• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Help ID these Polk Monitor Speakers...

EricMB

Active Member
Got these from a friend years ago and still cannot find the stats on these old Polks. Anyone know about this model? Currently powering it with SS Onkyo receiver and it's playing pretty good. But the Bass is lacking a bit...Wondering if that is a trait for these Polks?
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0472.jpg
    IMG_0472.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_0474.jpg
    IMG_0474.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 40
Register to hide this ad
Monitor 10's!

Hi Eric.
Not sure what tweeter that is. SL variant, not a Peerless.

Rome
 
Not sure what tweeter that is. SL variant, not a Peerless

Thanks for the quick reply!! Helps a bunch...the tweeter just says "Silver Coil Dome" on it. I assumed it was the stock tweeter...

Found out the large woofer is a passive speaker, no wonder the bass lacks!
 
Those Monitors are very nice & the bass is pretty decent with power.

Check to make sure your magnets have not shifted. Also, the passive radiator should move freely when you push in on it along with the mids.

I have a pair of 7's that are very nice sounding with modest power.

Rome
 
Last edited:
Great treble on those but I found the bass lacking too. I considered them at the same time I got my Philips 477's. Just not enough bass in the Polks, even though I thought the treble was exactly what I wanted.

Shelly_D
 
Put them on some stands a foot or so off the floor and see if the bass improves.
Placement matters.
 
Put them on some stands a foot or so off the floor and see if the bass improves.
Placement matters.

+1 on getting them off the floor.
I have never had the problem of to little bass on these speakers. A lot of folks, including me, really like the passive radiator. To get the most from these you have to make sure that the cabinet is sealed and the 2 6.5" drivers are both traveling freely. A common problem is that the magnets shift and pinch the voice coil. If you gently push in on the passive you should see both 6.5" drivers pop out just a bit. This will determine if either driver is frozen and how well the cabs are sealed. I believe that the tweeter is the SL 2000 and were found on some of the the monitor 10's. Good clean power might also help with the bass. I noticed that your Onkyo TX-NR709 puts out 110wpc in the 2 channel mode so that should be enough. Not sure what the specs are in various theater and surround modes though.
 
Last edited:
P1020559.jpg


Not a big fan of the Silver Coil tweeter; the Peerless silk domes that preceded them were (are) very sweet, and there are currently available upgrade/replacement tweeters from Polk (IIRC). FWIW, I find the 10s a bit heavy sounding relative to the 7s, but both models were an excellent value in terms of sound quality per $ spent when new and remain decent values today on the used market. That said, in this day and age, a pair of used ads speakers from the same general era (late 1970s/early 1980s) will give you (IMO) better performance for a similar investment.

earlypolkfamilyportrait.jpg


As to placement, find or build a pair of the original Polkstands! :-) There are plans on the Polk forum at http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/sho...-Series-Stands-Reference&highlight=polkstands. Place the speakers,on stands, a couple of feet away from side and back walls, have them about 8 to 10 feet apart and toe them in a bit towards the listening position - and your efforts will be well rewarded.

GMmusicPolk10primosystem.jpg


PS some of us like to grow our own ;-)

DSC_5417.jpg
 
Last edited:
Thanks everyone for the great feedback and advice!

I have pushed on the passive woofer on both and each mid range moves freely, so thankfully not frozen. Would you still recommend taking the speakers out and visually inspecting them for a shifted magnet? I assume you would have to reseal the speakers. Any suggestions??

Love the idea on the stands as a possible fix, Easy and cheap!! I'll raise them up with books 1st and listen for the difference...
 
I have pushed on the passive woofer on both and each mid range moves freely, so thankfully not frozen. Would you still recommend taking the speakers out and visually inspecting them for a shifted magnet? I assume you would have to reseal the speakers. Any suggestions??

No. If they move freely and sound fine, no need to take them out unless you want to JB Weld or epoxy to prevent magnet shift in the future.
+1 on stands.
 
Stands should be at least 7" tall . Makes a huge diff in the bass, plus it gets the tweets to the correct leval as well. Also consider dynamating the drivers to tighten up the bass.
 
Back
Top Bottom