• Please note that Audiokarma will be offline briefly for updates early on Monday morning, September 28th.

Help me with a Lenco idler noise

Iansaudio

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
Well the Lenco bug finally hit me! I scored a Lenco L75 at a bake sale of all places, an older guy was selling his stereo with most things in original boxes. I got the Lenco for a great price, it was mostly unused so I proceeded with lubrication of the various moving parts including disassembling the motor - the idler wheel - main switch - and spindle bearing.

Overall, the motor is quieter than any other turntable I own whether DD or BD except when the idler is running it makes an abnormal shushing noise! The idler is silent when spun manually, the motor is silent, and the rubber is not completely cracked either!! Does anyone know what this noise could be? Thank you

Here is a video by the way:
 

Attachments

  • IMG_3124.png
    IMG_3124.png
    426.6 KB · Views: 16
Register to hide this ad
Isn't that the upgraded / aftermarket idler wheel?

Do these have fiber thrust washers on each end of the idler wheel? On other idler tables I've found if the wheel is shimmed too tightly it can make noises. I can't hear anything on these crappy laptop speakers.
 
I have a restored Lenco L75, but I can't say I know that particular sound. My guess is that it may be a degradation of the rubber on the idler wheel itself.
 
The V shape of the idler tire suggests it is a Lenco idler wheel which, in turn, suggests it is a Lenco aluminum wheel. So I suspect the washers and nuts may be as they came from the factory. So hardening of the tire is likely -whether it causes the noise, I can't say.
As a quick and dirty check, you could sand off the top layer of the tire using an emery board. Or you could use brake fluid to soften the rubber - obviously, clean it with alchohol before using it. Give it a day or so.
 
Back
Top Bottom