sabocat
Well-Known Member
I've been lurking about on this forum for some time, mainly to get info. regarding folks' reactions to various and sundry audio products that have been of interest to me.
I recently upgraded my system, and had a hell of time switching out speakers until I was satisfied. I had a pair of Vandersteen 2's for 18 years and the dry rot got to them. I still need to get them repaired, but I replaced them with a pair of Dali Helicon 400's. Originally I tried some Thiel CS 1.6 speakers, but they brought out the worst in my system, and my cd's. I told the dealer I needed some New Testament speakers, something more forgiving than these Old Testament Thiels. The Helicons are honest but they do err on the warm side, which is what I prefer.
I run a Quad 606 amp, (quite the chameleon), and I recently replaced the Quad 34 preamp with a CJ PV-15. What a difference. I never have understood why Quad did not make more decent pre-amps. Well, the 34 is ok, but....
Also have a Cayin 23 CD player, which is quite nice, but in retrospect probably would have purchased one of the Cambridge Audio players. Not much difference really, just a touch.
I have an old Revolver Rebal TT which is waiting for a new brother, the VPI Scout. I'm curious what cart folks would recommend for my system. I've got the Grado gold on the rebel and it sounds good.
Cheers,
Sabocat
I recently upgraded my system, and had a hell of time switching out speakers until I was satisfied. I had a pair of Vandersteen 2's for 18 years and the dry rot got to them. I still need to get them repaired, but I replaced them with a pair of Dali Helicon 400's. Originally I tried some Thiel CS 1.6 speakers, but they brought out the worst in my system, and my cd's. I told the dealer I needed some New Testament speakers, something more forgiving than these Old Testament Thiels. The Helicons are honest but they do err on the warm side, which is what I prefer.
I run a Quad 606 amp, (quite the chameleon), and I recently replaced the Quad 34 preamp with a CJ PV-15. What a difference. I never have understood why Quad did not make more decent pre-amps. Well, the 34 is ok, but....
Also have a Cayin 23 CD player, which is quite nice, but in retrospect probably would have purchased one of the Cambridge Audio players. Not much difference really, just a touch.
I have an old Revolver Rebal TT which is waiting for a new brother, the VPI Scout. I'm curious what cart folks would recommend for my system. I've got the Grado gold on the rebel and it sounds good.
Cheers,
Sabocat
