• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Headphone amp suggestions needed

nyaudio98

Active Member
I have a peachtree Decco 65 and i'm told the headphone amp in that is pretty good. Is there any advantage is getting a seperate headphone amp for listening to music. I might also be selling the Peachtree and would need a headphone amp. I would say lesser in price is better if I do this. Open to suggestions. I just got the Grado 125 headphones.
 
Register to hide this ad
I use a Graham Slee Novo headphone amp to drive my B&W P7 headphones and am very happy with it.
 
I've heard the Monoprice Desktop Headphone Amplifier is a good bargin, and is a rebranded FiiO E09K headphone amp. I can't find the TI chip it uses, but seen reviews that say that particular chip is a great one. Oh and it has a DAC.
 
Do you have any vintage gear (pre-amps, receivers) in your current lineup? I had a Marantz 2238b that drove my Senn HD800s quite well.

Funny thing is there is a thread over at the headphone enthusiast website that is dedicated to vintage gear and its ability to drive headphones (and do it well). Some are even abandoning their dedicated head amps in favor of vintage stuff...
 
Grado's are so low impedance that while vintage gear can work it can often be a poor match. It doesn't take much to drive them and a lot of cheaper opamp based amps can easily do the job. That rebadged Fiio being sold by monoprice doesn't sound bad. The O2 is insanely popular over on Head-Fi and those who are mechanically inclined can build one themselves from a kit. The battery powered cmoy amps also work well and with those you're canceling the variable of power supply quality.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Another vintage idea, Grado had published a circuit to use your amp, with resistors to power your headphones on your speaker terminals. I was thinking that a TPA3116 amp with all it's clarity and detail might make a nice headphone amp.


1000x500px-LL-c6c831f4_grado10828267502io.jpg
 
Another vintage idea, Grado had published a circuit to use your amp, with resistors to power your headphones on your speaker terminals. I was thinking that a TPA3116 amp with all it's clarity and detail might make a nice headphone amp.





1000x500px-LL-c6c831f4_grado10828267502io.jpg


Does the TPA3116 have a common ground? I wanted to do this with a T-amp but all of the Tripath chips would short out connected to a setup like this :(


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 
Any of the meier stuff should work well. The rock should set you back less than $200 if not less used.
 
Ok, please advise. I was told the headphone amp in the Peachtree was good, is this incorrect?? I have the Grado 125E prestige series headphones. If I go with a headphone amp some have recommended, will I get 50 percent or more better sound and clarity then what I have?
 
I have the LSA statement 1 speakers on stands and the peachtree decco 65. I use usb cable to listen to Tidal. I'm considering upgrading my speakers and then the integrated amp as well. I might just upgrade to a very good integrated only. For now, I want very good sound with headphones. Thanks to all who have chimed in.
 
I've found the M-Stage Matrix to be a great match for my AKG Q701's, but the output from my NAD pre-amp and an Akai AA-920 receiver is pretty good too.
If you're able to, find a retailer that can demo various amps with your headphones, like the Headphone Bar in Vancouver.
 
If you can find one on the used market, the Mapletree Audio Design EAR HD+ tube amp has a legendary synergy with Grado headphones. They are lovingly, hand built & adaptable to tube rolling. The additional benefit is that there two outputs for low ohm & high ohm headphones.
 
Depending on budget, I would go with anything from Schiit.
Used their amps from the Magni to the Lyr and they all sound great in their priceranges.
the only one that I would skip is the Schiit Vali, the tubes they use are real sensitive to 'ringing'. When you tap the amp the headphones will give out a ringing sound, when you accidentally pull the headphone cord also and at turn on.
 
I have the Schiit Valhalla 2

Using it for my Sennheiser 650 hd headphones.

Love it!

No issues what so ever.
 
Go for broke and try the Melos SHA-Gold. The best preamp and headphone amplifier I have heard. I once owned the Audio Alchemy HPA-1.0 headphone amp. It runs in pure class A. That thing got hot! It sounded very well, but time has probably clouded my memory of it.
 
I have a Melos SHA-1 and it powers my Grado 325i better than any preamp, receiver, or headphone amp that I've tried so far.
 
Back
Top Bottom