus infections.
Yeah, I hate that some guy named Neil tried to capitalize a MUCH older eastern concept like the netipot.
Rinsing your sinuses with a saline solution is a GREAT cleansing technique.
https://www.webmd.com/allergies/neti-pots
Just be sure to use distilled water and NOT tap water!
(Emma nukes a pyrex cup of distilled water in the microwave before mixing it with the salt in the nasal pitcher) Works best with WARM water.

And Emma has the dental issue - some teeth (roots) that intruded into her sinuses - she used to get serious headaches in her cheek in allergy season,
until she found the neti-pot therapy. Warm saline solution rinsing out the gunk has greatly eased that problem.
 
Yeah, I hate that some guy named Neil tried to capitalize a MUCH older eastern concept like the netipot.
He simply *built a better mouse trap*. Isn't that what capitalism is all about? :dunno:
Just be sure to use distilled water and NOT tap water!
(Emma nukes a pyrex cup of distilled water in the microwave before mixing it with the salt in the nasal pitcher) Works best with WARM water .
:thumbsup:
 
I also use this 2 times a day
22600029502.jpg
 
Hadn't thought about nuking it. I usually run hot water in the sink, and set the bottle in it for a few minutes.
One point - don't use TAP WATER - use distilled water.
You don't know when there might be some kind of bacteria or something in the tap -
and nasal treatments have quick access to your brain!
Emma nukes distilled water, then gives it a few moments to cool off before pouring the saline solution up her nose.
As always, when in doubt, ask your Doctor.
 
My nose is stuffed constantly .
Ever been checked for nasal polyps?

I have had them removed twice. The second time they used a better way and they are not growing back this time. Before my first surgery, it was like trying to breath thru a cocktail straw.
 
Ever been checked for nasal polyps?
I have had them removed twice. The second time they used a better way and they are not growing back this time. Before my first surgery, it was like trying to breath thru a cocktail straw.
Ugh. They did an MRI for Emma and found those in her passages.
That doctor said one of her passages was ossified and did surgery on it in Jan 2018.
She does the nettipot to try and keep it from clogging again. No returns yet.
 
Ever been checked for nasal polyps?

I have had them removed twice. The second time they used a better way and they are not growing back this time. Before my first surgery, it was like trying to breath thru a cocktail straw.
This is something that has cropped up this winter.
 
I use the neti pot, especially in the dry winter months. Follow hjames advice about distilled water.

Also, I've had very good results with Xyzal ( or generic ) and Flonase. Claratin never did anything for me.
 
Flonase is good but in order for it to work properly, you need to use it all the time, not just when you are stuffy. That like any other drug is bad to use all the time.
 
I have suffered with allergies all my life due to a deviated septum, but the past couple of years sinus attacks are more frequent.
Nasal spray & vapor rub are part of my daily ritual to keep things from not drying out. For the pain, with all of the meds I have tried only Excedrin shuts it down if I take a dose early. Does a number on my tummy though.

Also, my doctor prescribed some Mupirocin 2% ointment for infection.

Rome
 
Nasal spray & vapor rub are part of my daily ritual to keep things from not drying out.

I've found that this saline nasal gel works a lot better than nasal sprays for addressing dryness issues:

https://www.amazon.com/Ayr-Saline-N...id=1643231256&sprefix=nasal+gel,aps,92&sr=8-5

I have suffered with allergies all my life due to a deviated septum

I had surgery for deviated septum about 15 or 20 years ago. To be honest, I didn't feel like it made much of a difference. Everyone's mileage will vary, but it was not pleasant (to say the least) for about 2 weeks after surgery, and I didn't feel it helped much.
 
Back
Top Bottom