• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Headshell lead wire installation tips

Hello, I'm looking for some advice on dealing with headshell lead wire installation.

I have a Pioneer PL-S70 outfitted with an AT8008 cartridge using a
P mount adapter. Recently I was getting noise from the cartridge when my hand was near it so I decided to remove the headshell wires to DeOxit the pins of the cart, adapter, and headshell and when I was taking the leads off one of them snapped and broke.

I ordered a new set of leads but when I received them the new leads fit very loosely on both the pins of the headshell and the tubes of the p mount adapter. I tried crimping the ends of the leads slightly with a pair of pliers in hopes that they would stay on the pins and tubes better but that didn't work either. Additionally when trying to get the leads on the pins and tubes after crimping, the ends of the leads were pushing some of the pins back inside the headshell and pushing some of the tubes out of the p mount adapter. Eventually one of the tubes on the p mount adapter broke so I removed all of the tubes in the adapter in hopes of connecting the leads directly to the cartridge pins. No luck there either.

Sorry for the long post but installing headshell wires shouldn't be this difficult should it? Am I missing something here? Any tips or tricks to getting these things installed? All headshell leads are basically the same size as far as the ends go?

I really like the AT8008 cartridge but the thought of trying to get leads on the p mount adapter again and possibly breaking another one has me considering just getting an AT95E or something and doing away with the adapter completely. Not sure which way to go here. Thanks to anyone who can help.
 
Register to hide this ad
Eventually one of the tubes on the p mount adapter broke so I removed all of the tubes in the adapter in hopes of connecting the leads directly to the cartridge pins. No luck there either.
This doesn't address your question directly, but it's still very relevant if SQ is your goal.

All P-mount cartridges sound better, much better, if connected directly to the tonearm wiring. The tubes on the adapters (usually called "pins", but you're right: they're hollow tubes) degrade the sound significantly. I learned this by using a P-mount ADC, with adapter. It was lousy, a big disappointment. I knew I'd never use it again so I felt free to experiment. I removed all the tubes, and connected directly to the cart's own pins.

Total transformation! Lousy changed to great, it's now one of my best MMs. A fellow AK'er, one of our "cartridge gurus", compares it favorably to the Grace F9E, a legendary MM. I treat all all my P-mounts that way now, and every one is much better.

Problem: the pins are a much smaller diameter, so the clips on your leads will be way too big. You have to crimp them much tighter.
the ends of the leads were pushing some of the pins back inside the headshell and pushing some of the tubes out of the p mount adapter.
Because you crimped them too much. It's easy to do. To avoid it, stick a wooden toothpick into the clip. It absorbs the force you're applying with the pliers, giving you much more control, and can't squash them flat.

Those leads now only fit P-carts. I have one set of leads for P-carts only, my other leads are for normal carts.

But it's a small sacrifice when it turns a lousy cartridge into a great one.
 
This doesn't address your question directly, but it's still very relevant if SQ is your goal.

All P-mount cartridges sound better, much better, if connected directly to the tonearm wiring. The tubes on the adapters (usually called "pins", but you're right: they're hollow tubes) degrade the sound significantly. I learned this by using a P-mount ADC, with adapter. It was lousy, a big disappointment. I knew I'd never use it again so I felt free to experiment. I removed all the tubes, and connected directly to the cart's own pins.

Total transformation! Lousy changed to great, it's now one of my best MMs. A fellow AK'er, one of our "cartridge gurus", compares it favorably to the Grace F9E, a legendary MM. I treat all all my P-mounts that way now, and every one is much better.

Problem: the pins are a much smaller diameter, so the clips on your leads will be way too big. You have to crimp them much tighter.Because you crimped them too much. It's easy to do. To avoid it, stick a wooden toothpick into the clip. It absorbs the force you're applying with the pliers, giving you much more control, and can't squash them flat.

Those leads now only fit P-carts. I have one set of leads for P-carts only, my other leads are for normal carts.

But it's a small sacrifice when it turns a lousy cartridge into a great one.

Ok, but with so little of the cart pins exposed though the adapter after the pins/tubes have been removed how do you get a good connection with the lead wires? Do you cram the end of the lead through the hole where the tube used to fit? I have maybe an eighth of an inch of exposed cartridge pins to work with.

Also if it wouldn't be too much trouble bimasta, could you post a pic of one of your P mount carts hooked up this way? I'd appreciate it.
 
Ok, but with so little of the cart pins exposed though the adapter after the pins/tubes have been removed how do you get a good connection with the lead wires?
A photo would require complete disassembly — this sketch should show what you need. If not, let me know and I'll do better. (Please don't judge my artistic skills by this! It was a quickie.)

IMG_2656.jpg

This is the rear of the adapter. After removing the 4 tubes, I removed the leftover plastic. It was awhile ago, but IIRC, I first broke it off with n'nose (it's thin plastic) then filed (or maybe carved) the rough edges smooth, creating a neat, open square. The entire end of the cart fits through, and all 4 pins extend their full length (1/4" or so). The clips slide onto the pins all the way, for a very good electrical contact and mechanical grip. The adapter now only holds the cart securely; it has no electrical function.

But Warning: be sure the clips aren't TOO tight — the P's pins are thinner and thus bend more easily. If your clips are a struggle, STOP — don't force it, don't try to use the pins as "wedges" to open them. Loosen the clips up slightly and try again (I use a knife-edge, or flat-blade jewelers screwdriver). It's not difficult, I got it right first time but I may have been lucky.

This sketch DOESN'T SHOW the pins (adding extra lines confuses the image, it's just a simple sketch with a crude pen). But the pins will be there, in the four corners of the square.

Any questions, please ask. And please tell us how it sounds!
 
I really like the AT8008 cartridge but the thought of trying to get leads on the p mount adapter again and possibly breaking another one has me considering just getting an AT95E or something and doing away with the adapter completely. Not sure which way to go here. Thanks to anyone who can help.

Due to the light weight tone arm, you should be able to have much better performance with a higher compliance cartridge.

Consider something like a Ortofon OM10 and above or an Audio Technica AT 530 EN.

The older Ortofon OM10 is available on Ebay for a reasonable price. :thumbsup:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ortofon-OM...151439?hash=item1cad27ce8f:g:4fMAAOSwBnZbD-qC
 
Due to the light weight tone arm, you should be able to have much better performance with a higher compliance cartridge.

Consider something like a Ortofon OM10 and above or an Audio Technica AT 530 EN.

The older Ortofon OM10 is available on Ebay for a reasonable price. :thumbsup:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ortofon-OM...151439?hash=item1cad27ce8f:g:4fMAAOSwBnZbD-qC

Thanks. The AT8008 is a low compliance cartridge then? For a lighter tone arm you want a higher compliance cartridge?
 
Thanks. The AT8008 is a low compliance cartridge then?

For a lighter tone arm you want a higher compliance cartridge?

The AT 95E you were considering is a low compliance cartridge not suitable for a light tone arm.

The Pmount Audio Technica AT 8008 is by nature a high compliance cartridge designed to be used on a a Pmount tone arm ( usually light weight too).

The addition of the Pmount adapter on to the light weight tone arm of the Pioneer PL-S70 make it a bit of contradiction and seemingly awkward set up. :idea:
 
The AT 95E you were considering is a low compliance cartridge not suitable for a light tone arm.

The Pmount Audio Technica AT 8008 is by nature a high compliance cartridge designed to be used on a a Pmount tone arm ( usually light weight too).

The addition of the Pmount adapter on to the light weight tone arm of the Pioneer PL-S70 make it a bit of contradiction and seemingly awkward set up. :idea:

Ok thanks, I was given this table years ago by a friend with this setup. I think I may try the Ortofon OM10 and see how that works out.
 
Back
Top Bottom