• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Help me decide please?

Xenomorph

Active Member
Hi, I hope you've all enjoyed your Christmas.
I have a dilemma, I can't decide which speakers to buy, I can't test them as they're on eBay and I have no experience of them. So, I was hoping for some advice from your good selves...thanks in advance.

1st, Morel MLP 202 MKIIA
2nd, Acoustic Research AR17
3rd, Rega Kyte
4th, Jamo D590
 

Attachments

  • IMG_20231227_140132.jpg
    IMG_20231227_140132.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20231227_140118.jpg
    IMG_20231227_140118.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20231227_140103.jpg
    IMG_20231227_140103.jpg
    242.1 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_20231227_140046.jpg
    IMG_20231227_140046.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 20
Register to hide this ad
I have AR18’s and no experience with the rest. They are rather different designs. Reading reviews might help. Meantime, I would suggest, if you go with eBay for speakers, make sure the seller has quite a few transactions and a 100% positive rating. Good luck. You might need it.
 
You are comparing apples to oranges.

Two of your choices are bookshelf sizes, there is one traditional "monkey coffin" and a floor standing tower.......

Let's start with the basics:
What kind of music do you listen to ?

How do you listen(quiet/critical or cranked up and rockin' ?

What do you plan to power them with ?

What kind of room do you listen in ?

Avoid eBay for speakers, especially larger ones as the shipping can severely skew the value proposition. Unless the seller has stellar feedback and will accommodate returns; buyer beware !!
 
You are comparing apples to oranges.

Two of your choices are bookshelf sizes, there is one traditional "monkey coffin" and a floor standing tower.......

Let's start with the basics:
What kind of music do you listen to ?

How do you listen(quiet/critical or cranked up and rockin' ?

What do you plan to power them with ?

What kind of room do you listen in ?

Avoid eBay for speakers, especially larger ones as the shipping can severely skew the value proposition. Unless the seller has stellar feedback and will accommodate returns; buyer beware !!
Hi,
I listen to jazz, rock, blues, soul and folk music.

I prefer quiet when listening to most music except rock when my music is shared with my neighbour (they have teenage kids that like to share their music with me)

My main amp is a Yamaha RN602 but also use an Akai R30 and a Technics SUV6X.

My room is 5m x 4m solid brick walls.

My usual speakers are JBL L110s but I'm currently recapping and refurbishing the cabinets.

I buy off eBay quite a lot, I'm in Far North Queensland, Australia and there's barely anything for sale locally except the Jamo D590.
 
Back
Top Bottom