• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Has anyone compared the Marantz SACD 30n to the SA-KI, and SA 10?

Onebean

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I'm very curious on the sound quality difference between these 3 models through single ended and balanced outputs (no balanced out on 30n or SA-KI). If would appear all three use the Marantz designed MMM dac system, versus an off the shelf dac chip. I'd like to upgrade my existing Marantz SA-8004, so I can move that to a second system. How do these three compare to one another, how big of a step up would they represent compared to the SA-8004?

I will use this newer machine as my redbook CD player, SACD player, and dac for streaming Quobuz, Spotify, and Amazon HD.
 
Register to hide this ad
I never compared all three myself, but I did own a N30 for about a year. CD and SACD play back is excellent and the streaming is good, but I didn't like being stuck to the Heos platform.
Some people say the SAKI Ruby is better, but for more money.
 
@audiobliss thanks for the reply. I have heard other folks say the same about Heos. End game plan, I would likely use the USB in from a dedicated streamer. What did you replace it with? Sony UBP X1100ES and an external dac?
 
Yes, the Sony UBP-X1100ES and a mcintosh C47 preamp with internal dac. I put most of the money in the preamp and skimped on the disc player since I don't use it much anyway.
I must say, the Marantz N30 is a well built machine, a solid 30 lbs. The Heos app isn't really that bad, lots on there to play, it's just that it all comes through at 16/44 resolution, not really hi res.
Maybe the software has been upgraded now, it's a good one box solution if you intend to have a separate streamer.
You can buy to try and return it if not happy. Cluthfield give you 60 days, so does Music Direct, and I see they have a few open box deals right now.
 
So the big question is, how does the X1100ES with the Mac dac compare to the 30n? The other Avenue I’m exploring is buying an R2R dac like Denafrips Pontus II or Border Patrol, or maybe a McIntosh D150 and run my Marantz SA8004 into that along with a streamer.
 
The 30N is much more refined player than the Sony on a one on one comparison, as it should be for the price, but using them as a transport into the C47 they are very close. I do prefer the dac in the c47 over the Marantz.
Another reason for going with the Sony was that it can play DVDs, DVD Audio and Bluray disc. I bought a bluray audio disc to try and was amazing, never knew bluray audio sound so good, much better than any SACD I have.
I am interested in the new mcintosh MDA200 dac, waiting on the reviews.
 
I enjoy my SA-KI Ruby but have not been able to compare it to the SA-10. To be honest I wanted Ken's last statement player. I also have the SA-14 S1 SE and the Ruby is better imo. It just sounds smoother and more spacial if that makes sense. Cheers.
 
Yes, the Sony UBP-X1100ES and a mcintosh C47 preamp with internal dac. I put most of the money in the preamp and skimped on the disc player since I don't use it much anyway.
I must say, the Marantz N30 is a well built machine, a solid 30 lbs. The Heos app isn't really that bad, lots on there to play, it's just that it all comes through at 16/44 resolution, not really hi res.
Maybe the software has been upgraded now, it's a good one box solution if you intend to have a separate streamer.
You can buy to try and return it if not happy. Cluthfield give you 60 days, so does Music Direct, and I see they have a few open box deals right now
I know this is an older thread, but hoping you could elaborate on this a little as I have been seriously considering a SACD 30n for streaming and from what I have read it is capable of full lossless FLAC 24/192 in Heos via Amazon HD, or even better straight DSD with no PCM processing. What services were you using?
 
I just used HEOS to stream and it only came through in 16/44 resolution no matter which service. I had Amazon HD also.
Its been a couple years now so maybe they have improved the HEOS software.
 
I just used HEOS to stream and it only came through in 16/44 resolution no matter which service. I had Amazon HD also.
Its been a couple years now so maybe they have improved the HEOS software.
Were you using the native HEOS app and playing amazon as a source? Or were you using the Amazon ap and sending it to HEOS? Natively HEOS has worked in ultra hd since late 2020, but if you use the Amazon app and send it into HEOS is only does it at 16/44
 
I only used the HEOS app. Maybe some of it was in HD , but it was hard to tell as it didn’t show any resolution on the display. That was one of my reasons for not keeping it longer.
I had a N6006 before the N30, it didn’t show any either, you would think that for the price of the N30 it would.
 
I only used the HEOS app. Maybe some of it was in HD , but it was hard to tell as it didn’t show any resolution on the display. That was one of my reasons for not keeping it longer.
I had a N6006 before the N30, it didn’t show any either, you would think that for the price of the N30 it would.
Ah ok - it does show it in the app - chances are you were listening in HD and ultra HD.
 
Yeah, those were my early days of streaming, so was still in the learn curve, so it’s possible.
It is a beautiful machine, well built and smooth operating.
I have a Marantz nr1510 receiver setup in the garage that I still play HEOS on mostly for background music, I think I will try the Amazon app on it and see if I hear a difference.
Most of my Amazon HD listening now is through a WiiM Pro.
 
Yeah, those were my early days of streaming, so was still in the learn curve, so it’s possible.
It is a beautiful machine, well built and smooth operating.
I have a Marantz nr1510 receiver setup in the garage that I still play HEOS on mostly for background music, I think I will try the Amazon app on it and see if I hear a difference.
Most of my Amazon HD listening now is through a WiiM Pro.
Are you using a seperate DAC for the Wiim Pro? From what I understand the DAC (or lack of DAC really considering how MMM processes sound) in the Marantz is excellent and is the primary reason I am considering it. I have a substantial CD collection that I don't listen too much but would more with a better player, but I use a blusesound node for streaming and while it's built in DAV out preforms the WiiM, both are quite lackluster and I like the idea of running everything through the onboard Marantz MMM if the sound quality is as good as I have read.
 
Yes I am using a separate dac, was using a McIntosh , but now using a Emotiva XDA-3.
More feature, more inputs and outputs, same sound quality at a fraction of the price.
 
Yes I am using a separate dac, was using a McIntosh , but now using a Emotiva XDA-3.
More feature, more inputs and outputs, same sound quality at a fraction of the price.
Did you ever try using one of the digital inputs to listen to a Wiim or similar on the Marantz? I am very curious how the MMM preforms as a standalone DAC.
 
No I did not. The Marantz MMM has its own SQ flavor. So you will just have to give it a try.
I have not seen any negative reviews of the sound quality.
 
Back
Top Bottom