• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Headset cable that works with Monoprice Monolith headphones

mjw21a

Super Member
Ok, so recently I was looking for a replacement cable for my Monoprice Monolith M1060 headphones that would allow me to answer phone calls with it, having a built in mic, skip songs, pause etc and was surprised that there is pretty much nothing out there that fits the bill.

Eventually I came across the following eBay listing and ordered to give it a try:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/With-Mi...var=512414972012&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Well I recieved it today and I'm happy to say that the cable is beautifully flexible, and isn't crazy long like the original. Above all it actually works with my Android phone so my M1060 headphones for phone calls and controlling the media player via it's built in button so it will now be used for the daily commute into work on the train.

It's important for me as unless I'm in an incredibly quiet environment I can't hear anyone on the other end of the line with my Xiaomi Pocofone F1. Pretty much the only drawback to this phone.

Anyway, just thought I'd share the listing in case anyone else has headphones which use a pair of 2.5mm jacks and wants the same functionality.
 
Register to hide this ad
The original cable is long because those phones are meant for home use. Not to say that you can't take them on the go but large openbacks are not the ideal tote-around can because there is no sound isolation and everybody around you will hear your phone conversations through the back of the cup. I rarely go out with phones but when I do I use the Sennheiser Momentum on-ear. It was very expensive for quite a small headphone but the sound quality is simply out of this world. And this coming from a guy who generally dislikes Senns. It came with two cables: one for standard use on home audio and one with volume and call management. Calls only work with iPhones but that's what I have so all is good. Volume works on Android devices as well though.
 
I actually prefer open back as it allows me to hear traffic when crossing the road. It's a safety thing. Likewise, I find a surprisingly small amount of sound escapes these vs headphones utilizing dynamic drivers (like my AKG K712 Pro). They're also really rather easy to drive.
 
I actually prefer open back as it allows me to hear traffic when crossing the road. It's a safety thing. Likewise, I find a surprisingly small amount of sound escapes these vs headphones utilizing dynamic drivers (like my AKG K712 Pro). They're also really rather easy to drive.

I agree that open-backs are safer all-around and dynamic ones don't let detailed sound leak (varies with mileage though) but yours are planars and judging by the comments I get why I use the Sundara and LC2 (planars both) is that oeople around me can hear the words of the person at the other end of the line. That said it only happens when I have to turn up the volume way up to cover ambient noise such as subway or plane. That's why I prefer to use the Momentum, the on-ear version that lets you hear your surroundings pretty well yet provides decent sound isolation without leaking a phone conversation, all they will leak is very loud music. They look like bland no-name $12 cans but that's misleading. In reality they cost $400 and perform superbly outdoors. Indoors on a full-size audio system they sound even better but comfort issues keeps me from using them frequently. All Momentums sound very different than any Senn but that may be due to them having been designed in Ireland (where all Senns are made now) by Irish engineers instead of the usual German team. They have that British warmth in sound about them that German designs lack. The Irish wanted a discrete yet high-accuracy system that would be suitable for both outdoor and indoor use. Took them a while to convince the Germans that this was the way to go to remain trendy. Turns out they were spot on, the Momentum line has been and still is Sennheiser's most popular series despite the staggering price tag. They are bassy a bit but nowhere near the ridiculous bass boost found on many lesser mobile HP's. like Beats and such that sound almost like portable subwoofers.
 
I'm glad you made me aware of this. I have the M1060C which I use for music listening while at work, and am frustrated at having to switch headphones whenever I get a phone call (also I can presumably use them for conference calls via Google Hangouts)

How does the mic sound for the person at the other end of the call?

ETA: found for a little less (looks like the same seller with different ID) in US funds.
 
Yeah, they can hear everything around me so no noise cancellation. That said, it's meant to be crystal clear at the other end too so can't complain really.
 
One more question, the remote looks like it only has one button. Is that the case, and if so, can it only do pause/play?

Sorry I don't really know. On my Senn cable there are 3 buttons: one for calls the other two related to music/tone management.
 
Back
Top Bottom