• The move to the new server is done. There are some software and database maintenance updates in process. This has us passing the hat around to help out. We appreciate any donations. Seriously, even a dollar helps. The payment page may be found here - https://www.audiokarma.org/support.html

HELP!! MY DAUGHTER WANTS A CROSLEY!!!!!

Get her what she wants so she will enjoy it. And you get to enjoy her for a while longer. Don't try to push her to something that isn't what SHE wants. She will grow up and away far too soon. Take the time to listen and respond in a way that may surprise her with results that may surprise you. This from a father of three girls. And besides, what she will be listening to is made for these things.
I like the pink one. And may was well spring for the "record stand" as well.
 
Get her the one she wants, then if she gets bitten by the bug she'll naturally want to upgrade. And, as others have said, you get to bond over playing records!

(As a side note, I think it's interesting that Crosley is popular among newbs getting into vinyl for a reason—it has cool "retro" styling (and is affordable). I'd think that this could be seen as an incredible opportunity for established companies—like Audio Technica, Pro-ject, Orbit, etc.—to design an entry-level all-in-one that competes with Crosley but actually has decent sound. Actually, Crosley should probably do that too! :rflmao:)
 
Don't overthink this. Buy her a nice Crosley:

50932400_Alt03

I'm with this idea.

Go with what she likes. Find one on CL... ( I see tons of them in my area)

And then in 2-3-4 years improve upon it.

The important thing is that this could lead to a real interest of products with good craftsmanship, good sound, and you get to be her guide into the world of music appreciation.
 
DAMMIT! I just showed her this picture and she went gaga for it! I'm sure it would sound like utter crap. And I would not let her use my records on it, but if that gets her to buy her own, that's not so bad? Maybe I can find a used one locally....


No man... not "damn it" ... embrace it brother ! Who cares about the sound/build quality. This is a stepping stone, and an opportunity.

My daughter is only 5 now... and I am already projecting this into my life ... oh how I wish!
 
You could get the AT-LP60 in pink as well, although that color has been discontinued (boo!). Urban Outfitters has it in "exclusive" colors like puke yellow.

As for the infamous Crosley Cruiser, I tried my best to give it a fair but relentlessly detailed review:

 
You can't blame a teenager for wanting to fit in. What you need to do is work on her friends, belittle them to no end for owning cheap equipment.:)
 
I say buy her the Crosley. And then make her listen to your set up to hear the difference. Once she hears how good a well set uo system is. She'll be begging for one herself.

One thing I learned is that teenagers don't want to be told they're wrong and told what to do. You got to ease them into the truth. That's what i did with my daughter. She also asked me for a Crosley. I did not dissuade her but I also let her listen to my set up. In the end she chose this:

20180105_094605-01.jpeg

I gave her my Sony STR 6065 and my Dual 622. Speakers are Dayton audio blahs but it's a good start.
 
A lot of good suggestions but they're all based on OUR wants. Her wants are all that matter at this point. Try too hard to dissuade her from her initial choice could kill the want and she will be like whatever and move on to something else. I will say once more, get her what she wants. Go with her and let her pick it out. Any suggestions concerning sound quality should be kept to yourself.

Take it home and work with her so she knows how to use it and how to care for her vinyl. You have plenty of nice equipment and, hopefully, as time goes on her interest will grow and she will ASK your opinion for upgrades. If she does develop a real interest she will start "listening" to your system and come to appreciate the difference in sound quality. THEN we can move into BT and open up that wallet:-)

Good luck and have fun. I envy you the experience.
 
I would get it for her. I only wish my kids (21 year old twins) had an interest in music beyond anything that comes out of an iPhone...they won't even listen to CD's in their cars because "they're too much trouble".
 
I was 4 years old in 1957 and an aunt heard I liked rock & roll so she bought me my very first LP - Hen Gates and his Gators: Let's Go Dancing to Rock & Roll.

The family record player at the time was my mother's but it only played 45's.

Prompted by my newly acquired 33 1/3 RPM LP, they bought a second hand department store, single speaker "hi-fi" console with a record changer that could play at that speed. But within a year or two, so as I was not constantly intruding on their TV time (they bought a set in 1955) I was given a used RCA Victor portable (suitcase) record player for my room.

The point is, I still have that Hen Gates record. Although it's not in absolutely mint condition, it still sounds pretty good despite having been played to death on some grizzly players. Maybe more awful even by Crosley standards?

Ya gotta start somewhere and your own record player should at least be one you like. I thought that RCA Victor portable was an immense step up from what was in the living room and best of all....it was MINE!!
 
Could be worse... she could want a EAR Disk Master, or a Clearaudio Master Innovation :confused:. I say get her the Crosley, take her to the used record store, and let her have fun.
 
Ya gotta’ start somewhere!

Let her get the one she wants and learn from there.

I’m not sure that the Crosley will actually “Ruin” the Records but even if she wears a few records it’s worth it because she’s learning the vinyl experience with Dad.
 
One of the girls on my step daughter's dance team wanted a record player and got one last Christmas . I think it was an Audio Technica. She mostly listens to newer bands, but likes some 'Old Music' ( that means Smashing Pumpkins and Nirvana in her world). The point here is the stuff she likes is all pretty expensive $25 a pop at the very min. On top of that there is no record shop in town (used or otherwise) so it's an hour drive with Mum,or online mail order with shipping. A few months ago I found out that she only had one album. So I dug out an extra copy of Cindy Lauper's debut disc that I had and gifted it to her. Her mum says it's her favorite and she plays it all the time and is now listening to other artists that are cheaper to get on vinyl. So keep this in mind as far as musical tastes go. This could be an opportunity to expand them.
 
Another issue I just thought of: aside from the Beatles, it's mostly modern Top-40 type music that she likes. Pink, Taylor Swift kinda stuff (no judgments, okay?). And that music is EXPENSIVE to buy on vinyl, even used.

Yeah, buying her the typical 60's, 70's, or 80's dollar bin crap isn't going to cut it. She's probably going to want what she hears on the radio, streaming services, or tv. I doubt she will go for Barbara Streisand or the soft stuff from the pre 80's.
 
While new pop LPs are expensive, bargain bins are full of 70s-80s pop, so maybe she'll find some she likes. Linda Ronstadt, maybe? Tina Turner? Whitney Houston?

As for the turntable/record player, unless she also really likes one of the U-Turns I'll join the get her the Crosley she wants crowd. Maybe in a couple years she'll want something that sounds better, but I'd get her what will make her happy.
 
I'm amazed by all the comments this thread is getting! I guess I'm not the only father of a teen here, eh? ;-)

I'm looking at this model, it has a decent AT magnetic cart: https://www.amazon.com/Crosley-CR6010A-RE-Collegiate-Portable-Turntable/dp/B008P8ELDQ?th=1

Or this one, which is newer, still with an AT cart, and more portable (which could be an important advantage AND MIGHT EVEN HELP HER SPREAD THE JOY OF VINYL TO HER FRIENDS, not that *I* want to evangelize or anything....): https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071LHV583/ref=twister_B074XYH4S8?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

And come to think of it, she *used* to like some 80s music like the Bangles, She might well dig Cyndy Laupner and other 80s and 90s singers. Hell, she used to like the Everly Brothers when she was younger. I'm feeling a whole lot more hopeful, thanks to everyone!!!!
 
Back
Top Bottom