I know it sounds a little ridiculous, but I stumbled across this article and found it to be intriguing!
http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2016/03/15/high-definition-vinyl-will-soon-become-a-reality/
Now, whether they're starting in the analog realm and staying there is something I don't know about. On the one hand, it sounds like they do a lot of digital pre-production work to configure the distance between grooves, etc..., but... and here's where I'm really confused, it says they use a laser to cut the groove onto the stamper.
Oh.... and while it says that this new vinyl format would be backward compatible, it hints that you'll be feeling pressure to upgrade your old hardware.
I might be tempted to do that, but only if that new hardware is backward compatible with my existing collection of LPs.
Was curious if anyone else had heard about this and what your thoughts are.
http://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2016/03/15/high-definition-vinyl-will-soon-become-a-reality/
Now, whether they're starting in the analog realm and staying there is something I don't know about. On the one hand, it sounds like they do a lot of digital pre-production work to configure the distance between grooves, etc..., but... and here's where I'm really confused, it says they use a laser to cut the groove onto the stamper.
Oh.... and while it says that this new vinyl format would be backward compatible, it hints that you'll be feeling pressure to upgrade your old hardware.
I might be tempted to do that, but only if that new hardware is backward compatible with my existing collection of LPs.
Was curious if anyone else had heard about this and what your thoughts are.