• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Help me pick a Yamaha Integrated Amp (A-S1000/2000/1100)

I'm hoping it works out with the next one...keep us posted when your new one is up and running!:thumbsup:

Thanks, the replacement was shipped out today. Now just hoping its the one to keep!

Btw, I was lucky (or not, will soon know) to get the last A-S2000 refurbished unit that they had in inventory. Else would've been stuck until they either got more or I switched my choice to something else (the 1100 did cross my mind but $800 more is bit too much for now).
 
Hi everyone,

I am strongly considering getting my first integrated amplifier and Yamaha is very much within my sights.

Just to give some background, I built my first stereo system in 2013 with B&W 683 fronts powered by Emotiva XPA-200 power amp through a Yamaha RXZ-V663 AVR. Music is played through Micromega MyDac and movies are played through Pioneer Elite universal player. The system is used about 50/50 for music and movies.

I think I now ready to add an integrated amplifier. That way I can play music directly without going through the AVR and use HT bypass input for movies. After researching for sometime online, I am really taken a liking for the new Yamaha hifi range - looks great and most owners have only good things to say. I don't think I have any options to audition the Yamaha amps locally.

So which one should I go with? I was initially thinking of the A-S1000 (don't use balanced inputs) but currently it's available for same price new as A-S2000 refurbished. Is A-S2000 a better purchase then? Are either of these a good fit for B&W? I haven't read anything online that suggests the other way.

I think the new 1100/2100 series looks even better (meters!) and looks like Yamaha has also upped the game with sonics. However, they are currently bit out of budget for me and so I'll have to wait bit longer for better deals (new or refurbished). Worth waiting for A-S1100 versus getting A-S2000 now?

While the new amp will currently power the B&W 683, it will also have to power my next speaker upgrade in 2017 (hoping to jump into $2500 category).

Thanks for reading - appreciate any feedback/suggestions/opinions!
i
I hope someone can help me. I am replacing a vintage Yamaha amp (CA610 purchased in 1978), that has served me well for a long, long time. It was 1 notch below the top of their line at the time. Now I am trying to decide between a Yamaha A-S1100 and A-S2100. I realize there are some additional features for the A-S2100 but it is significantly more expensive and I am not sure the additional cost is justified. I expect this to be the last amp I have to buy.
My questions: 1) will either/both be compatible with my Cambridge Soundworks MC 300 speakers (2 sets) and 10S BassCube? 2) I also power a 3rd set of old bookshelf speakers in an adjacent room off channel Q with a splitter box, and have a 4th set of speakers (outdoors) which I only power when the interior speakers are off; will this configuration still work with either? 3) are the significant price differences for factory refurbishes for these 2 models worth the risk? The OP's experience is troubling, and I want to hear about other experiences with Yamaha's factory refurbished amps. 4) should I seriously consider another setup? I use the amp for my CD player (60%); turntable (15%); dvd/bluray player (15% and FM tuner (the Yamaha 610 match for the dead amp). Also - there are NO Yamaha dealers within 5 hours of me that have these models to check out, but they look much like my vintage set and the reviews (for new gear, at least) are all very positive.
Any help will be greatly appreciated!
 
Welcome John!
You should be fine running your same speaker set up. I'd imagine if that configuration worked with the ca-610 then it would work with the 1100 or 2100.
I'd still be inclined to buy a refurbed unit if money is a factor. I don't think crossroads experience is indicative of Yamaha refurbs in general, anecdotally speaking of course.
As for the difference between the 1100 and 2100; it may be negligible for your needs. About $1000 less for the 1100 so...:dunno:
 
UPDATE: My replacement Yamaha A-S2000 arrived yesterday and I did a quick test this morning. Everything seems to be working fine out of the box this time! I tried both A & B speaker terminals with no issues. This one has a small cosmetic blemish on edge of front plate (small ding) but its doesn't matter bother me. The amp sounded good during the test but I'll be playing it lot more on the weekend.

To compliment the new amp, I also ordered pair of Canare 4S11 speaker cable this week to bi wire the B&W pair. The existing 12AWG Home Depot wire was showing its age now and so I decided to try a new bi wire connection. The Canare should arrive on Saturday.

More on the weekend...
 
i
I hope someone can help me. I am replacing a vintage Yamaha amp (CA610 purchased in 1978), that has served me well for a long, long time. It was 1 notch below the top of their line at the time. Now I am trying to decide between a Yamaha A-S1100 and A-S2100. I realize there are some additional features for the A-S2100 but it is significantly more expensive and I am not sure the additional cost is justified. I expect this to be the last amp I have to buy.
My questions: 1) will either/both be compatible with my Cambridge Soundworks MC 300 speakers (2 sets) and 10S BassCube? 2) I also power a 3rd set of old bookshelf speakers in an adjacent room off channel Q with a splitter box, and have a 4th set of speakers (outdoors) which I only power when the interior speakers are off; will this configuration still work with either? 3) are the significant price differences for factory refurbishes for these 2 models worth the risk? The OP's experience is troubling, and I want to hear about other experiences with Yamaha's factory refurbished amps. 4) should I seriously consider another setup? I use the amp for my CD player (60%); turntable (15%); dvd/bluray player (15% and FM tuner (the Yamaha 610 match for the dead amp). Also - there are NO Yamaha dealers within 5 hours of me that have these models to check out, but they look much like my vintage set and the reviews (for new gear, at least) are all very positive.
Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Hey John,

With the current $1000 difference between them (new), I'd go for the A-S1100. As @SuperLead100 suggested, the difference between the two may be very small for your needs. I looked hard at the 1000 v/s 2000 question for my purchase but the difference was only $300 (refurb) and so I chose the 2000.
 
Back
Top Bottom