• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Help, Anyone have a suggestion for relief from Tinnitus?

Audioslave55

New Member
I would really like to believe that I didn't become stricken with Tinnitus from listening to quality music reproduced with vintage 70's era stereo equipment at loud volumes but it may be so. Do any of my fellow AKer's suffer from this horrible affliction? If you do (and I'm sure there are hundreds that do) have you had any luck with any treatment? For those not familiar with the problem, it's basically hissing or ringing in the ears that in my case resembles white noise, constantly. I've seen a neurologist and taken plenty of prescribed drugs but nothing has worked so far and it's going on three years. Believe me, in my opinion there is nothing more scary then living for quality music and stereo equipment my whole life only to have something go wrong with my hearing. I'm 60 years old and have read most of what's on web about it and it appears to be a very deep medical problem experienced by 10 to 15% of all adults and there is no one cure. To an amateur audiophile like myself, nothing could be more depressing when it comes to my love of music.

I would greatly appreciate any and all suggestions on this topic. I'm done with the medications for now and hope someone has a remedy that worked for them. I also hope that for those of you that haven't experienced it, that you never do because I can assure you that you will look at your prized system differently than ever before and probably enjoy it allot less. Short of deafness, nothing could be more saddening when it comes to listening to your lifelong collection of music than Tinnitus!

With great respect and hope for suggestions,
Ed
 
Register to hide this ad
Gotta be a dozen threads on this. There isn't much you can do (fellow sufferer, here) except keep your blood pressure low, your fans circulating nice "white" noise, and stay away from aspirin and decongestants.

I feel ya. It sucks.
 
Like to know how that drug supposedly works before taking it.

I have several theories, no actually they are suppositions (for those real scientists among us) but none of them are really holding any water. They don't even know if it is in the cochlea or the brain, or even the nerve between the two last I checked.

Now, at this stage of life (55) I just turn it up.

But really, I will not take a drug witho9ut knowing exactly how it works and all side effects. you know these people who up and just prescribe drugs are the ones causing these mass shootings. Really, columbine and all that, and EVERY other mass shooting you have heard about, the shooters were on prescription (psych) drugs. You might THINK this is different but it might not be. They have found psychological effects from plenty of drugs that were never meant to be psych drugs, in fact I am sure one of them DID become a psych drug, and it was for something totally else.

You might want to say "Screw him, he drinks and smokes stuff" but the fact is I know EXACTLY what that does to me. EXACTLY. this other stuff, I just do not trust them. All they care about is money.
 
mine has been gone for a while now .. i find relaxing and sleep helps ..
when i have it i have to grit my teeth to make it go away short term ..
maybe i just sort of willed it to go away i dunno . i get a sort of humming tinnitus and very annoying .
 
Maybe it'd help if you take the time to teach your tinnitus the words ... <G>

I can attest to the BP having an effect on it. Mine was whistling away when my BP was up around 240/180 or thereabouts. I understand that's kinda high? Anyway, back down to normal courtesy of modern chemistry, and it's not as bad now. Anytime I decide to pay attention, I can hear it, but fortunately, my attention span ...

... er ...

... what were we talkin' bout?
 
I have it most of the time and have to chalk it up to the human condition.

You get used to actually and I can tune it out most of time. Sometimes it is worse than other times but it does not stop me from enjoying music and you can always adjust the volume accordingly.
 
man, I'm really sorry to hear you are suffering from this. I have only had it in short bursts, a couple days maybe at a time. Hopefully someone here will share a treatment that worked for them. Take care and best of luck!
 
i am starting to believe its blood pressure derived .. mechanically it makes sense to me . more pressure might induce swelling and cause the noise . . my relaxing and sleeping etc could be bringing the pressure down and relieving the symptoms
 
I have had the ringing for at least 15 years. Like someone said, you get used to it.

I took the lipoflavinoid for a year or more. It did lesson the ringing, but made my joints sore so I quit. The ringing is still less overall. Surprisingly the times that my ears are silent is now the most annoying. Been used to the ringing for too long.
 
I have had the ringing for at least 15 years. Like someone said, you get used to it.


sadly, yes. What I find helps me more than anything else is just avoiding high noise levels. I don't listen to music loud, I wear ear plugs when using power tools or cutting my grass, I don't drive around with the windows down in the car, etc. Yeah its a bit boring but I'd rather fish out a pair of ear plugs than listen to my ears scream for hours when I'm trying to sleep. Having some background noise helps a lot too. Doesn't take much, just a fan running does a lot to help drown it out.
 
A weird little trick that provides some relief (unfortunately only temporary). Make sure you do this by yourself or any onlookers will call the paddy wagon. Anyway, stick your little fingers in your ears so it makes a tight fit with your ear canal. Then tap the back of your head with both index and middle fingers so it makes a loud drumming sound inside your head. Do this for about 30 seconds. Relief!
 
A weird little trick that provides some relief (unfortunately only temporary). Make sure you do this by yourself or any onlookers will call the paddy wagon. Anyway, stick your little fingers in your ears so it makes a tight fit with your ear canal. Then tap the back of your head with both index and middle fingers so it makes a loud drumming sound inside your head. Do this for about 30 seconds. Relief!
It actually did seem to work . . . but for a very short time. Interesting
 
lmao, skizo.

Like to know how that drug supposedly works before taking it.

I have several theories, no actually they are suppositions (for those real scientists among us) but none of them are really holding any water. They don't even know if it is in the cochlea or the brain, or even the nerve between the two last I checked.

Now, at this stage of life (55) I just turn it up.

But really, I will not take a drug witho9ut knowing exactly how it works and all side effects. you know these people who up and just prescribe drugs are the ones causing these mass shootings. Really, columbine and all that, and EVERY other mass shooting you have heard about, the shooters were on prescription (psych) drugs. You might THINK this is different but it might not be. They have found psychological effects from plenty of drugs that were never meant to be psych drugs, in fact I am sure one of them DID become a psych drug, and it was for something totally else.

You might want to say "Screw him, he drinks and smokes stuff" but the fact is I know EXACTLY what that does to me. EXACTLY. this other stuff, I just do not trust them. All they care about is money.

While I entirely and completely agree, that's a bit of another argument. I'm always available for a pm about such matters. Peace.

As for tinnitus, my own personal theory is that the small cilia in your ear canal (what is actually fluttering to stimulate hearing in the first place) become brittle, and then die. Ever notice a high pitched squealing for a few seconds, and then it quits? I've read that is the death squeal of another cilia. Makes sense. Think of lightbulbs. They burn VERY bright sometimes right before blowing.

Just my theory, no science involved.

There's probably a great reason I'm not a doctor, lol.
 
I have listened to loud music most of my life (played drums in bands) and also drove loud cars and bikes, and in fact, really tortured my eyes but never had a problem - until I got a pair of Grado earphones and because they sounded so clean I kept turning them up and the next morning woke up with ringing in my ears that has been with me for over almost 20 years now.
 
Just went to the local theater to see The Martian ... tried that trick a couple times, and yes it worked ... but several people moved away ...

(good movie by the way)
 
Back
Top Bottom