• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Help me improve my system!

AuralAndroid

New Member
Good morning aker's. and go broncos. okay so I finally have a set up I feel like I can keep for a while. Currently running a Marantz 2270 on JBL L26 with a technics 1200 mk5 or my computer as the main source. The sound is great. However, between songs and when the music is subtle or quiet, the background noise on the 2270 is very noticeable. With headphones coming from my 2270 its basically not listenable with the staticky background, even in aux w/ digital sources. I listen to a lot of ambient downtempo, jazz, and other chill music, so having a black background from which the music comes from is very important to me. That being said, should I not be using vintage solid state receivers? do they all have such a high background noise? I had my 2270 serviced by dr dans electronics here in co, but somehow feel it should be performing better.

so... what can I do to have that silent, all detail full sound? would getting a separate pre amp help or should I look into getting maybe a modern integrated? Like i said love the sound of the 2270 when rockin out, cant hear the hiss, but when its chill or quiet its def there. any suggestions? thanks! :beerchug:
 
Register to hide this ad
You shouldn't be hearing any noise. Your receiver was serviced by a tech who used a service manual and made all the adjustments? He should have heard the noise and known that ain't right.

You can buy/ download a service manual and make the repair/adjustments yourself if you have the tools and equipment, or send/take it to someone who knows these old receivers. Even sending it out for a rebuild and waiting months is a worthwhile investment in time and money.

The 2270 is a popular/collectable model. Someone here might tell you exactly which component on which board is causing the problem, or it might be as simple as cleaning the volume potentiometer.

It's not working properly and it's time for a new tech if he sent it back to you in this condition.

Since I went to USC during the Pete Carroll era and my son is currently a student (probably the only student at the school with an old Marantz 1030 and a turntable in his dormitory), I'll be cheering for the Seahawks.
 
Back
Top Bottom