• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Help!! Altec Lansing info???

Silverfacfan

New Member
Hello all, new to the forum and a novice in the vintage home audio field, but have been in the car electronics industry for 30 years.
Anyway, I came upon these speakers and was hoping for some input on the model etc. The horns are Altec Lansing 802d's and there is only some serial #'s on the woofer, no sticker or anything on the cabinets. I know that Altec Lansing made some speakers similar to these but I am having trouble finding any info on the model etc. Any info about anything would be great.
 

Attachments

  • 20200402_214845.jpg
    20200402_214845.jpg
    107.7 KB · Views: 123
Register to hide this ad
Cabinets look home made to me.

Welcome to AK!
That had crossed my mind. I got the pair for free and was looking to pass them onto someone that could get some use from them. I know the horns could have some value and possibly the woofers. I saved them from the garbage so I guess any profit is positive. I suppose I could post pics of the info on the woofers to see if anyone can help identify them.
 
The woofers might not be worth much, but keep the horns and drivers if you decide to get rid of them.
Check out the completed auctions of Altec 802D on eBay.
They are a great starting point for a DIY horn speaker project, if you have any interest in that
 
Hello all, new to the forum and a novice in the vintage home audio field, but have been in the car electronics industry for 30 years.
Anyway, I came upon these speakers and was hoping for some input on the model etc. The horns are Altec Lansing 802d's and there is only some serial #'s on the woofer, no sticker or anything on the cabinets. I know that Altec Lansing made some speakers similar to these but I am having trouble finding any info on the model etc. Any info about anything would be great.
Is it one cabinet or a pair? They DO look Homemade -
Don't know where you are - different values in different markets, but ebay is probably the bet place to sell them.
Include the model number of the drivers when you post there -
there are a lot of Altec parts in the wild and some not as good for home audio as others.
 
index.php


Since @bowtie427ss didn't mention it, I will :confused:
The 802D is a compression driver.
It looks to me (???) like a 511B horn.
It's not just semantic, and -- believe it or not -- I'm not just being fussy :p
Just want to point out that there are two different components involved in the treble section of this loudspeaker.
Actually, maybe three -- if there's an Altec (or other) packaged crossover in there.

Do "we" know anything about the woofer? One is curious...

Altec 511B

DSC_7271 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

DSC_7275 (2) by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

Altec 802D

other 802D 1 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

PS It is a cool looking cabinet :)
 
Hmmm... :idea: I am sure a collector of such would love to get their hands on this model.. be it homemade or clone! And a prior poster was right about the drivers, often they are worth much more to someone who needs them for a restoration where they fill the need of OEM.

The cabinets are quite interesting and would certainly make a nice addition to a setting where it completes the motif :thumbsup:
 
Neat cabinet, but I'd think the construction of the lower cabinet should have a smooth surface in the sound path instead of those slats.
 
Kind of like an Arts & Crafts style interpritation of VOTT cabinets. Unique and I like unique so would make them a restoration project. Bet you'd never see another pair.
 
I do have a PAIR of these. I will take some additional photos and post this evening. The cabinets are built quite well, and though they could be custom built cabinets part of me thinks they could almost be factory prototypes ( maybe crazy thinking) but I just dont see a home builder going to this type of work. The ridges instead of the smoothness on the woofer dispersion did throw a flag for me though.
I was going to take the driver's out of the cabinets to clean them up and try to get some more info. Is that a no-no??
I do know that the gentleman that had these was an audiophile from the 60s-70s and these were left behind in the estate. ( I saved them from being firewood)
As I am new to this forum and would like to flip them quickly is there a sales forum on here, or should I just clean them up and list them on Ebay?
Thanks for all the help and I will post more detailed pic this evening. I am located in central Kentucky for whoever had asked in an earlier reply. Thanks again
 
Mod Note: Yes, there is a Buyer/Sellers forum on AudioKarma.
If have something to sell, you must become a Subscriber and post the ad in Bartertown.
There is no buying/Selling in the public forums here.
 
Back
Top Bottom