• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

help locating a new empire 598 shielded cable assembly

easycraig

Super Member
hello... recently purchased a beautiful empire 598iii turntable. Its stock, so I really do not want to modify it... but it has a very finicky shielded cable (5 prong that plugs into the 980 tonearm). Sound will drop in and out if you move the cable.... would obviously love to find a NOS one, but I realize that is probably never going to happen. (currently , there is one ebay, but it looks to be in much worse condition then mine) Do we know of anyone who rebuilds the shielded cable assembly, or makes new compatible ones? Any direction/links/suggestions greatly appreciated. I posted a couple pictures for reference..... with hopes some of you have bundles of these stuffed in a drawer somewhere! lol ! Thank you, Craig.





 
Register to hide this ad
You are funny. The assembly is also a then popular microphone connector used on home based CBs and some ham grear. Might track one down that way. Only other thing would be to cut away the covering on yours and save the jack and use it to make a new cable. I think that is about the only other option.

Some years ago someone had fabricated new assemblies using aftermarket parts, not original Empire jack. I had thought a bought making a new cable for my 598 at one time but, did not want to hack ip mine. I started researching slide on connectors for each pin and found they were available in all kinds of sizes so likely it could be done but I got sick before making on. There is no reason why it would not be possible. There is nothing special a out the pin dimensions and no requirement it need be an assembly like the original to make a replacement.
 
i will give take5 a shot.... thank you..... any other suggestions greatly appreciated. thanks again, ec
 
-bump on this thread for those who might have missed it first time through. I have spoken with Gene at Take5 and he too thinks it is a good idea to find a second cable to cut versus cutting up my only one. Still looking for the cable assembly or the 5 prong plug connector. I will keep an eye on ebay also..... thanks, ec
 
- I have not tried cleaning the contacts, but I am pretty sure the problem lies within the cable because if I move the cable at all while a record is playing, the sound drops in and out on both channels.
 
I recently sold an Empire tonearm and sent with it a universal connector that I know could be configured to fit the arm. I was going to re-build the table it came from but decided instead to part it out as it had other serious issues.

I could check to see if my local electronics shop still has some of these if you like.

Universal connector by Buhduh, on Flickr
 
Back
Top Bottom