• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Headphone Amp March Madness Bracket

Your bracket winner is

  • Schiit Vali

    Votes: 4 44.4%
  • Little Dot MkII

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Xduoo TA 05

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bravo V2

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Bravo V3

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Schiit Magni

    Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Objective2

    Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Nobsound NS-08e

    Votes: 0 0.0%

  • Total voters
    9

SchweinHaus

Well-Known Member
I'm looking to buy a decent headphone amp. I think I'd prefer tubes, but it's not a dealbreaker. I want to keep it under $150, as I'll probably need a DAC as well. As such, leaving extra money for a DAC is a big bonus here. In otherwords, the $50 Nobsound or the $65 Bravo V2 leave an extra $85-100 for a DAC over the Schiit Vali, so that can be taken into account. And, as much as I hate to admit it, I'm planning on using this in the office, and having the cool dude tube look goes a long way for me. Plus tube rolling sounds like a lot of fun.
With that in mind, and after a ton of research, I though I'd put it to you guys.

Here's the basic format:

(1) Schiit Vali (1) Little Dot MkII
(4) Nobsound NS-08E (4) Massdrop Objective2

(2) Xduoo TA 05 (2)Schiit Magni
(3) Bravo V2 (3) Bravo V3


I've got a set of AKG K240 Studio and Pioneer SE-A1000's now, and I think they'd both benefit greatly from an upgraded source. I've also got my eye on a set of planars, probably HifiMan, down the pike. Also, if there's something else under $150 you think stomps all of these, please feel free to enter a darkhorse candidate.
 

Attachments

  • Headphone Amp Bracket.jpg
    Headphone Amp Bracket.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 7
Register to hide this ad
I have a Little Dot MKII a Nobsound NS-08e and a Bravo V2. All three have upgraded tubes. The Little Dot IMO sounds better. I should mention that the Little Dot runs very hot.

I have phones from HiFi Man, Monolith, Grado, JBL, and Koss. None of these amps has any problem driving any of my headphones.
 
Last edited:
I'm really intrigued by the Bravo V3, since it has an EQ. It's a stinker, as far as looks go IMO, but I tend to find everything I listen to too bassy. I think it has to do with working construction from a very young age and maybe some high end hearing loss from drills and whatnot. I've read that the Bravo units develop a hum over time, which turns me off. The Schiit Loki EQ looks pretty cool, but I don't know if it's worth $150 to add to the rig. That being said, a "schiit stack" would be cool to have (though you're up to $400 at that point.)
I think the Little Dot's strength is that it has tubes in the pre and power stages, and I love the looks. It's also the only one with a real transformer. It's the same cost as the Schiit Vali, which, by reputation, should be the winner, though I don't love the looks and it has a solid state power stage. I don't think it has quite as many tube rolling options as the Little Dot either. I'm super torn here, but there's really no place to test any of these out, so I'm running blind.
 
In my experience OTL (output transformer less) tube amps sound better than SS and transformer coupled tube output stages. An OTL I can afford that will drive either my Acoustat Spectra 22's or my Magneplanar 1'7's is at the top of my covet list.

I don't feel the need to use an equalizer with any of my phones. I have tried the built in equalizers in the two music players I use (Music Bee, Media Monkey). I always come back to flat.
 
I'm kind of just thinking of saving my pennies and going for the Schiit Valhalla. I know these are famous last words, but I might as well make a purchase that could be my last.
 
I'm currently using a Fiio A3 portable headphone amp. I'm looking to upgrade to desktop amp only, so i could use a separate DAC, and keep finding myself coming back to the Schiit Magni 3. However, I do like the JDS piece, @rogerfederer ! Any other suggestions for amps - all the budget amps I see online have an internal DAC and no RCA inputs - OR - their price is right up there with the Schiit Magni 3 and I can't justify paying about the same for an unknown unit. :no:
 
Back
Top Bottom