• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Help me find a CD player, Sony ES, Denon, ???

Those are good deals. The cheapest good quality new one I've found is an Onkyo DX-C390 for about $180.
 
I've had to replace several of my vintage pieces recently, one being my Technics SL-P2 CD player that I bought in late 1984. I picked up a Marantz CD6004 and an Emotiva ERC-3 to compare. Both the Marantz and Emotiva sound great.

At this point, the Emotiva seems more neutral, clean, and natural. I don't need the USB port that the Marantz has, so I'm currently leaning towards the Emotiva.
 
On the issue of older players and the problem of dying lasers, my thought is that if you can find a vintage player that works fine, and that is very inexpensive, consider it a consumable. When it dies, throw it away (recycle) and get another.

I obtained my Luxman D 105U for next to nothing. It works, sounds good, and when it dies, no great loss.

Finally, many new(er) DVD and BluRay players do not have analogue audio out jacks, so that probably eliminates the cheaper ones.
 
Moby 2 best buy sells the sony cdp-ce500 for 113 bucks,it sounds good has a usb port,but i think my old 1994 onkyo dx-710 sounds better to me.i don't know why it would sound better than a brand new one,but to my ears it does.i bought the 710 brand new and paid well over 200 for it
 
You should have no trouble getting lots of cd players, so called good ones on down. Five bucks will probably do.

People are dumping them and cds for those great mp3 cell phones, ipods or streaming music by the droves.

Cds are the new VCR recorders and tapes of a few years ago, just everywhere. DVDs are being dumped too.

Charlie
 
You get more failures with multi changers i.e 5x etc denon cartridge types or sony etc.. usually bad switches with loading etc. You could gamble on a single front loader with cleaning.

I agree with getting a newer model and a single cd drawer. Ya got a warranty in case some gorilla at the loading dock just dropped it. Other thing is a good player will play backwards cd's too. Little more expensive new are the older blue ray players that play both cd and dvd for really cheap.

(Usually a crap load of 5x changers here in Raleigh nobody wants on clagslist hoping for a sucker along with tube TV's and non functioning vcr's. come on down!)
 
I finally scored a Sony cdp-c67ES in great shape for $8 at the local thrift.. They do turn up time to time. The sound from this unit is very smooth and nice to listen to, and the build quality is great. As with any cdp from 1991, it may die anytime but I'm not out much cash.. I would miss the 'sound' it has for sure. Sometimes I cannot believe I have $60 into my tape deck and $8 into my cdp. Nakamichi tape decks sure don't come cheap anymore :)
 
I'm looking for a better CD player to hook up to my Onkyo A-10, I currently have a Sony non ES 5 disc changer. I was looking at something like a Sony CDP-X33ES, 302 ES, possibly a C8ESD changer. I don't want to spend a ton, so a 5 or 7 series ES is probably out, but what about Denon? Any suggestions on model #'s? I'm open to other brands also, thanks.
My experience has taught me to at least get one that has a open/close tray.
Slotted mechanisms scare me when the disk gets stuck and you
must surgically remove it. Check out the new Denon CD players.
Easy to use and the built in DAC sounds great. Price: around $400
 
I'm looking for a better CD player to hook up to my Onkyo A-10, I currently have a Sony non ES 5 disc changer. I was looking at something like a Sony CDP-X33ES, 302 ES, possibly a C8ESD changer. I don't want to spend a ton, so a 5 or 7 series ES is probably out, but what about Denon? Any suggestions on model #'s? I'm open to other brands also, thanks.
I found a Denon DVD 2900 on FBM for $50 that sold new for $999 in 2003. I really like its audio playback and it appears to be a well built unit. To find a deal online you have to be diligent in looking for what you want. Good deals go fast and I set my search parameter to items most recently listed. This way I have a much better chance of seeing the good deals before they get snatched up. A few weeks ago, I snagged a Denon X3500H AVR for $110 in pristine condition. Not a scratch on it. I ran across it about an hour after it was listed and was at the guy's house within the following hour picking it up. My point is that there are screaming deals to be had but it takes diligence, patience and getting to the seller ASAP.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom