• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Help identifying Bozak speakers

Barabhas

New Member
Hello all, I recently ventured into the vintage audio world with a McIntosh 6200 and now a Scott 299C. I have acquired a pair of Bozak speakers and they sound great. The previous owner stated they are the 302a model, but when I look for information or compare photos, the 302a don't look like mine. I opened them up and the tweeter, woofer and cross over are Bozak and look in good condition. Please take a look at the photos and let me know if you recognize these. The enclosures are not in great condition and I'm also thinking of venturing into DIY speakers and build new enclosures for the internals, thanks in advance.
 

Attachments

  • 1030181600a.jpg
    1030181600a.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 123
  • s-l1600 (12).jpg
    s-l1600 (12).jpg
    98.4 KB · Views: 128
  • s-l1600 (13).jpg
    s-l1600 (13).jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 122
  • s-l1600 (14).jpg
    s-l1600 (14).jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 121
  • s-l1600 (15).jpg
    s-l1600 (15).jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 119
  • s-l1600 (16).jpg
    s-l1600 (16).jpg
    46 KB · Views: 117
Register to hide this ad
I think upon farther investigation you will find the internals to be in common with the 302A . If so you need bigger cabinets.
The woofer most likely has two tweeters on the front. And they may roll off very early, depending on the year.
 
They are a B-302 load in a custom cabinet. They look cool. Id sand the black off and see whats underneath..
 
They are a B-302 load in a custom cabinet. They look cool. Id sand the black off and see whats underneath..
Thanks, I was thinking the same about the enclosure. I plan to sand down or remove the current finish and remove the casters and put actual legs that match the age and give them a different type of finish.
 
Yup, 302a guts in an unusual cabinet. Usually the mids are centered, the mirror offset is interesting. The date code on the mids indicates March 1960. I imagine that the other drivers are of similar vintage. the turquoise labelling is an early style of branding decoration on those drivers. The tweeters are probably the 200x paper cone units with the bright aluminum center caps.
 
Yup, 302a guts in an unusual cabinet. Usually the mids are centered, the mirror offset is interesting. The date code on the mids indicates March 1960. I imagine that the other drivers are of similar vintage. the turquoise labelling is an early style of branding decoration on those drivers. The tweeters are probably the 200x paper cone units with the bright aluminum center caps.
Thanks for that info Sandstrom!
 
Thanks, I was thinking the same about the enclosure. I plan to sand down or remove the current finish and remove the casters and put actual legs that match the age and give them a different type of finish.

Search on one of the many threads concerning Bozaks here on AK. I had very good results with mine, in enclosures that look roughly the same size as yours, by rebuilding the crossovers to Tobin 104t specs (mostly), changing the woofer/mid crossover frequency, and most importantly building a subenclosure to prevent woofer backwaves from affecting the midrange. I didn't move the tweeters, but my understanding is that removing the tweeters and moving them higher (such as in a separate enclosure on top of what you've got) helps a lot as well. In your config they are very low.

The primary thing you need to determine is which tweets and mids you have, paper cone or aluminum.

Look for anything from DrBiggles or Retrovert, those guys have spent a lot of time tearing into these systems and writing up their results here on AK.

Have fun!

bs
 
Believe the Tobin mod is only recommended for the later versions with the Aluminum 'Y' Tweeters but don't quote me on that.

I've had both versions and unlike some, I thought the earlier versions sounded quite nice (stock) in their own right.
 
It looks like they are 302's but the labels suggest your mid and tweeters have paper cones rather than the more advanced aluminum cones. Google Bozak 302a and you will find all sorts of stuff. You can join one of the owners clubs for a mountain of info.
 
I will definitely go the DIY way since the current boxes don't meet my wife's taste. Thank you all for sharing your knowledge and suggestions, much appreciated, have safe and happy holidays!
 
A friend of mine had tall slim cabinets made with close to 7 cu ft. She removed the tweeters and placed them at ear height with the mid range under neath and the woofer placed close to the floor. The sound is really nice sounding more like her larger Symphonies. She had four of them made for one of her Quad systems that she pushes with very nicely restored Samsui, 9090 I think, but don't quote me.
 
Last edited:
Thank you all for your suggestions, after much deliberation aided by my wife's refusal to place the speakers in the house due to their size :rolleyes: I found a buyer and the speakers went to a new home. Best regards.
 
Well, sorry to hear that. But now you know that Bozaks are highly regarded and when you have your own space (man cave) you know what to hunt!
 
Thank you all for your suggestions, after much deliberation aided by my wife's refusal to place the speakers in the house due to their size :rolleyes: I found a buyer and the speakers went to a new home. Best regards.
My wife would know better than say that. She would know it wouldn't be my speakers looking for a new home.
 
Back
Top Bottom