• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Help identify old speakers

newguycanada

New Member
I picked these up at a garage sale because they looked old and you never know what you're going to find. Does anybody have any idea what brand they are as I cannot see any kind of markings whatsoever. Any help is appreciated thank you they measure about 31 in high about 14 in deep and 2ft wide . I've never seen anywhere the mid-range or tweeters are metal backing and not openfoam 20190427_153426.jpg
 

Attachments

  • 20190427_153253.jpg
    20190427_153253.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 179
  • 20190427_153259.jpg
    20190427_153259.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 166
  • 20190427_153305.jpg
    20190427_153305.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 164
  • 20190427_153246.jpg
    20190427_153246.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 164
Register to hide this ad
Someone will look up the manufacturer code... but the woofers look a lot like some Ampex that I have.
 
Are they real wood veneer or vinyl? Construction makes me think they were made by a manufacturer of furniture rather than speakers.
 
From the looks of the drivers and the very extensive crossover it seems to be a piece of junk and very not likely any quality brand name.
Leon
 
Someone will look up the manufacturer code... but the woofers look a lot like some Ampex that I have.
36 shows up as 'Bel-tronics' of Addison, IL. Not much additional info that I could find. There's a company called 'Beltronics' that makes radar detectors, they seem to be completely unrelated.
 
36 shows up as 'Bel-tronics' of Addison, IL. Not much additional info that I could find. There's a company called 'Beltronics' that makes radar detectors, they seem to be completely unrelated.
Packard bell?
Bell labs?

From the looks of the drivers and the very extensive crossover it seems to be a piece of junk and very not likely any quality brand name.
Leon

I think we knew they weren’t Altecs or Tannoy.
They might sound decent and be worth short money.
 
Well, both drivers have 73B stamped on them (I brightened the pic of the tweeter and flipped it over) followed by 321 or 323. The latter appear to be model #s. 73 does not show up on my EIA chart and 73B means nothing (EIA codes don't have letters in them).

So I got nuthin'. The tweeter looks a lot like something that would show up in either a Motorola or Magnavox console. I think I have some of those drivers sitting around.

Honestly if the cabinet is in nice shape and heavy, it may be the best part of the deal. Replace those two caps if you really want to find out what they are supposed to sound like.
 
Well, both drivers have 73B stamped on them (I brightened the pic of the tweeter and flipped it over) followed by 321 or 323. The latter appear to be model #s. 73 does not show up on my EIA chart and 73B means nothing (EIA codes don't have letters in them).

So I got nuthin'. The tweeter looks a lot like something that would show up in either a Motorola or Magnavox console. I think I have some of those drivers sitting around.

Honestly if the cabinet is in nice shape and heavy, it may be the best part of the deal. Replace those two caps if you really want to find out what they are supposed to sound like.
thank you for your informed reply. the impression I'm getting there not probably worth much but they were heavy cabinets and well-built which made me believe they could be a good quality but the fact so far no one can identify him would verify they're not high quality. May just use the cabinets and repurpose them for another set of good speakers
 
thank you for your informed reply. the impression I'm getting there not probably worth much but they were heavy cabinets and well-built which made me believe they could be a good quality but the fact so far no one can identify him would verify they're not high quality. May just use the cabinets and repurpose them for another set of good speakers

If they were mine, I would give them a listen before deciding they're not of good quality. The mid driver and tweeter look to be AlNiCo, which are often (not always) desirable. I agree with @toxcrusadr about possibly replacing the capacitors on the crossovers -- you would be out about $10 and a little time. If nothing else, they look very nice.
 
If you're going to reuse the cabinets, don't just thrown in a random woofer. Either download WinISD and model the box, or post the box dimensions on the Parts Express forum; they have experts there who will tell you what the best drivers are to use. Also, the walls look pretty thin; I daresay a couple of braces are in order.
 
Now that's a name I'm not familiar with, but Google says there are Marslands that look like that, so there you go.

Marsland of course is not in the standard EIA code list.
 
Now that's a name I'm not familiar with, but Google says there are Marslands that look like that, so there you go.

Marsland of course is not in the standard EIA code list.
Marsland was the Canadian Jensen. Their stuff ended up in everything. I think they even may have ended up with some of their tooling, the radially slitted baskets are fairly unique for both makes.
 
They look like Ampex Console extension speakers.....for the man who had it all !!! Roll top doors to keep Dennis the menace from kicking in the drivers.
 
Back
Top Bottom