Sergimm
Active Member
Hi everybody,
I’ve been a bit obsessed with audio hardware since a couple of months ago, when I found a pristine abandoned Marantz 1050 on the curb next to a neighborhood garbage container. I remembered my dad used to say Marantz was a good brand back in the day, so I took it home, plugged my headphones and some music, turned it on (I was young and stupid back then
and…just a hiss came out. Disappointment. But then I turned up the volume to the max and I could hear the song I was playing very faintly, far away in the distance. At that point I knew that not all hope was lost.
I studied electronics in university, as part of my CS degree. I am not half bad at soldering (I have worked on many IoT projects), so after researching the amp online I inevitably ended up in audiokarma…where I read posts for days (and wrote a couple of noob posts) while I was waiting for caps to arrive from Digikey. The combination of bringing old amps back to life and the mix between engineering and black magic to make old amps sound great hooked me up. I still don’t have much idea of what I’m doing though.
By now, I have recapped the 1050 (not turned it back on yet, waiting for a couple of caps I overlooked when ordering), and I’m still thirsty for knowledge about how to make it even better. In the meantime, I bought a Luxman L-3 online for a good price, which I love (and works!). So that will be my next project.
Both amps are relatively rare, so it’s quite a challenge to find help with them. Fortunately they are both quite approachable (and I have the service manuals for them!), although the Marantz is infinitely easier to tinker with.
Anyway, happy to be in the community! Looking forward to learn more about this world
I’ve been a bit obsessed with audio hardware since a couple of months ago, when I found a pristine abandoned Marantz 1050 on the curb next to a neighborhood garbage container. I remembered my dad used to say Marantz was a good brand back in the day, so I took it home, plugged my headphones and some music, turned it on (I was young and stupid back then
I studied electronics in university, as part of my CS degree. I am not half bad at soldering (I have worked on many IoT projects), so after researching the amp online I inevitably ended up in audiokarma…where I read posts for days (and wrote a couple of noob posts) while I was waiting for caps to arrive from Digikey. The combination of bringing old amps back to life and the mix between engineering and black magic to make old amps sound great hooked me up. I still don’t have much idea of what I’m doing though.
By now, I have recapped the 1050 (not turned it back on yet, waiting for a couple of caps I overlooked when ordering), and I’m still thirsty for knowledge about how to make it even better. In the meantime, I bought a Luxman L-3 online for a good price, which I love (and works!). So that will be my next project.
Both amps are relatively rare, so it’s quite a challenge to find help with them. Fortunately they are both quite approachable (and I have the service manuals for them!), although the Marantz is infinitely easier to tinker with.
Anyway, happy to be in the community! Looking forward to learn more about this world
