• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Headphones - New Technologies?

stevex

Member
Hi, I apologize but I'm new here, and know nothing about headphones. I know this has been asked in other posts but answers seem as diverse as the people here, and a bit over-whelming. And the threads that I saw were all 5 years or older. So I'm asking again, very specifically . . .

Please help - for under $300, I'm looking for new headphones I can plug into my Marantz 1060 amp. I do not want wireless. And I want the type that completely cover the ears and block all outside sound. I'm looking for something comfortable but quality that can play Pink Floyd type music especially well. If it can do that then it should be able to play anything else I listen to as well. Any new technologies I may not be aware of in headphones? If I can be more specific, please let me know. Please be very specific in your answers and model recommendations. I'll be buying headphones based on your recommendations here.

Thank you, everyone for your help and opinions.
 
Register to hide this ad
Sennheiser HD6XX's from drop.com. They go for $199 and are a classic. They aren't noise cancelling though.
 
Last edited:
Regarding a closed back model: I have Beyer DT-770, 80 ohm. Here are the latest and greatest of this model, the 770 Pro X Limited, the detachable cable is a nice feature.

Keep in mind that the difference in sound signature can vary by a wide margin. I have phones by Grado, Beyer, HiFiMan, and AKG... they all sound completely different.

 
Thank you both for your replies. I'm still studying all I can on the Sennheiser HD6XX's and Beyer 770 Pro X Limited. So far I think I'm leaning toward the Beyer. But with over 203,000 being sold, that's a real statement for the Sennheiser HD6XX's. And the more I study, I think the more I'm leaning toward the open back. But it's hard to beat that Beyer video review.
It's mentioned the Grado, Beyer, HiFiMan, and AKG all sound completely different. I'm just looking for something I can afford that most realistically and comfortably reproduces the actual sound. They may all sound different, but of all the headphones mentioned, which one has the most realistic sound reproduction?
 
Last edited:
Akg stuff to me sounds thin. I really like Sennheiser stuff.
The hd58x is cheaper than the hd6xx and easier to drive.
I managed to snag a hd650 at an estate sale pretty cheap.
So right now I have both the hd650 and hd58x.
I also have a grado ps500 and a Akg q701. The hd650
and hd6xx would be my first choices in headphones.
There are better choices, but they would blow the budget.
Plus if you ever need earpads or other parts, you can buy
them anywhere. The Senn hd series have been out there
for years.
 
Do you need closed back? Sennheisers are open-back. I have HD650's and like them a lot. I also have Beyerdynamic DT880-600ohms which are semi-closed. Closed headphones don't sound as good as open back ones, but if you need to block out sound maybe try DT770's. You will want the 80 ohm version due to the limitations of the headphone output of your amp.
 
I don't need the closed back. I don't have any sound I need to block out. Someone once just told me closed back had better sound. If open back produce the better sound, then that is what I want. I don't have the money for a second pair of headphones, so I want to get the best I can afford the first time around.
To me then it sounds like the Sennheiser HD6XX will be my choice. Anything better at a slightly higher price of a hundred or so dollars?
 
  • Like
Reactions: HB3
I don't need the closed back. I don't have any sound I need to block out. Someone once just told me closed back had better sound. If open back produce the better sound, then that is what I want. I don't have the money for a second pair of headphones, so I want to get the best I can afford the first time around.
To me then it sounds like the Sennheiser HD6XX will be my choice. Anything better at a slightly higher price of a hundred or so dollars?
In my experience, the genuine Sennheiser HD650's sound better than the HD6XX. Also these headphones are not likely to be driven to their full potential out of the headphone jack of your Marantz 1060. A lower impedance headphone may be a better match. Something like the DT990-80ohm would work well, which is significantly LESS expensive than the Senns. That's what I would recommend unless you are planning to get a dedicated headphone amplifier that can drive high impedance headphones.
 
Last edited:
I have a restored 1060. Thought I would attach my headphones to hear how it drives them. And give my opinion.

Now my hearing is challenged in high registers, with some tinnitus. That given.

I have Senns HD-58X sold by Drop. They are 150 ohm. The 1060 has no trouble driving them. 9 or 10 o'clock dial gets plenty loud.

I also have Hifiman HE4XX sold by Drop. And I have Hifiman Sundara. Bought open box direct from Hifiman. They both are about 35 ohm. So alike to drive. The 1060 doesn't have trouble driving them. 10 or 11 c'clock gets plenty loud. Slightly harder to drive than HD-58X. But, I don't have head room issues.

I seldom listen to speakers over 75 dbs spl. Trying to save hearing. I don't challenge these setups max volume ability.

I'm not a headphone expert. I usually use a Schiit Asgard3 headphone Amp setup with a Schiit four dial equalizer, when I do.

But the 1060 does a nice job. And works well. Now, would it drive 600 ohm Senns? I have no experience with that. So can't guess. But 35 to 150 ohms phones aren't a problem for 1060.

I like all three pair of phones I have. The three 1060's tone controls are invaluable to fine tune headphones.

As a 1060 owner you likely have experienced turn on thump they do. I turn volume to zero when turning Amp on and off. You might want to plug the headphones in after Amp is already on, to avoid thump.
My 2¢ only.
 
Last edited:
I don't need the closed back. I don't have any sound I need to block out. Someone once just told me closed back had better sound. If open back produce the better sound, then that is what I want. I don't have the money for a second pair of headphones, so I want to get the best I can afford the first time around.
To me then it sounds like the Sennheiser HD6XX will be my choice. Anything better at a slightly higher price of a hundred or so dollars?
You could look at Grado SR325x's. They go for $275 (I think) and get a lot of love. However, Grado's aren't for everyone. They tend to be bright. Read a few reviews and see what you think.
 
Thank you everyone for your help. I’ve learned a lot. And I’m especially appreciative of Old Guy8 for actually testing headphones on a Marantz 1060. I now know what will definitely work.
But it’s still a bit overwhelming, so I made a chart of the recommended headphones comparing them to each other. The prices are just rough estimates I found on the internet. A little searching I’m sure can find other prices, both more and less.
From what I’ve learned, I can eliminate anything with a closed back. I can also eliminate anything with a 300 ohm or more impedance.
Judging by the number of people who like the Sennheiser HD650, I’m seriously considering HD660S, which I assume is similar to the HD650 but has half the impedance. But for price is it twice as good as the Beyerdynamic DT900, DT900 Pro X, or DT990, or DT990 Pro? And other than impedance, is there a difference between these 4 DT models? And I’m still researching how the GRADO compares to the Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic brands.
Thank you all for your help and in educating me on what to look for.

Sennheiser HD58X - $180 --- 150 ohm --- open back
Sennheiser HD660S - $450 --- 150 ohm --- open back
Beyerdynamic DT900 Pro X - $240 --- 48 ohm --- open back
Beyerdynamic DT990 - $170 --- 32,250,600 ohm --- open back
Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro - $180 --- 80, 250 ohm --- open back
GRADO SR325x - $295 --- 30 ohm --- open back
HiFiman Sundara - $280 --- 32 ohm --- open back

Sennheiser HD600 - $350 --- 300 ohm --- open back
Sennheiser HD6XX - $199 --- 300 ohm --- open back
Sennheiser HD650 - $450 --- 300 ohm --- open back
Sennheiser HD660S2 - $475 --- 300 ohm --- open back
Beyerdynamic DT880 - $170 --- 32, 250, 600 ohm --- semi-open back
Beyerdynamic DT900 Pro - $160 --- 80,250 ohm --- open back
 
Last edited:
You should put the HiFiman Sundara on your short list. There are many very positive reviews(mine included) and they are within your budget.

Keep in mind that new headphones, no matter what brand or type, will require time to "break in"; they usually do not sound their best right out of the box so don't be put off by your first impression.
 
Yes, the Hifiman Sundaras are nice phones. They have Planer Magnetic drivers. Rather than cone drivers.
 
Thank you for the suggestion. I can see the Hifiman Sundaras have some really good reviews. As I research, I'll just keep rearranging my little list until I determine which headphone I'm getting.
Again, thank you , everyone.
 
  • Like
Reactions: HB3
I've used my hd650's on a Marantz 1150. Worked fairly well. The hd58x are
more efficient and work well with just about anything. Go over to head-fi.org
and do some homework. You can also see a lot of used gear for sale. Just
make sure the seller has some feedback. I paid $120 all in on my hd58x.
My estate sale hd650 was $110 locally. The akg q701 was local as well, $100.
The grado ps500 was new and cost $600 plus tax. I'll never buy new again.
Used means you can flip it and not lose much money if you decide it's not
working out. I've had Beyer dt770 and various stax gear.
Please keep in mind lower impedance headphones don't always mean
they are easier to drive. The q701 likes power. Much harder to drive than
Hd650 at twice the impedance.
 
I don't need the closed back. I don't have any sound I need to block out. Someone once just told me closed back had better sound. If open back produce the better sound, then that is what I want. I don't have the money for a second pair of headphones, so I want to get the best I can afford the first time around.
To me then it sounds like the Sennheiser HD6XX will be my choice. Anything better at a slightly higher price of a hundred or so dollars?
Each brand tends to have a 'House' sound so choosing between say 4 brands that produce a 'good sounding' model at your price point will still result in 4 different presentations. Then factor in your music genre preference and the inconvenient fact that no two people have the same hearing curve...and you'll begin to understand why some people would actually prefer 2 entry level models from two different brands..rather than a one size fits all solution. I'd' recommend trying to listen to the recent versions of the Grado SR60 or SR80 in a demo and then whatever the modern equivalent is of something like the Sennheiser HD-555 and HD-595. Decide which presentation you like between those two brands..or say Sennheiser and Beyer / Akg and go from there. If you cant decide..buy one of each that sounds very different but still musical to your ears...that way you can cover most genres of music.
 
Thank you, Sir, for your reply. I'm beginning to get the feeling a lot of it is subjective. Unfortunately the nearest city that might have a stereo store where I can compare different headphones is Klamath, Oregon, 70 plus miles from me. I was thinking of buying two used ones from Amazon or eBay then reselling the brand I liked the least. I'm still trying to decide which ones to try first, as long as they come recommended and have an impedance of not more than 150 ohms.
 
I've used my hd650's on a Marantz 1150. Worked fairly well. The hd58x are
more efficient and work well with just about anything. Go over to head-fi.org
and do some homework. You can also see a lot of used gear for sale. Just
make sure the seller has some feedback. I paid $120 all in on my hd58x.
My estate sale hd650 was $110 locally. The akg q701 was local as well, $100.
The grado ps500 was new and cost $600 plus tax. I'll never buy new again.
Used means you can flip it and not lose much money if you decide it's not
working out. I've had Beyer dt770 and various stax gear.
Please keep in mind lower impedance headphones don't always mean
they are easier to drive. The q701 likes power. Much harder to drive than
Hd650 at twice the impedance.
Thank you, but a Marantz 1150 is a professional 75 watt amp, as far as I know, where as my 1060 is only a 30 watt amp. So I don't know that a HD650 would work with my amp at all. But I've read a lot of great things about the HD58x and is definitely one of the one's I'm seriously considering. And thank you for the referral to head-fi.org. I'm definitelf spending a lot of time there now too.
Thank you, Sir.
 
Back
Top Bottom