• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

Help me understand teac r2r's

terryfox3

Active Member
After finally getting my nakamichi rx 505 running great i think i want to fool around with a r2r deck.I want that last little bit of air thats missing with my cassette deck because i can't get metal tapes at a reasonable price.
I have been perusing the ebay r2r's.I have decided i want a teac because i can get factory parts.I also have a place here in canada that services teac decks.So even though i really want a revox im looking at getting a teac.
The problem is even after reading all about them im lost.
What do all the model numbers mean?
Im going to use this to archive my records.Just for fun.
What model should i look for?
What is a fair price for a working deck?Im going to buy a working deck and take it in localy to be checked out and aligned.
Im totaly confused the more i read any help is greatly apriecated!
Oh one more thing whats the frequency response of a teac r2r deck?I know i can get 23,000 khz from my nak with a cro2 tape.Will a r2r blow this away?
 
Register to hide this ad
As I see it, there were 1000, 2000, 3000 and 4000 series starting in the late 60s through the early 80s. Each one was a steup up in price/performance, BUT that was only in a given model year. For example, my A-3300SX smokes the A-4010S I had. They would add letters to the numbers as time wore on. So the 3340 was followed by 3340S, then A-3340S, then (in theory) A-3340SX. Each one got some cosmetic refinements, hopefully better internal parts, etc.

Then, sometime in the early 80s (I think), they switched to a different system. X-3, X-2000, etc. Not sure how to decipher those.

To further complicate matters, Tascam (Teac's pro division) made similar decks with different numbers. So a Tascam 34 would be a good alternative to a Teac A-3340S.

I don't think the model numbers tell you much as far as specific features, though. Most Teac/Tascam decks I've dealt with have 7 1/2 IPS with either 3 3/4 or 15IPS. The 7.5/15 machines usually have 2-track/2-channel heads and can handle 10" reels. The 3.75/7.5 have 4-track/2-channel and can only go up to 7" reels. One anomaly are 4-track/4-channel heads (for quadraphonic sound), which I've seen with either set of speeds.

For you, for the best sound, a 2-track/2-channel machine would suffice, but you get less on a reel than you would with other configurations; what can you afford to spend on tape?

4-track/2-channel (or even 4/4) would be the only machines that play most prerecorded tapes, if you ever decide to hunt for those.

Some makers made 4/2 record & play with a 2/2 play head, or vice versa, but I don't know if Teac ever did this.

Otari is another brand that (I believe) still has factory support for their 5050-series machines.
 
Let's hear from everyone else--- I know some of that I typed above isn't 100% accurate, or could be expanded on. That's why I love AK!
 
Hi,

On Teacs, the A-Series as a rule are excellent. The only X-Series recommendable is the X-2000. The X-3, X-7, and X-300 are more plasticky in build and have frail capstan motors. Avoid those. Check the heads carefully on your prospective purchase for wear grooves. Heads can be expensive ($300 up for a set) and motor bearings can be worn. Look for smooth operation and no obnoxious noises. Record some passages on your prospective machine and compare playback with record.
 
As I see it, there were 1000, 2000, 3000 and 4000 series starting in the late 60s through the early 80s. Each one was a steup up in price/performance, BUT that was only in a given model year. For example, my A-3300SX smokes the A-4010S I had. They would add letters to the numbers as time wore on. So the 3340 was followed by 3340S, then A-3340S, then (in theory) A-3340SX. Each one got some cosmetic refinements, hopefully better internal parts, etc.

Then, sometime in the early 80s (I think), they switched to a different system. X-3, X-2000, etc. Not sure how to decipher those.

To further complicate matters, Tascam (Teac's pro division) made similar decks with different numbers. So a Tascam 34 would be a good alternative to a Teac A-3340S.

I don't think the model numbers tell you much as far as specific features, though. Most Teac/Tascam decks I've dealt with have 7 1/2 IPS with either 3 3/4 or 15IPS. The 7.5/15 machines usually have 2-track/2-channel heads and can handle 10" reels. The 3.75/7.5 have 4-track/2-channel and can only go up to 7" reels. One anomaly are 4-track/4-channel heads (for quadraphonic sound), which I've seen with either set of speeds.

For you, for the best sound, a 2-track/2-channel machine would suffice, but you get less on a reel than you would with other configurations; what can you afford to spend on tape?

4-track/2-channel (or even 4/4) would be the only machines that play most prerecorded tapes, if you ever decide to hunt for those.

Some makers made 4/2 record & play with a 2/2 play head, or vice versa, but I don't know if Teac ever did this.

Otari is another brand that (I believe) still has factory support for their 5050-series machines.

Not a bad rundown, but the A-6300 (3.75 / 7.5 IPS) can handle both 7" & 10.5" reels. Same for the 3300 series (execpt for the 3300 2T. A 2 track deck running at both 7.5 & 15 ips).
Don't forget the A-7300. This deck was available in 3.75 & 7.5 ips in 1/4 track and a running speed of 7.5 & 15 ips in 1/2 track. Both 7" & 10.5" reel format.

Ron
 
The X-2000R is a great deck, but it actually has the same capstan mechanism & motor that the X-10, X-20, X-7, X-700 & X-1000 has. What the X-2000R has that the other X series doesn’t have is Cobalt Amphourus Heads, I believe the others are Perm-Alloy. The X-2000R, X-1000R, X-700R and X-20 also have DBX Noise Reduction. The A-Series does not have the latest & greatest electronics, but produce a nice warm analog sound and are built like a tank. I own an X-3R, X-700R, and an X-2000R, all great machines, but not built nearly as well as my A-2300SR, A-4300SX and A-6300. If you can find an A-6300, A-3300SX or SR, you will be quite happy. If you want better performance and are willing to sacrifice two direction recording find an A-3300SX-2T. If you want the latest & greatest, find an X-1000R or an X-2000R, although they can be a bit pricy. If you are interested in 7” reels only, the A-4300SX, X-7R or X-700R are good with the A-4300SX being built like a tank. For the most versatility, The A-3300, A-6300 X-10, X-1000, X-2000 is the best as they will take both 10.5” & 7” Reels.
 
I'd have to say my favorite machines were a Tascam 32 and a Teac A-3300SX. Both are 10", 7.5/15, 2/2 machines, and the Teac (from the late 70s) actually edged out the Tascam (mid 80s) in my opinion. And they're not too expensive, either.
 
I forgot about those 6000 & 7000 units. Looking at the obsoletemedia link, why was there only one 5000-series decks?
 
For 10" Reels & 7"Reels, 3.75cps and 7.75CPS, the Teac 7010GSL, and A-6300,

For 7" Reels 3.75cps and 7.75CPS, Teac A-4300 and A-4300SX. The SX version has seperate Left & Right Channel Monitor Controls.

Frequency Response (Overall) 30-28k Hz (±3dB: 40-24k Hz) at 7-1/2 cps, 30-20k Hz (±3dB: 40-16k Hz) at 3-3/4 cps per Operator Manual.

I have all of them, and some duplicates, and I can't tell the difference between the rebuilt ones and the ones that were only maintained.
 
Wow thats not much different depending on the speed than my nak rx 505.My 505 will do about 22 to 23k with cro2 tapes.+/- 3db
Ive been checking out a 3300sx's on the bay.Ive found one that seems ok .
whats a fair price for one?
What about 15 ips?none of the teac's does 15 ips?Is not 15 ips a prerequsite to get tapes from the tape project?
What about a otari 5050?
 
Hi,

For The Tape Project, you need 15 IPS/ 2 track. You also need CCIR/DIN equalization. The Otari MX-5050 series are excellent for this application. However, you will need to get a device like a Henry Matchbox to use it with most consumer type hi-fi equipment. This unit is Balanced input/output only at +4 level only. Most hi-fi equipment is lower level. Also, if you plan to record on this your tape will be one direction only. A 10" reel of tape is between $30-40 a reel now. You will be able to play back 1/4 track stereo tapes on most Otari 5050 series as they have a switchable 1/4 track playback head and also have NAB equalization. The Otari MX-5050B III can still be bought new for around $5500. Built to order only. One model of Teac does 15 IPS but no CCIR/DIN equalization. Tascam makes machines which have 10 1/2" reels and are 2 tracks like the discontinued BR-30. It doesn't have a 4 track play head though. Does have 15 IPS capability.
 
It depends, 10.5" reels usually come with two different lengths of tape, 2500' and 3600'. at 15 IPS, 2500" will last 33.3 minutes, 3600" will last 48 minutes. (See Attached Chart) This is for one direction only. Teac actually has three decks that can do 15 IPS, A-3300SX-2T, A-7300-2T, and the X2000M.
 

Attachments

  • Tape-Time.jpg
    Tape-Time.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 51
Hi,

For The Tape Project, get the Tascam BR-30. It has CCIR/DIN equalization. The other 3 Teacs mentioned are excellent but have only NAB equalization.
 
It depends, 10.5" reels usually come with two different lengths of tape, 2500' and 3600'. at 15 IPS, 2500" will last 33.3 minutes, 3600" will last 48 minutes. (See Attached Chart) This is for one direction only. Teac actually has three decks that can do 15 IPS, A-3300SX-2T, A-7300-2T, and the X2000M.

Hah! Don't forget the TEAC 32-2B. CCIR and NAB EQ, 7.5 and 15ips, dual capstan, 2 bias and eq settings for different tape.

The Teac 32-2b was built before they went to the Tascam name. It's basically a 2 track X-10 with more features.
 
Yes it was. Depending on the year. It was a transitional machine.

But I think it qualifies, feature wise.
 
Hi,

The transitional machines bore the legend, "Tascam Series" TASCAM stands for Teac Audio-Visual Systems Corporation of America. The A 7300 was originally designed as an OEM product for Ampex which sold this deck as an ATR-700. The Ampex ATR-700 would be a superb deck for you also. This machine was the machine which inspired the formation of TASCAM.
 
Another model to consider is the Teac 40-4, which is a 1/4" 4-track, one of the first consumer multitrack decks (1977). If you are a musician, you can record demos in real analog (if you have a mixer). It can also be used as a standard home listening/recording deck (just connect the RCA jacks for tracks 1 & 3 to your amp).

It can play 7.5 IPS & 15 IPS (but not 3.75 IPS), and can handle large and small reels. The motor on this machine is huge and very strong. The machine weighs about 60 LBs!
 
Back
Top Bottom