• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Help for a first timer with AR3s

asingularrat

New Member
Hello all, first time poster here so sorry if this is out of place. I have come into possession of a pair of AR3s and am replacing the pots (which weren’t salvageable) with those “CLS” ones you can buy on eBay. Upon rewiring and doing a low level volume test I was unable to get sound to play(tested without the woofer in if that means anything). I’m attaching a photo of my wiring, would somebody be able to help me out? I know it’s a bit of a mess but I’m happy to clarify more.

Thanks so much.
 

Attachments

  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    248.8 KB · Views: 40
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    251.3 KB · Views: 40
Register to hide this ad
Hello all, first time poster here so sorry if this is out of place. I have come into possession of a pair of AR3s and am replacing the pots (which weren’t salvageable) with those “CLS” ones you can buy on eBay. Upon rewiring and doing a low level volume test I was unable to get sound to play(tested without the woofer in if that means anything). I’m attaching a photo of my wiring, would somebody be able to help me out? I know it’s a bit of a mess but I’m happy to clarify more.

Thanks so much.
It would probably benefit to know that before the replacement the woofer functioned. Also I’ve already swapped the 1 and 2 terminals around in hopes it was a simple wiring mistake but that yielded no results.
 
Sorry to second guess but are you sure that your crimp stuff is all working? I mean like you didn't mistakenly crimp down on insulation instead of copper ... ??
 
If you have a DVM meter, you should ohm out your wiring. You could even check for AC going to the tweeter. I see they still have the original capacitor in a box. Maybe those caps need to be replaced? If all you have hooked up is the tweeters and those old caps are bad, that would do it.
 
Yup. At the very least you need to make sure you have continuity through all those crimp connections. And that capacitor "block" needs to be either checked or just replaced. You didn't mention whether you have a meter and, if so, whether it can measure capacitance. If you don't, get one.
 
Looks like your connections are incorrect. 2to 2 need to connect. 1,2,3 vs original 1,2,B(3) position's are different.IMG_4846.jpeg

IMG_4847.jpeg
Crossover connections.
 
Here’s a link to one of my 3 restos. Lots of good info that will hopefully help you in some way.
Cheers, Glenn
 
Back
Top Bottom