• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Hello all SpeakerLab Fans!

Behind the avatar's ears you see the new SL3's. :D

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • Face-namedcrop75JPG.jpg
    Face-namedcrop75JPG.jpg
    77.1 KB · Views: 438
Hi SL lovers,

I just can't help but post to this thread since I've been a Speakerlab fan myself. I built a set of S6's in college (a long time ago) and still have the components. I drove to Seattle from another part of Washington to buy the components. I still use the 12" woofers in some tlines for subs. The garage holds a set of S30's that have new foams and still some testing to do.

Having fun near Seattle,
John
 
However the eight speaker stand holes drilled through the bottoms need attention. They go right through--sorta defeats the purpose of enclosed A.S. cabs. :bash:

So to listen I put them on a hard flat surface, hoping to minimize the air loss. After a little Zep and Radar Love at window-rattling levels :D:music::D I noticed a curious phenomenon -- spooky moving speakers! :bat: :bat:

Seems air holes act like an Air Hockey table!
: :yippy:

Zep and Golden Earring at window rattling volume? Sounds like a good match for those speakers! Moving speakers, doesn't that upset your kitty?

Behind the avatar's ears you see the new SL3's. :D

Look like good cabinets on those 3's - probably better shape than mine. Your avatar looks like it's ready to defend your turf and gear. :thmbsp:

Those very speakers are sitting in my house as of 20 minutes ago. :D
[/IMG]

:ntwrthy::thmbsp::guitar::drool::ntwrthy:
 
When you said "those very speakers" I had to go to the other room and look. :sigh:

Seems you have thier twins--unless some odd time/space warp ocurred...

When I first heard them I didn't really like them. My mistake, they were set up and driven not to my preference...but they are worth the extra effort.

Enjoy them! Very different design from your ported Imperial 9's, but perhaps they share the same goal...

Because of the Vert mid horn's off-axis response, these are best given a huge room--or toe-in and tilted stands with a large room.
 
Enjoy them! Very different design from your ported Imperial 9's, but perhaps they share the same goal...

Going from memory about the 7's the Imperials are smother and softer natured. Nor neutral and less top and bottom. I heard these in very different setting and on different front end gear so we will see. I remember the 7's being the ultimate party speaker, big bold and in your face. The Imperials are not really like that but very versatile.
 
The feline I'm worried about is the one sticking its nose into that Altec horn...



Yes one reason I have so many speakers is that I listen to jazz and classical mostly but a bit of everything else; the KEF's can't do Trance, but they shine on celtic vocals.

The SL3's can easily handle world beat and the blues is awsome on the 3's and 7's. Perhaps the designers fed them DSOTM during testing? :D


I built a set of S6's in college (a long time ago) and still have the components.

Says a lot for the quality level that they're still working. :yes:
 
Some claim the Klipsch KLH 30 is the best ever rock speaker* ...but my RF-7 set tops those playing Santana. They will be the last ported speakers to remain in the collection.

These Speakerlab7's are even better in the bass**--can even do credible amp-killing ELP synth bass.

Thought about sticking my 511B horns with them since I have issues with the veritcal mids; it's all fun.

...Look like good cabinets on those 3's - probably better shape than mine. Your avatar looks like it's ready to defend your turf and gear.

-- oh yeah my 3's cabs will have to have the drill holes fixed before I can say that. And the avatar defends his turf and property...but he thinks he owns me, and transitively all my gear too. :pawprint::pawprint:

(*for mid-fi dollars)
(**but to be fair the RF-7's were supposed to go with a sub.)
 
I have pair of Speakerlabs with nice oak veneer cabinets. Three way, with the 8" woofer in the rear (also ported rear). The tweater is traditional, but it is below the mid. About 14" x 12" x 36". No model label anywhere.

Running a Carver amp, so plenty of power for them. Great sound, great with horn (Crusaders albums) bass is super strong, but could be tighter. Decent imaging though not up with my Magnaplanars.

Anyone have any idea what they are?
 
DAS-5 most likely. Only recently learned about this DAS lineup.

I have the DAS-6--it's a surprisingly modern tower design (think terms like 'image' 'soundstage' yadda yadda). The cabinets are sturdy, well braced, heavy. Nice rounded inset around the port and rear woofer!

Very lightweight poly cones and very heavy magnets.

Rear-ported needs expert placement away from the walls but it will never be as smooth as my SL-3's or SL-7's which are Acoustic Suspension. Also the ported bass tightens up with an amp with higher Damping Factor (YMMV/IMHO sorry I'm not really a fan of the Carver amps I've had & heard).
 
Last edited:
For the past several months I have had two pairs of SL 4s in the rotation. One pair in the original factory vinyl cabinets that are in PERFECT condition, and the other in some owner-built tower enclosures that have a lower internal volume. I recapped the crossovers in the custom version. Both are quite nice with very authoritative bass as everybody knows and what I happen to prefer in the midrange department. My jury is still out on the EV tweeters. I really like the Audax DT-110 dome tweeters that SL used in the 3s, 4s, and the early version of the .1s and I may try a substitution with an extra pair that I have kicking around. I have been running these with 100 to 255 wpc (Hafler) amps and they like the power.

One of my summer projects is to build a bit of a hybrid. I have some extra W1208R and W1008R woofers (as well as a pair of the early W1200R woofers that preceded the W1208R) to build the bass unit of the 7s. I may combine them with the sealed back midrange and dome tweeter used in the 3s and 4s. Just for fun.
 
I thought the 4's had a small horn loaded tweeter? I've got a pair of 3's, and while I like them, have always meant to upgrade the Tweets.
 
You are correct - the 4s use the EV T35/SL HT3500 horn tweeter. What I was referring to was the M608R midrange that was common to both speakers.
 
I have the 12" W1200B for my next project, sealed enclosure 3.2 ft cubic, with a horn compresion driver I haven't the T/S parameter, I find this data


120020specs.jpg


120820specs.jpg


bnbswbgkkgrhqmhc8etsbyu.jpg


welcome suggestions and information on the W1200B,thanks
 
I didn't know the .1's had that nice tweeter too. I thought of making a 12 ft^3 enclosure with 2 W1208R's to see if double the volume of my 7's makes any difference. Or some sort of driver line-array like the big Infinities. Being me, I would go with non-rectilinear cabs to reduce internal reflections, brace them with 2x4s, coat the insides with pounds of clay...

Nice to know that even if I don't get around to it for a while* the butyl surrounds will still be good!

Yes I'm quite happy with the bass output of my 255wpc P-500 Haefler! Wonder if the Peavey CS-800 I just picked up can match it.

*in geologic time
 
I didn't know the .1's had that nice tweeter too.

I have two generations of .1s and both have the DT-110 dome tweeter. The early pair from 1978 has the M608R midrange with the paper cone and the newer version (date unknown - a friend gave them to me) has the W525P-P poly cone midrange. I'm going to bring the old .1s to Kelso on the 10th, just for fun. I love these little guys.

I keep going back and forth in my thinking about what to do with the W1208R, W1200R, and the W1008RS woofers. I have run them on several different programs just to check and the enclosures are so darn big. I like them in the smaller enclosures I have been using, but I am really curious about how they would sound in a bigger one.:scratch2:
 

Attachments

  • Rebuild.jpg
    Rebuild.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 52
For the past several months I have had two pairs of SL 4s in the rotation. One pair in the original factory vinyl cabinets that are in PERFECT condition, and the other in some owner-built tower enclosures that have a lower internal volume. I recapped the crossovers in the custom version. Both are quite nice with very authoritative bass as everybody knows and what I happen to prefer in the midrange department.

I use to have two pairs of 4s... Stack them like a lot of Advent owners use to do, use the L-pads to adjust the mids and only run 1 tweeter, and you have a helluva speaker presence in your face :)
 
Back
Top Bottom