• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Help! Altec Lansing "University Sound"?

Altec owned University back in like '58-'59, I believe. Weren't they both owned by that Ling company at one point?

Someday I'll have a pair of Universities, probably Medallion XII's, although they made some righteous-looking speakers back in the late '50's as well. BIG cabs. That's what I figured the OP was talking about.

LTV/Ling owned both of them through at least the end of the 1960s.
 
According to my 1966 Lafayette catalog, the crossover is built in, hidden under that side cover. There is a "brilliance" control which I do believe must be connected to terminals under that same cover. It a 12" 3 way, woofer with a mechanical midrange & super tweeter. Retail @ 64.80. approximately 12 lbs shipping weight.


After the cluster F*** that doomed Altec in the late 80s under the EV (ElectroVoice) "guidance" much the same happend with a lot of University Sound products, but I can't say to what extent, having in the last few years bought a lavalier microphone typicaly thought of being an EV product which was labeled University Sound.


Some serious web searching might answer more questions.
 
Last edited:
FWIW, University made a "W" magnet, a cast Alnico piece which had only 2 gaps at the front of the magnet structure. Everyone else had gaps at the front and rear . Not to be confused with the vc gap. Not saying it's in this speaker.

Look it up in the Abraham Cohen books.
 
The 312s in your photo, Naptown Rob, would be labelled University Sound, not Altec Lansing University Sound. Mine are anyhow.
 
Back
Top Bottom