guitarjunkie
Active Member
This is my stable, I'm looking to get from five amps to two; OK, three.
My approach- CD (very consumer-level) and vinyl sources, also some home studio work (Tascam 564, AT4040x2); don't get much above 95 db most of the time I would guess. JBL L200T3 and Braun 710A are main listeners; also rebuilt ADS L750/II into L690 towers.
1) Marantz 1200B. Needs service and who cares. Low power OK, high power is distorted. These are supposed to be great. Very Likely a keeper.
2) Phase Linear DRS900. The polarizing piece. Hums, 120 Hz?, 180 Hz? Obviously needs service. Many cautionary and dismissive statements here; not the "real" Phase Linear, blah blah blah. I'd like to keep, it's pretty, but worried about hardiness of the piece and potential for damage of speakers, for instance. Ideas?
3) Onkyo Integra A8017. My go-to amp. Love it, tough to imagine anything better, but I'm sure some would say there is a lot to learn on this point.
4) JVC A-G90. Solid amp. One output 3db down due I think to using with a speaker with intermittent wiring, causing amp damage? Great except for no stereo reversal option.
5) Proton 520. OK, doesn't seem as clear as the A8017 or the JVC.
Prolly has to go.
AND... Phase Linear P3800 (well-regarded preamp) that I could use with pro amps (QSC, Crown, Yamaha, whoever's around these days) or the DRS900.
Make me smart....
Mike
My approach- CD (very consumer-level) and vinyl sources, also some home studio work (Tascam 564, AT4040x2); don't get much above 95 db most of the time I would guess. JBL L200T3 and Braun 710A are main listeners; also rebuilt ADS L750/II into L690 towers.
1) Marantz 1200B. Needs service and who cares. Low power OK, high power is distorted. These are supposed to be great. Very Likely a keeper.
2) Phase Linear DRS900. The polarizing piece. Hums, 120 Hz?, 180 Hz? Obviously needs service. Many cautionary and dismissive statements here; not the "real" Phase Linear, blah blah blah. I'd like to keep, it's pretty, but worried about hardiness of the piece and potential for damage of speakers, for instance. Ideas?
3) Onkyo Integra A8017. My go-to amp. Love it, tough to imagine anything better, but I'm sure some would say there is a lot to learn on this point.
4) JVC A-G90. Solid amp. One output 3db down due I think to using with a speaker with intermittent wiring, causing amp damage? Great except for no stereo reversal option.
5) Proton 520. OK, doesn't seem as clear as the A8017 or the JVC.
Prolly has to go.
AND... Phase Linear P3800 (well-regarded preamp) that I could use with pro amps (QSC, Crown, Yamaha, whoever's around these days) or the DRS900.
Make me smart....
Mike