• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Has anyone used the Soundcraftsmen instructional test record?

GDRichey

New Member
I have my Soundcraftsmen MA5002 back from recap and my SP4001 EQ preamp:banana:. Using JBL 4411s. I am not using the EQ section of the preamp because honestly I do not know how to properly adjust it. I ordered the Soundcraftsmen instruction test record to see if it helps. Has anyone used it? I have considered getting another preamp but would like to see what this one is capable of.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20150221_201738659 (1).jpg
    IMG_20150221_201738659 (1).jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 17
Register to hide this ad
Regardless of what anyone tells you the test record and manual (microphone optional and recommended) are all you need.

There are two approaches to using an equalizer. You can use it as a "glorified" tone control or you can make some measurements with a microphone and try to flatten the in room response of your system. That most equalizers end up with a smiley face on the sliders says that most are used as tone controls.

Incidentally, depending on what kind of cell phone you have there may be an SPL app (there are lots of free ones) for it. If so, you can use that in place of a separate microphone.
 
Last edited:
I have both the record and CD versions. If you have a level meter, it will help the process. It will help balance out the room's response, but there is a lot of trial and error with the system design. You will use it repeatedly and perhaps get different responses (and settings) each time you use it. At least that is what I have found. Again, a level meter would help in this process.

Wayner
 
Back
Top Bottom