• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Hello from Oklahoma, first Post.

okies

New Member
Hey folks, good to be here, seems like a friendly, smart and helpful bunch on this board. I've been out of audio for about 10 years and am back with a passion.

I have a Denon AVR 2700 pushing Pinnacles, 2 front, Gold Reference, center is a Gold and 2, recently purchased, PN8 3 way surrounds, so Im pretty good with my speakers. Im wondering how much I could improve the sound if I added a dedicated amp/amps.

Any suggestions on how to add a dedicated amp/amps to this 5 Chanel setup? How would you make the connections? Would I need a 5 channel amp? Suggestions?

Thanks
 
Register to hide this ad
Welcome.

To answer your question... The AVR 2700 only has analog outputs for Subwoofer, L+R and center (None for the two surround channels). So, you could get a 3 channel amplifier for the L+R+center and use the surround amps in the 2700.

The 2700 is 85 wpc. So you would really need something in the 150-200wpc range to make a difference.

Additionally, after a little research, the AVR 2700 only does Dolby digital and not DTS. so it is kind of dated.

You would probably be better served by a new AV receiver that does HDMI switching and The new uncompressed audio codecs (DTS Master HD and Dolby True HD) than by spending $$ on a three channel 200wpc amp.
 
OK, thanks NOHDjunkie and thanks to everyone for the warm welcome. I really like the 5 channel stereo setting on the 2700 and listen to way more music than watch video. I was hoping to get a little more authority and clarity from the 2700. Any suggestions on a 3 chanal amp?
 
Hello from Norman! Where in Oklahoma are you, okies?

From the little I've read on Pinnacle speakers I have gathered they tend to be "bright" sounding. Some prefer them with a warmer sounding amp, so you may want to give one a try. What companies now days make a 3 channel amp that's a little on the warm side? McIntosh comes to mind, but I don't know okies' budget. Honestly, I would get a two channel amp first for the mains since you listen in stereo often. Then later I would look into a three channel amp for the center and surrounds, but before that you would need a pre/processor with outputs for all of the channels. Also, a better preamp/surround processor would likely open up the soundstage and imaging more in addition to allowing you to utilize the more modern surround codecs. I think that would help you in the "clarity" you are seeking.
 
Last edited:
Three channel amps..... Off the top of my head I would say... Rotel, Parasound, Emotiva...

However, I really think a new AVR would be money better spent. Most AVR's have a 5 channel stereo function.
 
Back
Top Bottom