• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Headphone's off balance after fixing TRS, how do I diagnose?

Mat86

Active Member
Having a balance issue and feel I'm at a wall

I recently broke my headphone plug and had to solder a new plug about a month ago. Then I broke it again last night just in normal use, the ground wires came loose, so I redid it much more secure. I also reflowed the L (Tip) connection while I was in there because it looked kinda weak and I didn't want to have another accident.

Today I'm listening and notice on some songs there's a channel imbalance, particularly with vocals, with the left channel being slightly louder

- I did a bunch of listening tests and couldnt notice imbalances generally, but I did try playing music or static with my amp at zero and rolling volume up, and did find the L side was audible first
- I reversed L/R on my source and the L side stayed louder
- I reversed the Seinnheiser connections on my headphone drivers, and the imbalance switched

So I know it's not the source (no change) and not the drivers (they switched when reversing the connectors)

I then tested resistance (while plugged into the 300ohm headphones) with one probe on the plug to Sleeve (negative) and one to lead. With 2k selected, Left measures 0.317 and Right measures 0.319. (and I tested it again out of boredom after writing this and one was .299 and the other .300) If I do a continuity test from T/R/S to the pins on the other end, they read the same, ~.23 (if that even means anything)

How is this possible and how can I test further to figure out what's causing this? I have a multimeter but am very novice with it outside of continuity testing, and dont want to just randomly disassemble and mess with soldering without a clear goal or way of measuring whats going on. Is the problem the louder one, or the quieter one?

EDIT: I should add, I just had a moment of clarity, but I thought there was a channel imbalance prior to even touching anything last night. The connection broke as I was plugging it in and out of different amps investigating a belief that drums sounded slightly off center. Not sure if that means something else is going on here, or just a red herring
 
Last edited:
Register to hide this ad
I would say replace the cord. You can go with an OEM version or aftermarket. After trying an aftermarket one on my HD650's, it was worth the money.
 
I would say replace the cord. You can go with an OEM version or aftermarket. After trying an aftermarket one on my HD650's, it was worth the money.

I think you're right. The cable *is* (was?) an aftermarket one I've had for years....expensive one, so was hoping I could fix the issue. The more I test the cable on the meter the more I think it's the cable rather than my soldering on the plug. Ordering something from china and crossing my fingers.

It's a very weird imbalance to pin down. I'm testing with, say, Daft Punk. Around the World sounds more or less fine. Then I put on Giorgio and there's this bassy phaser effect that fades in and out during the track...and I can only really identify it in one ear. Unplug the loud channel and it's barely there - swap the cable inputs and it changes ears, but changing the L/R on my software and it doesn't move. Aggravating.
 
I think you're right. The cable *is* (was?) an aftermarket one I've had for years....expensive one, so was hoping I could fix the issue. The more I test the cable on the meter the more I think it's the cable rather than my soldering on the plug. Ordering something from china and crossing my fingers.

It's a very weird imbalance to pin down. I'm testing with, say, Daft Punk. Around the World sounds more or less fine. Then I put on Giorgio and there's this bassy phaser effect that fades in and out during the track...and I can only really identify it in one ear. Unplug the loud channel and it's barely there - swap the cable inputs and it changes ears, but changing the L/R on my software and it doesn't move. Aggravating.
Here's the guy I went with....and then built my own. https://audiophileninja.com/
 
Headphone jacks are actually quite small, so if your solder joints are not excellent or securing the cable afterwards are not up to the task then they just won't last. It happens.

Why not just replace the cable with the same model you had? It seems like it was able to withstand some heavy use over the years. So much of headphone cable longevity comes down to that joint between the actual wire and the headphone plug (on either end) so if you're having trouble with it, no worries: just replace the entire thing and get back to your tunes.
 
Back
Top Bottom