• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Help Identifying a strange "GE" 12AU7A/ECC82

jgriffter

New Member
Hi,

Hoping to get some help identifying a tube from the experts here!

It's a GE 12AU7A marked "Made in West Germany" and also appears to have the stenciled tube markings you see on military tubes. On the bottom there is an etched "12" in the glass. Also the gray plates have one hole on the right and two on the left. Four copper rods, twin mica, O getter. GE lettering is "LD 188".

I thought it might be Siemens but can't ID it for sure. Hoping to get some insights. I have other GE 12AU7s that are Mullards and Mazdas so I know they sourced from other manufacturers.

Thank you!
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4343.JPG
    IMG_4343.JPG
    184.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_4347.JPG
    IMG_4347.JPG
    245.9 KB · Views: 91
  • IMG_4346.JPG
    IMG_4346.JPG
    226.9 KB · Views: 43
Register to hide this ad
img_4347-jpg.3693568

This is a GE (USA) made 12AU7A. :thumbsup:
 
^ I initially thought that too however and not be argumentative just curious is all why would GE have "Made in West Germany" labeled on it?
 
^ I initially thought that too however and not be argumentative just curious is all why would GE have "Made in West Germany" labeled on it?
Many tubes got relabeled "Made in..." a country they were not made in.

Mullard gz34 fake with russian style saucer shaped getter ring.jpg
Russian-made "Made in England," 5AR4.

Chinese Mullard-labeled GZ34.jpg
Chinese-made "British made" GZ34.
 
Thanks for the insights. I was thinking that it might be a GE but the plate structure is different than what I am used to seeing with GE (this one has 2 slots one side, one slot other side). The "made in West Germany" printing threw me. Also I know that some GE's marked "made in West (ern) Germany) can be Siemens or Telefunken, though this one does not have the Tele symbol on the base. I attached a picture of the plate structure. Different looking GE 12AU7 then the others I have which are one hole plates each side and wider middle plate size.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_4348.JPG
    IMG_4348.JPG
    208 KB · Views: 6
Thanks for the insights. I was thinking that it might be a GE but the plate structure is different than what I am used to seeing with GE (this one has 2 slots one side, one slot other side). The "made in West Germany" printing threw me. Also I know that some GE's marked "made in West (ern) Germany) can be Siemens or Telefunken, though this one does not have the Tele symbol on the base. I attached a picture of the plate structure. Different looking GE 12AU7 then the others I have which are one hole plates each side and wider middle plate size.
The acid-etched dots and font style gave it away. I have never seen that on any other tubes.

GE acid etched dots (2).jpg

GE acid etched dots (1).jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom