• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Heathkit AS-27 triaxials cabinet switcharoo.

topgun

Active Member
Hello to you all.
A couple of years ago I came across a pair of vintage Heathkit speaker cabinets that were loaded with a nice pair of AS-27 triaxials. For those who are not aware, they are basically Jensen Sigma SG-300 wearing a different color on the frame and a Heathkit badge. Anyway, I have been running them with my Dynaco ST-70/PAS3x combo since I got them and have been pleased with them. My only issue is the the cabinets although they present well, were really not assembled properly by the original owner and they also didn’t appeal to me that much.
I had decided back then that even though the speakers themselves likely needed recapping, that I would wait until I came across some nicer cabinets to install them into. Well , as if I don’t have enough projects at this stage. I came across a pair of really nice vintage cabinets that are exactly what I was thinking would fit my needs. They were in good condition and came loaded with a pair of Jensen H-223 16ohm coaxials with a 1962 date code. I do believe that the speakers alone were worth the price I paid for both cabinets and speakers.
So the goal was to switch out the coaxials from the new cabinets clean them up recap the Heathkit triaxials, install some sound deadening as these cabinets had none and install the Heathkit speakers in. I installed Dayton metalized film caps, and recycled denim sound deadening and some modern speaker jacks on the rear of the cabinets. Once I was ready I hooked them up to my tube system and I was pleasantly surprised by how much better they looked and sounded.
Now I have a situation with the Jensen coaxials. I really don’t need them but, I’m thinking about recapping them also, throw them in the old cabinets and give them a listen. Outside of testing the voice coils, I have no idea what they sound like. So for now I drop some pictures here and I’ll be back after I finish them and then what they sound like. Whatever happens, ultimately I probably going to pass them on. We’ll see.
These are the Heathkit traxials and their cabinets.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3929.jpeg
    IMG_3929.jpeg
    393.1 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3923.jpeg
    IMG_3923.jpeg
    377.9 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3928.jpeg
    IMG_3928.jpeg
    247.1 KB · Views: 18
Register to hide this ad
These are the Jensen coaxials and ther cabinets.
I have no idea what the previous owner was thinking of when he installed that car speaker in there.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4890.jpeg
    IMG_4890.jpeg
    233.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_4881.jpeg
    IMG_4881.jpeg
    286 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_4882.jpeg
    IMG_4882.jpeg
    244.7 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4885.jpeg
    IMG_4885.jpeg
    304.7 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4884.jpeg
    IMG_4884.jpeg
    205.4 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_4887.jpeg
    IMG_4887.jpeg
    259.9 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_4883.jpeg
    IMG_4883.jpeg
    332.8 KB · Views: 32
Here are the results. After recapping, installing deadner and fabricating a pair of new covers for the cabinets where I would guess a horn driver would be installed. The cleaned up really well and like I stated before they sound really nice. Much more and better bass. I think the down firing bass port helped there also.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4917.jpeg
    IMG_4917.jpeg
    171.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_4918.jpeg
    IMG_4918.jpeg
    278.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4921.jpeg
    IMG_4921.jpeg
    218.8 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4929.jpeg
    IMG_4929.jpeg
    300.1 KB · Views: 22
FWIW, I tried Jensen sg 223’s and Heath as-27’s in the same Heath cabs. IMO, the as-27’s sound much better in EV Aristocrat cabinets.
Well , Today I finished working on the Jensen’s. I recapped them and installed them into the Heathkit cabinets. I gotta say that they really do sound terrific. Really nice bass, and equally good kids and highs. I ran them on my ST-70/PAS3x for about a half hour and switched back to the Heathkits triaxials. For me, the AS-27’s clearly sounded better. But I also really liked the Jensen’s too. That is a problem for me as my intention with all this was to flip cabinets and sell the Jensen’s. Now I’m making up excuses to myself to not get rid of them as I’m pretty sure I can not only get my money back but also make a little extra. That the problem with this hobby isn’t it. Even my wife said I should keep them. So they stay for now.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3929.jpeg
    IMG_3929.jpeg
    393.1 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4946.jpeg
    IMG_4946.jpeg
    276.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4881.jpeg
    IMG_4881.jpeg
    286 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4890.jpeg
    IMG_4890.jpeg
    233.6 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4938.jpeg
    IMG_4938.jpeg
    298.1 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4939.jpeg
    IMG_4939.jpeg
    307.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_4947.jpeg
    IMG_4947.jpeg
    209.9 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4948.jpeg
    IMG_4948.jpeg
    212.5 KB · Views: 6
Back
Top Bottom