Welcome everyone!
This is actually my first post on this forum. I couldn't find the "welcome" category, so I'm writing here. I wanted to say a few words about myself and by the way tell you about a patent about defective hinges in Kenwood turntables.
I speak english on average and use google translate so sorry for any mistakes. I hope it's not a big problem.
My name is Przemyslaw. I am 37 years old. I live in Poland. Turntables and vintage hi-fi equipment are one of my passions.
Once, a few years ago, as a hobby, I was repairing amplifiers and turntables for myself and my friends.
Then I opened a one-man business and I am restoring and repairing turntables, mainly Japanese ones.
I am not writing to you to find customers for my turntables here, but to share my experiences. I am an electronics technician, so maybe I can help someone with some mechanical or electronic problems. I also need help sometimes, because sometimes I have a problem that is hard for me to deal with. So I hope I can find some help here
So again, welcome all!
Over the years, I've come up with a few things. For a year or two, one guy has been helping me. He's such an old buddy.
Today I wanted to show you what we came up with about hinges for kenwood turntables.
Many of you probably know this problem. The hinges for Kenwood KD-990, KD-7010, KD-1100, KD-9010 and others turntables have a manufacturing defect. All these turntables have the same dust cover hinges.The main element of these hinges is a plastic element. There is a spring inside and it often "breaks through" this plastic.
Just like in this photo:
We decided to make a plastic replica of the original part. Its design is special. The back section is reinforced. The threads for the dust cover screws are brass, indestructible
. There were many prototypes. First without brass threads. The first two photos show one of several prototypes, and the last two photos show the finished part. Here are the photos:
However, we did not end with the plastic element.
We decided to make a replica of the entire, full hinge. It was necessary to design and make a new spring that would be sufficiently durable. The spring we designed has no flaw. There is no sharp point that could pierce the plastic element. See the photos:
The next step was to make the metal part that supports the entire hinge and dust cover.
It was designed by us and laser cut by an external company. There were many prototypes. First in plain steel, then in stainless steel with corrections, etc. On the left is one of the prototypes and on the right is the finished part.
The sheet metal also had to be bent properly. We have also designed a device for this purpose. It was cut out of steel blocks using the plasma method in an external company. After that, I can properly form the plates on the press. I have a 12 ton hand press. I use it for other purposes as well, someday I'll show you. In the photo from left to right you can see how I form the sheet metal.
And at the end is the finished hinge:
In fact, it's not a finished hinge yet. The metal sheet will be painted and some adjustments still need to be made.
I showed you this because I wanted to show that anything can be done. But also how much work and effort it takes to make such a part. That's dozens of hours of designing, looking for other companies with different machines, etc. I'm also curious about your opinion on this. Making such hinges for a single turntable is completely unprofitable. I just put them on turntables that I refurbish and sell to other people.
I would also like to show you other things that I do. Someday I will describe disassembling potentiometers, switches and cleaning them.
There are many different things I would like to show. Maybe I'll make some videos on youtube.
I would also like to show you the turntables that I refurbish.
We paint wooden enclosures with a friend. It's a complicated operation.
I have a request for a moderator/admin.
If I posted this in the wrong section, please move it. If I wrote something wrong, I apologize. Please tell me about it, I'll fix it.
I hope that the fact that I trade turntables and refurbish them is not an obstacle for me to be active on the forum. If I'm wrong, please tell me, I won't write anymore.
I hope you like what I showed you
Thanks!
Przemyslaw
This is actually my first post on this forum. I couldn't find the "welcome" category, so I'm writing here. I wanted to say a few words about myself and by the way tell you about a patent about defective hinges in Kenwood turntables.
I speak english on average and use google translate so sorry for any mistakes. I hope it's not a big problem.
My name is Przemyslaw. I am 37 years old. I live in Poland. Turntables and vintage hi-fi equipment are one of my passions.
Once, a few years ago, as a hobby, I was repairing amplifiers and turntables for myself and my friends.
Then I opened a one-man business and I am restoring and repairing turntables, mainly Japanese ones.
I am not writing to you to find customers for my turntables here, but to share my experiences. I am an electronics technician, so maybe I can help someone with some mechanical or electronic problems. I also need help sometimes, because sometimes I have a problem that is hard for me to deal with. So I hope I can find some help here
So again, welcome all!
Over the years, I've come up with a few things. For a year or two, one guy has been helping me. He's such an old buddy.
Today I wanted to show you what we came up with about hinges for kenwood turntables.
Many of you probably know this problem. The hinges for Kenwood KD-990, KD-7010, KD-1100, KD-9010 and others turntables have a manufacturing defect. All these turntables have the same dust cover hinges.The main element of these hinges is a plastic element. There is a spring inside and it often "breaks through" this plastic.
Just like in this photo:
We decided to make a plastic replica of the original part. Its design is special. The back section is reinforced. The threads for the dust cover screws are brass, indestructible
However, we did not end with the plastic element.
We decided to make a replica of the entire, full hinge. It was necessary to design and make a new spring that would be sufficiently durable. The spring we designed has no flaw. There is no sharp point that could pierce the plastic element. See the photos:
The next step was to make the metal part that supports the entire hinge and dust cover.
It was designed by us and laser cut by an external company. There were many prototypes. First in plain steel, then in stainless steel with corrections, etc. On the left is one of the prototypes and on the right is the finished part.
The sheet metal also had to be bent properly. We have also designed a device for this purpose. It was cut out of steel blocks using the plasma method in an external company. After that, I can properly form the plates on the press. I have a 12 ton hand press. I use it for other purposes as well, someday I'll show you. In the photo from left to right you can see how I form the sheet metal.
And at the end is the finished hinge:
In fact, it's not a finished hinge yet. The metal sheet will be painted and some adjustments still need to be made.
I showed you this because I wanted to show that anything can be done. But also how much work and effort it takes to make such a part. That's dozens of hours of designing, looking for other companies with different machines, etc. I'm also curious about your opinion on this. Making such hinges for a single turntable is completely unprofitable. I just put them on turntables that I refurbish and sell to other people.
I would also like to show you other things that I do. Someday I will describe disassembling potentiometers, switches and cleaning them.
There are many different things I would like to show. Maybe I'll make some videos on youtube.
I would also like to show you the turntables that I refurbish.
We paint wooden enclosures with a friend. It's a complicated operation.
I have a request for a moderator/admin.
If I posted this in the wrong section, please move it. If I wrote something wrong, I apologize. Please tell me about it, I'll fix it.
I hope that the fact that I trade turntables and refurbish them is not an obstacle for me to be active on the forum. If I'm wrong, please tell me, I won't write anymore.
I hope you like what I showed you
Thanks!
Przemyslaw
