• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Help me build a hi-fi setup

For a beast of an integrated weighing in at 105 WPC with negligible distortion there is the SU-V8 by Technics... Came out in 1980...

Screenshot at 2020-10-31 14-05-18.png
 
OP here. Thanks. I was looking at that line of gear (I think I was looking at the A-S801.) I'm sure I would be happy with it, though it has way more power than I need.



If I don't go the integrated route, what preamps would you recommend? I'm really ignorant with regard to choosing a preamp. Are there any used items that are worth looking for?




I'm running an Adcom GTP-400 that I bought refurbished, and I like the sound, and it's got a good MM stage for phono, There is an AK thread on preamps that should help you get going
https://audiokarma.org/forums/index.php?threads/best-vintage-preamp.532153/

My attitude is that the best power amp can't improve on the signal it's been given, it can only make it louder
 
Last edited:
My mistake! It is the Audioengine B1 $189. Check Audioengine.com.
It is a great Bluetooth receiver
 
Being fortunate enough to have a reputable shop in your home town, it may serve not only as a venue to audition components, especially speakers, but also purchase. The shop in the area in which I live, while not convenient to me, is glad to use a similar source as a front end to get a more accurate idea of the sonic profile of speakers available.

Establishing a relationship with such a resource can be golden.

Lots of generous responses in this thread offering insight and encouragement. Nice.
 
Thanks again for all the recommendations. I know it's been a while since I posted, but a listing has come up locally that I want opinions on. It's a Mac4100 with wood cabinet in what appears to be very nice condition, a B&O turntable (not sure which model,) and a pair of McIntosh speakers. All for $1000. I'm not big on the B&O tt, but I really like those receivers and I'm curious about the speakers. What does everyone think?
 
Thanks again for all the recommendations. I know it's been a while since I posted, but a listing has come up locally that I want opinions on. It's a Mac4100 with wood cabinet in what appears to be very nice condition, a B&O turntable (not sure which model,) and a pair of McIntosh speakers. All for $1000. I'm not big on the B&O tt, but I really like those receivers and I'm curious about the speakers. What does everyone think?

McIntosh made some good speakers that utilize Philips tweeters as well. Do you know which model?
 
Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what model as the seller didn't say. They look a bit like the XR16.
 

Attachments

  • Screen Shot 2020-11-26 at 8.05.08 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-11-26 at 8.05.08 AM.png
    824.3 KB · Views: 5
XR-16 are fairly expensive and do use that Philips tweeter as well. Sounds like a decent deal if everything is in good order...
 
Back
Top Bottom