• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Has Anyone re-boxed Tannoy 10" III-LZ's?

lorne

Sonic Lizard
The Tannoy dual concentric III LZ was a shelf speaker model, praised by few, passed over by many for the lack of base. There have been some radical reworking of these units with larger, ported cabinets instead of the infinite baffle, sealed, small boxes. They were built to specific plans by sellers as Tannoy did not produce them. (I chucked mine years ago because they were cheesy and beaten up — taking up space.)

I was going to go radical while reintroducing these drivers to my system. But, I found some seemingly sage advice that cautioned a conservative approach lest one risks a dreadful result. Besides, the big alterations are beyond my 'pay-scale'. The original X-overs and cone compliance etc were engineered around a small, shelf enclosure.

So I am think of increasing the volume by 10-20% and rebuilding the X-overs for a second time — perhaps once again wiring the treble energy switches for flat like I did years ago.

BUT ... I am still searching all over the web for some insights and getting nowhere past where I was in knowledge of 15 years ago! ANY IDEAS or suggestions would be great!
 
Register to hide this ad
Greetings;
I did find some into on gold III LZ ver.1 x-over. but at least 'I" don't know what you have.. Also, You said you chucked them so don't quite understand what you're try to do.
 
Greetings;
I did find some into on gold III LZ ver.1 x-over. but at least 'I" don't know what you have.. Also, You said you chucked them so don't quite understand what you're try to do.

I only chucked the cabinets. I thought about saving them and doing something with them. But after a lot of pondering, I felt they were just not good enough too take up the space in a Japanese house. So I packed up the drivers and the cross-over boxes. The X-over boxes still retain the cable an all-important plug on the end. The X-over boards still retain the unobtainium parts. I think I tossed the crudy treble energy switches. I never found them to be of any use, and the speakers sounderd better when wired for the flat default.

What am I trying to do, you ask? (Thanks for asking.) Build a infinite baffle, sealed cabinet with larger dimensions that MIGHT give out a better base response — BUT — one that will not be so big as to distort lower register! Is it possible? How much larger volume? The answers lie in the design parameters of the stock crossover networks and the the compliance of the driver cones which may have stiffened over time due to some plasticizers the were applied to the cellulose.

For years I have been searching for some more definitive info about this, but I have only found hints — and only one or two at that. Some comprehensive articles have described some very extensive engineering changes based on physics and mathematics I cannot understand, despite some effort.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom