• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

hearing aids and system upgrades

fzapped

New Member
I have been wearing hearing aids a few years now. Recently I've been contemplating upgrading my pre amplifier and speakers but I'm thinking will I hear the difference? I believe the hearing aid is the limiting component in the signal chain to my ears.
 
Register to hide this ad
I would agree with that.

I’ve had them for two years now and even though I no longer think my tweeters are faulty I don’t listen to much music anymore.

The thrill is gone.
 
I wear hearing aids and still love to listen to my systems. I did a lot of research on the type of aids that would give me the best performance. The Starkey Halo 3 was the one that I chose.
They do a very good job on music, but only ok on crowded situations. I can still spot a quality speaker and I can tell differences in tubes with my preamp.
I know everyone’s hearing is different, and you may get different results with any aids you try.
All I know is that I am happy with the ones I have and I still enjoy trying new things,
I wish you all the best.
 
Four or five years ago I got a pair of Starkey hearing aids that worked extremely well for music. Last year my dog ate them. Apparently, that is not uncommon. Dogs like ear wax.:( I finally decided recently to replace them and ordered some OTC aids from Lexie Hearing. They came in yesterday and they are awful. Of course, they do say "Powered by Bose" -- maybe that should have been a red flag:) Anyhow, I am returning them and going to bite the bullet and pay the big bucks for some that work well for music. With the Starkeys, I felt I could hear the difference in different recordings and components, but, like the OP, I think they were the worst part of the chain. I'm sure there are other brands that also work well.
 
I just ordered a pair of Jabra 20s at Costco. They can talk to my iPhone like headphones, have profiles I can select, and are about $1600. I’ll pick them up feb 19 … I get 160 days to try them out.
 
I just ordered a pair of Jabra 20s at Costco. They can talk to my iPhone like headphones, have profiles I can select, and are about $1600. I’ll pick them up feb 19 … I get 160 days to try them out.
I have them. I really don't notice the profiles make much difference. But the HAs make a world of difference. Its amazing what they can do these days. I'm assuming the Costco Jabra is still a rebranded mid level Resound unit with the 3 receivers. Some folks struggle to get used to them. That was not the case for me. Good luck w them.
 
I recently got some higher end Widex units. They have extended my hearing to 10 khz and the difference is profound. They can sound quite natural, the biggest problem is figuring which of the several listening modes to use--my system sounds different depending on the mode used.
 
I had hearing test in '19. Some 8k loss. And tinnitus. I would think having them in your ears would be as difficult to get used to. As much as the sound presentation? What do you think?

I'm not a big fan of in ear speakers.
 
I have hearing loss due to firearms shooting in my youth without hearing protection.

I have had a good quality hearing aid for years and it has brought back my ability to hear things that I couldn’t before.

Is it like it was when I was young? I doubt it. But I am able now to enjoy my music and still identify a good system and most importantly enjoy it.

Aids have been an integral part of my system now.

I can’t imagine what it would be like without the technology that can compensate for our aging body parts.

Did I mention glasses?
 
BTW, my hearing aids do not just amplify the sound. It allows for the natural sound that I can still hear to come through and the aids just adds the frequencies that I have lost.

That is why a test is done to determine the frequencies that need to be addressed. I go in 4 times a year to have them checked and adjusted.
 
I am also a person who has hearing aid, 30 years o wearing them. It is extremely difficult for me to have a conversation with anyone, if I am not wearing mine.

I have frequently asked about hearing aids for music. They do no exist. Hearings, all of them, are designed for the frequencies used in vocal communication, or as it is commonly referred to as the speech banana. The top end is around 8khz. The bottom end, IIRC, is about 250hz I have tried extensively to find better. They simply are no made. So if you have hearing loss in the upper frequencies, you will get less distinction in sound quality based on you stere equipment.

I hope this helps as you consider your journey toward musical nervana,

edit: I did just look up "high frequency" hearing aids. Some claim to goes as high as 10khz. Just like speakers, the claims of 20-20k can be very misleading. 20khz might be 10-20db, The drop off would have a very steep slope after 6k. That is the upper end of its actual and practical ability.
 
Last edited:
Welcome to the AK fzapped. The answer might be: it depends on ... My HA's have helped listening enjoyment and perception at "normal" music levels. Loud music sounds better without HA's, in my case. As others have indicated: good HA's will improve the sound of a good system. I'd remove mine if they didn't enhance the sound.

Some aids don't have the proper processing or quality and will impede the music's sound quality. Widex and Starkey brands are often recommended. I use a good Phonak model but my doctor suggested that Widex would be an improvement if I want to replace them -- she probably isn't a Starkey vendor. That all could change at any time as manufacturers continue to upgrade their products.
 
Back
Top Bottom