• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Heathkit AS-10

Johncan

Record collector
I just borrowed a pair of Heathkit AS-10's from DanHagan. Does anyone know the specs on these? I am looking for the information on their efficiency. I know they are 16 ohms. I have hooked them to a pair of Heathkit W-4M's. Were the AS-10's made to be matched with tube amps?

Thanks!

John
 
Register to hide this ad
I was curious as well and found these links...
http://www.audioheritage.org/vbulletin/archive/index.php/t-22.html
http://www.classicspeakerpages.net/...topic&forum=9&topic_id=571&mesg_id=571&page=2

This second pair is the Heathkit Model #AS-10 which is their version of the acoustic suspension AR2 - mfg'd with Jensen Flexair 10" woofer and the dual tweeter array which I think was also Jensen (??)

If these are the ones your looking for info on...I would say that @ 16 ohms they should pair well with tube gear.



Bill
 
Thanks for the replies guys. I googled before I posted here and I saw the same web pages as you have posted. Nice to see that I did not miss anything. There are only two other posts on AK about them as well.

Yes, the ones I have look like the ones on classicspeakers page. Except the tweeter box is rotated 90 degrees; the tweeters are above each other, not next to each other.

The only reason I knew to attach them to the 16 ohm tap was one of the speakers still had part of the label on the back. However, that torn label does not indicated their efficiency which I am curious about.

Thanks!

John
 
Since they are relatives of the AR-2, I'd bet the efficiency is similar. While they may have been designed in the era of tubes, I'd bet they would sound pretty good (if not better) on solid state due to their relative inefficiency. IME the vintage AR-2/3/4 need at least 75 watts to get them out of the mud. My AR-4ax sounded amazing with my Kenwood 700m (~200wpc). YMMV.

I have a pair of the AR-2 knockoffs but I never did anything with them due to dead midranges.
 
I have a pair of these that I bought new in about 1971. They are fine sounding speakers, I power them with a tube amp. One post asked about the tweeters. In the manual it states the tweeters are intended to mount horizontal. If you lay the speaker down in a bookshelf the tweeter box should be turned to be horizontal. I have replaced the tweeters with horns back in the '70s as I blew out the tweeters in both units. The horn conversion I did was using a Radio Shack horn. I built a new plywood plate for it and screwed it in place. I have the manual someplace but can't find it right now.
Dave Conrad
 
Back
Top Bottom